Author Topic: New Study Finds Uber Doesn’t Put Taxi Drivers Out of Work, But Does Drive Down Pay  (Read 1736 times)

Offline kevindavis007

Economic researchers from Oxford this week published an analysis of labor data evaluating the impact of Uber on professional drivers in markets it enters. The somewhat surprising conclusion is that the arrival of Uber on average increased employment for both waged taxi drivers and self-employed drivers.

However, the study also confirmed critics’ fears about pay, finding that Uber drove down the earnings of traditionally-employed taxi drivers by as much as 10%. The authors argue that this decline was offset market-wide by the increased earnings of Uber drivers themselves, driven by the Uber app's efficient matching of drivers with customers.

Overall, the researchers found “little evidence of adverse impacts” on the market for drivers, and questioned the wisdom of efforts to restrict Uber on the grounds of defending workers.

The study’s conclusions clash, at least superficially, with other research into Uber’s labor impact. Recent reports have Uber driving down taxi volumes in Los Angeles not by 10%, but nearly 30%. Uber drivers, meanwhile, have often been vocally dissatisfied with their pay, and the company has been fined for exaggerating drivers’ earning potential.

Looking beyond just wages, a recent U.K. government report argued that drivers were overworked and, as independent contractors, asked to shoulder increased financial downside risks compared to taxi drivers. That report, based on interview testimony, may have captured drivers’ subjective experiences more richly, but the current Oxford study drew on a much larger pool of hard statistical data.

Squaring such conflicting conclusions is tricky in part because of the mix of wage-earners and independent contractors, even within traditional taxi services. But many taxi drivers are clearly taking home less pay while working longer hours. Perhaps even more convincing evidence of the negative effects of Uber has been the cratering value of big-city taxi medallions.

One possible explanation of any Uber benefit to taxi drivers, though, would be that the ease of using Uber has increased demand for all driving services by changing consumer habits.

The Oxford analysis made use of Uber’s gradual expansion in different cities across the United States, correlating that expansion with worker data from the U.S.
Census’ American Community Survey. The report found increased driver employment corresponded with Uber’s successive arrival in a variety of different markets, decreasing the likelihood that the changes were driven by factors other than Uber.

The authors compare their findings to other instances where technological efficiencies have actually expanded particular labor forces—the growth in bank tellers that followed the introduction of the ATM, and the increase in gas station employment that came with self-service pumps.Of course, those are closer parallels to fully autonomous cars than to Uber’s ride-matching app. And it’s hard to imagine, once driverless cars inevitably arrive, how there will be much room at all left for drivers.

Source: http://fortune.com/2017/01/28/uber-taxi-oxford-labor-data/
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Then maybe Taxi drivers have priced themselves out of the market due to having monopolies or should increase their quality of service to make premium costs worth it. I look at the taxi service in our town, who constantly speaks against Uber coming in (no one has applied officially yet) and their are using torn up old cars, with trashed seats, that smell of tobacco.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Example current price: O'Hare Airport to Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel, $28 with UberX. $50 by airport shuttle (that you share with about 10 other people and takes twice as long).

Offline kevindavis007

Example current price: O'Hare Airport to Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel, $28 with UberX. $50 by airport shuttle (that you share with about 10 other people and takes twice as long).

That is correct.. To me a trip to O'hare would cost me at least $60 alone. Uber would cost me $35..

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Because using "Uber" is young and hip and cool and cheaper, it probably means more young people will take the Uber, instead of driving drunk and killing people.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
It doesn't help that Uber has been operating at an annual loss of about $3 billion. Lyft's losses are a smaller, but still huge, $360 million, spending almost three times as much money as comes in.

Ride-sharers are not making money at this and at this point it's not clear that they ever will. These taxi companies are getting hurt because they're being undercut by companies able and willing to take huge financial losses. Eventually the money funding the ride-sharers is going to dry up, and the taxi companies are going to have to find a way to be ready when that happens.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Applewood

The local Yellow Cab has an app called ZTrip.  I believe this is available in other cities as well.  Works something like Uber. You use the app to request a cab.  You also have an account whereby your trips are charged to the payment method you designate on your account  (usually, a credit card).  No need for cash when you take a trip and robberies of drivers is reduced or even non-existent.

However, unlike Uber, ZTrip does not give you a ballpark figure for the cost of your trip.  So your driver can take the long way to or from the airport and overcharge you.  Also, I can't say whether ZTrip vehicles are as pristine as Uber vehicles, or that the drivers are at least polite, if not downright friendly like Uber drivers. I know that before ZTrip, the local Yellow Cab never really cared that their vehicles smelled bad or the drivers were surly or couldn't speak English.

I started using Uber back in 2015 and I love it.  Cheaper than a cab and far more reliable than the public bus or ACCESS (shared ride service for the elderly or disabled). The vehicles are clean and mechanically sound, and I don't have to be concerned about being gouged.   Really would hate to see the company go under.

By the way, most of the Uber drivers I encountered are retirees, between jobs or driving to make a little extra money.  One driver told me that his earnings as an Uber driver allowed him to take his family to Disney World last year.  Driving for Uber is not meant to be a permanent job or primary source of income.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 01:45:12 am by Applewood »

Offline kevindavis007

The local Yellow Cab has an app called ZTrip.  I believe this is available in other cities as well.  Works something like Uber. You use the app to request a cab.  You also have an account whereby your trips are charged to the payment method you designate on your account  (usually, a credit card).  No need for cash when you take a trip and robberies of drivers is reduced or even non-existent.

However, unlike Uber, ZTrip does not give you a ballpark figure for the cost of your trip.  So your driver can take the long way to or from the airport and overcharge you.  Also, I can't say whether ZTrip vehicles are as pristine as Uber vehicles, or that the drivers are at least polite, if not downright friendly like Uber drivers. I know that before ZTrip, the local Yellow Cab never really cared that there vehicles smelled bad or the drivers were surly or couldn't speak English.

I started using Uber back in 2015 and I love it.  Cheaper than a cab and far more reliable than the public bus or ACCESS (shared ride service for the elderly or disabled). The vehicles are clean and mechanically sound, and I don't have to be concerned about being gouged.   Really would hate to see the company go under.

I don't think it will.. As a part time Uber driver you can't believe the amount of people using it.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I live in Boston and I can wholeheartedly say that cabbies are the biggest group of scumbags on the face of the planet and even worse drivers.

Offline Suppressed

Then maybe Taxi drivers have priced themselves out of the market due to having monopolies or should increase their quality of service to make premium costs worth it. I look at the taxi service in our town, who constantly speaks against Uber coming in (no one has applied officially yet) and their are using torn up old cars, with trashed seats, that smell of tobacco.

I installed Uber when I was visiting Philly on business, and the taxi drivers created a traffic jam in which I was stuck for nearly an hour, missing my meeting and nearly bursting my bladder!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

Driving for Uber is not meant to be a permanent job or primary source of income.

Who determines "not meant to be"?  I'm not following.

I know of full-time Uber drivers.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Applewood

Who determines "not meant to be"?  I'm not following.

I know of full-time Uber drivers.

Then my apologies.  I stand corrected.   The ones I encountered were not full time and permanent. 

To really make a decent living, a driver would have to work  7 days a week, 16 hours a day.  They get a percentage of the cost of each trip and Uber gets the rest.  Here the most profitable trips are to/from the airport.  Local trips don't pay well at all.