Author Topic: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!  (Read 95135 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!
« Reply #650 on: August 12, 2017, 06:55:01 am »
Anyone see the cat at the Cardinals game?
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #651 on: August 12, 2017, 07:01:44 am »
Anyone see the cat at the Cardinals game?

There was a video posted here.  Kitty clawed the snot out of a grounds crewman tho tried to run off the field with him like a football. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #652 on: August 14, 2017, 03:54:17 pm »
Power Rankings: Red Sox, Cardinals soar toward the top

What the Hell are power rankings?  :shrug:

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #653 on: August 14, 2017, 04:01:31 pm »
Power Rankings: Red Sox, Cardinals soar toward the top

What the Hell are power rankings?  :shrug:
@Machiavelli
In ESPN.com's case, it's ranking each team according to how they performed in the previous week
measured against their season-long performance to date.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #654 on: August 14, 2017, 04:02:39 pm »
Don't look now, but the Angels just snuck into the lead for the second American League wild
card slot after sweeping the Mariners and knocking a lot of wind out of the Mariners' sails.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #656 on: August 15, 2017, 03:50:15 pm »
Cuban born (1941) Paul Casanova has passed.  He played for the Senators and then, Braves.

http://babalublog.com/2017/08/14/we-remember-paul-casanova-1941-2017/

Casanova set career highs in games played (141), plate appearances (551), and RBIs (53) in 1967. One particularly memorable game started on the evening of June 12. In Washington, the Senators and the Chicago White Sox played a 22-inning marathon. Casanova caught the whole thing, receiving 268 pitches.

As he recalled in 2012, “The reason the game went so long was because of my defense” – he wiped out a number of runners. He went 1-for-9, missing a chance to end it in the 20th inning when he hit into a third-to-home-to-first double play with the bases loaded – but his one hit was the game-winner at 2:44 A.M.”

http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/a96308de

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #657 on: August 18, 2017, 05:40:47 pm »
Hyde: Is Stanton the legit HR king if he hits 62? Even he wonders | Commentary

Dave Hyde
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
August 16, 2017

If I’m Giancarlo Stanton, I’d feel conflicted about the Steroid Era, too. I’d think Roger Maris’ 61 home runs in a season is the legitimate record, too.

“Considering some things, I do,’’ he said Wednesday.

If I’m Stanton, I’d note the only three players to hit more than 61 home runs – Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa – had more performance-enhancing drugs in them than an East German swim team.

“But at the same time it doesn’t matter,’’ Stanton said. “The record is the record. But, personally, I do [think 61 is the record]...

If PED users like Bonds, McGwire and Sosa need an asterisk by their name, he said, so does Babe Ruth since he only faced white pitchers...
More

Wikipedia

Career stats

@EasyAce

« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 05:49:01 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #658 on: August 18, 2017, 05:57:22 pm »
If PED users like Bonds, McGwire and Sosa need an asterisk by their name, he said, so does Babe Ruth since he only faced white pitchers...

I've heard that before, and I think it's a crap argument.  How many pitchers did Dimaggio face that were named "Alouicius?"  None?  Then he gets an asterisk by any record he may have set.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #659 on: August 18, 2017, 06:45:32 pm »
I've heard that before, and I think it's a crap argument.  How many pitchers did Dimaggio face that were named "Alouicius?"  None?  Then he gets an asterisk by any record he may have set.
No need for an asterisk next to Babe Ruth's name, but it is true that---through absolutely no fault of his own
---Ruth didn't face a complete offering of baseball talent pool in his time and place. He also didn't play night
baseball, which really would have had an impact on his statistics. I've seen assorted calculations that
say if he'd played in the night ball era his batting average would have been somewhere around .303 lifetime
(and that would only have put him in the company of, oh, Willie Mays), whereby someone like Ralph Kiner
(to whom Branch Rickey insanely compared Ruth in his bids to keep Kiner's salaries suppressed, when
Rickey ran the Pirates) would have seen his batting average jump to about .312 if he'd played in the
strictly day-ball era. Those calculations debated whether Ruth would have hit 714 lifetime home runs
in the night ball era, though he might have gotten within the neighbourhood.

Sometimes forgotten factor involving Babe Ruth: All those triples he hit. He was mostly a dead pull hitter
but when he went the other way, especially in Yankee Stadium, he could pick up a lot of extra triples
no matter how much of a leadfoot he was on the bases because of that left center field you usually
needed to call a cab to reach from the plate. He had the same benefit when the Yankees played in the
Polo Grounds during his first three Yankee seasons.

Branch Rickey's nastiest lie about Ralph Kiner: that the Pirates built a short-porch specifically for Kiner
whereas the Yankees didn't for Babe Ruth. It simply wasn't true. The Yankees built Yankee Stadium
especially to accommodate Ruth's primary power, and why would they not? If you have a left-
handed hitter with that kind of thump and you're building a new park, and he's your number one
box office draw before Lou Gehrig arrives to match him, are you really going to build
a park that would kill him? Or build one that's great for him? The Pirates actually brought in the fence
not for Kiner but for Hank Greenberg, whom they acquired before bringing up Kiner. Greenberg in
fact became Kiner's mentor, teaching him how to modify and control his powerful swing and how
to play the outfield two batters ahead. The new short porch was first nicknamed Greenberg Gardens;
when Greenberg retired and Kiner became the power hitting draw for the Pirates the nickname
was changed to Kiner's Korner.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 06:56:17 pm by EasyAce »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #660 on: August 18, 2017, 06:53:21 pm »
No need for an asterisk next to Babe Ruth's name, but it is true that---through absolutely no fault of his own
---Ruth didn't face a complete offering of baseball talent pool in his time and place. He also didn't play night
baseball, which really would have had an impact on his statistics. I've seen assorted calculations that
say if he'd played in the night ball era his batting average would have been somewhere around .303 lifetime
(and that would only have put him in the company of, oh, Willie Mays), whereby someone like Ralph Kiner
(to whom Branch Rickey insanely compared Ruth in his bids to keep Kiner's salaries suppressed, when
Rickey ran the Pirates) would have seen his batting average jump to about .312 if he'd played in the
strictly day-ball era. Those calculations debated whether Ruth would have hit 714 lifetime home runs
in the night ball era, though he might have gotten within the neighbourhood.

Precisely.  Because the game has always been changing the rules here and there, one can make the case that it's impossible to compare any players at all who came from different eras.  We have the "limp ball" era, the high mound era, the pre-DH era...the list goes on.
I will NOT comply.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #661 on: August 18, 2017, 06:58:23 pm »
Don't look now, but the Angels just snuck into the lead for the second American League wild
card slot after sweeping the Mariners and knocking a lot of wind out of the Mariners' sails.

The Rangers have played well since getting rid of Darvish,  it's like he was a cloud hanging over them all year.

I like their chances of getting the second wild card, since of all the teams battling for it, they are the only ones with a positive run differential for the season. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 06:58:46 pm by dfwgator »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #662 on: August 18, 2017, 06:59:47 pm »
Precisely.  Because the game has always been changing the rules here and there, one can make the case that it's impossible to compare any players at all who came from different eras.  We have the "limp ball" era, the high mound era, the pre-DH era...the list goes on.
The forgotten factoid about the era of actual or alleged performance-enhancing substances: power
numbers might have spiked anyway . . . because of a large volume of yummy new ballparks coming
into use that favoured hitting rather remarkably. (Which makes men like Greg Maddux and Tom
Glavine even more great, considering they weren't power pitchers and had to make their Hall of
Fame cases pitching with finesse and brains against both the big boppers and ballparks
that usually killed pitchers.)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 07:01:37 pm by EasyAce »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #663 on: August 18, 2017, 08:03:32 pm »
The forgotten factoid about the era of actual or alleged performance-enhancing substances: power
numbers might have spiked anyway . . . because of a large volume of yummy new ballparks coming
into use that favoured hitting rather remarkably. (Which makes men like Greg Maddux and Tom
Glavine even more great, considering they weren't power pitchers and had to make their Hall of
Fame cases pitching with finesse and brains against both the big boppers and ballparks
that usually killed pitchers.)

A friend of mine showed me Barry Bonds' stats, and he made a good case when comparing pre-juice Bonds to the later numbers he could have broken Aaron's record without the juice.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #664 on: August 18, 2017, 08:17:32 pm »
A friend of mine showed me Barry Bonds' stats, and he made a good case when comparing pre-juice Bonds to the later numbers he could have broken Aaron's record without the juice.

I think that Bonds' pre-juice stats were good enough to get him into the HOF in the first year of his eligibility.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #665 on: August 18, 2017, 08:22:56 pm »
I think that Bonds' pre-juice stats were good enough to get him into the HOF in the first year of his eligibility.
Exactly.

Some time back, I did a little research on the players who did use actual or alleged performance-enhancing
substances, and I noticed something: the majority of those players, whether they played in the Show or
never got out of the minor leagues, showed no noticeable spikes in their batting statistics while they were
thought to have been juicing---and, if anything, a considerable volume of those players showed
drops
in their batting stats while on the juice.
Two major leaguers I can think of who never showed Bonds-
like jumps in their statistics and also showed noticeable dips in their stats during their juicing periods
were Jose Canseco (who likes to think he's the Johnny Appleseed of actual or alleged PEDs) and Jason Giambi
(who fessed up on his own).

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #666 on: August 18, 2017, 08:25:52 pm »
The one thing that put a crimp in Joe DiMaggio's style---he was a stubborn power hitter who believed to his
soul that hitting the opposite way wasn't "legitimate" hitting, and thus Yankee Stadium arrested his power
numbers. There was once a rumour that DiMaggio might be traded for Ted Williams, and such a trade
would have benefitted both players: DiMaggio would have produced fatter power stats hitting in Fenway
Park as his home park, and Williams would have gone from off-the-charts to Ruthian territory in his
power numbers hitting in Yankee Stadium. They were both off-the-chart hitters no matter where
they played, but that trade if consummated would have put a shot of rocket fuel into both men's
slugging stats.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #667 on: August 20, 2017, 07:16:19 pm »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #668 on: August 24, 2017, 12:58:19 am »
MLB to implement code of conduct for fans at ballparks in 2018

Scott Lauber
ESPN
August 23, 2017

Effective next season, Major League Baseball intends to implement a universal code of conduct for fans who attend games.
More

Things I would like to see:
  • No more towel twirling. It interferes with play and it's stupid.
  • No more interviews with game participants while the game is in progress. Leave it to before or after the game. These during game interviews disrupt the game.

@EasyAce

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #669 on: August 24, 2017, 01:54:02 am »

Scott Lauber
ESPN
August 23, 2017
More

• No more interviews with game participants while the game is in progress. Leave it to before or after the game. These during game interviews disrupt the game.

@EasyAce
@Machiavelli
Ban the Wave!!!

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #670 on: August 24, 2017, 02:04:00 am »
This one's gotta hurt---Bad enough: Rich Hill (Dodgers) loses a perfect game on
a ninth-inning error. Worse: He loses the no-hitter in the bottom of the tenth when
Josh Harrison leading off hits one out for the 1-0 Pirates win.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #671 on: August 24, 2017, 02:08:21 am »

Scott Lauber
ESPN
August 23, 2017
More

@EasyAce

Ban people who insist on shrilly whistling the "let's go" chant in between pitches.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #672 on: August 24, 2017, 02:08:45 am »
This one's gotta hurt---Bad enough: Rich Hill (Dodgers) loses a perfect game on
a ninth-inning error. Worse: He loses the no-hitter in the bottom of the tenth when
Josh Harrison leading off hits one out for the 1-0 Pirates win.

Heart-breaking.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #673 on: August 24, 2017, 02:18:23 am »
Heart-breaking.
@Polly Ticks
In 1965, Jim Maloney of the Reds took a no-hitter against the Mets into the eleventh inning,
including eighteen strikeouts, before Mets outfielder Johnny Lewis led off the bottom of the eleventh
and hit one out for the 1-0 Mets win. But later the same season Maloney became the first pitcher
to consummate an extra-innings no-hitter, beating the Cubs 1-0.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #674 on: August 24, 2017, 02:24:46 am »
@Polly Ticks
In 1965, Jim Maloney of the Reds took a no-hitter against the Mets into the eleventh inning,
including eighteen strikeouts, before Mets outfielder Johnny Lewis led off the bottom of the eleventh
and hit one out for the 1-0 Mets win. But later the same season Maloney became the first pitcher
to consummate an extra-innings no-hitter, beating the Cubs 1-0.

I love a happy ending!!