Author Topic: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!  (Read 95198 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!
« Reply #300 on: May 27, 2017, 03:39:42 am »
Something else that could help the game---stop looking exclusively at pitchers who can throw lamb chops
past wolves and start looking for the pitchers who pitch with their brains no matter how fast their fastballs
are. Show me the pitcher with a mixture of off-speed and breaking stuff and brains in hand with a decent
fastball, and I'll show you a few Hall of Famers. (Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Warren Spahn, Juan Marichal
---and he sure didn't hurt himself with those fourteen or so different windups he had, either---to name a
few.) Give me the brain pitcher and a) he'll win me a lot of ballgames and b) have a pretty long career
for me.

The pitcher who can live on fastballs in the big leagues hasn't come along yet. The closest we ever came was J.R. Richard (no not Nolan Ryan who lived on intimidating hitters) and even he couldn't do it.  If you are going to make it in the bigs you are going to have to have two are three pitches that you can throw for strikes every time you go out there! That and a catcher that knows YOU and calls the game accordingly goes a long way these days. 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #301 on: May 27, 2017, 03:49:57 am »
The pitcher who can live on fastballs in the big leagues hasn't come along yet. The closest we ever came was J.R. Richard (no not Nolan Ryan who lived on intimidating hitters) and even he couldn't do it.  If you are going to make it in the bigs you are going to have to have two are three pitches that you can throw for strikes every time you go out there! That and a catcher that knows YOU and calls the game accordingly goes a long way these days.

Man we had an awesome staff '79-'80.  Fireballers Richard and Ryan, with Joe Niekro knuckling in between.  Add Sambito, and Smith in the pen.......    Too bad we couldn't hit a lick.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #302 on: May 27, 2017, 04:08:06 am »
We've had more major league pitchers living on their fastballs than you think, and to the extent they have other
pitches they're more or less show-me pitches to set up more fastballs. Pitchers who can live on brains and off-
speed stuff are a little more rare now than in even Nolan Ryan's day.

J.R. Richard didn't go down because of his fastball, he went down because the Astros mistook his shoulder
fatigue for laziness and didn't heed a warning sign---and boom! Stroke, career over. If they'd paid attention
sooner a good doctor would have seen what was coming and stopped it.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #303 on: May 27, 2017, 04:18:30 am »
. . . a catcher that knows YOU and calls the game accordingly goes a long way these days.
How about a catcher who knows the hitters in the league? He could know you and your tendencies but if he doesn't
know the hitters a little better, you're a dead duck before you throw the first pitch. If I'm a manager and I've got
a hot new young catcher, the first thing I tell him is get every scouting report you can get on every hitter in the
league, watch what these hitters do when you see them, then worry about what your pitchers are going to
throw. The number one way to get your pitcher on the page is to know as much as you can about the hitters you're
going to face before you get out there. Otherwise, you're going to call for that delicious slider your man throws
thinking no way they're gonna hit this but you're going to got some splainin' to do when that delicious
slider got hit for delicious distance.

I once asked Catfish [Hunter] why he never shook me off. He said, "It's your job to know the hitters. You just tell
me what to throw and I'll throw it.
---Ray Fosse.

I looked confident out there but I really wasn't. It was Yogi [Berra] who gave me that confidence with what he knew about
me and what he knew about the other guys. If anyone else was my catcher, I couldn't have pitched the way I did.

---Whitey Ford.

(A favourite Berra story: He happened upon a meeting of pitchers before an All-Star Game and the subject was pitching
to Stan Musial. "Forget it," Berra said, deadpan. "You guys are trying to figure out in fifteen minutes what nobody's
figured out in fifteen years.")

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #304 on: May 27, 2017, 11:59:53 am »
We've had more major league pitchers living on their fastballs than you think, and to the extent they have other
pitches they're more or less show-me pitches to set up more fastballs. Pitchers who can live on brains and off-
speed stuff are a little more rare now than in even Nolan Ryan's day.

J.R. Richard didn't go down because of his fastball, he went down because the Astros mistook his shoulder
fatigue for laziness and didn't heed a warning sign---and boom! Stroke, career over. If they'd paid attention
sooner a good doctor would have seen what was coming and stopped it.

Never said Richard went down because of the fastball.  I said he couldn't make it throwing them exclusively and he got bombed several times before he figured that out.

Show me a pitcher that throws fastballs 80% or more and I'll show you a pitcher who's career will be short!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #305 on: May 28, 2017, 04:25:29 am »
Randy Johnson?  Any pigeon will tell you his fastball was murder.

For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #306 on: May 28, 2017, 05:58:15 am »
Never said Richard went down because of the fastball.  I said he couldn't make it throwing them exclusively and he got bombed several times before he figured that out.
He lived on his fastball, which wouldn't have been a horror except that it took him several seasons to develop
control of the pitch. When he wasn't getting bombed, he was handing out walks like they were holiday candy until
he finally learned control.

Did you know: The night Richard broke the National League's record for seasonal strikeouts by a righthander (he passed
Tom Seaver's 290), he pitched against . . . Jim Bouton, making an odd comeback with the Braves. Bouton was
pitching with little but a knuckleball, yet he and Richard went mano-a-mano, though Bouton scattered five hits,
and each came out with the game tied at two. (Joaquin Andujar lost in relief for the Astros.)

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #307 on: May 28, 2017, 06:05:01 am »
Show me a pitcher that throws fastballs 80% or more and I'll show you a pitcher who's career will be short!
If he throws them to the same spots, sure his career will be short. You can live on a single pitch
if you know how to change speeds with it and work the entire zone, not just throw them through
the same slot.

One fastballer I remember: Dick Radatz, for a few years the Red Sox relief ace. He was, until
Ted Williams convinced him to try throwing a sinkerball Williams thought Radatz could handle.
(Radatz threw about 85-90 percent fastballs, was expert at the "climbing the ladder" kind of
fastball pitching, and usually threw a couple of changeups in for good measure.)

Living on the fastball didn't kill him. Fixing what wasn't broken did. (Especially after he'd pitched
an average 130+ innings a year out of the pen from 1962-65.) Radatz began losing what
made him so fearsome after three seasons. He lost his control and his arm gave him fits, and
he disappeared almost as fast as he'd arrived in the first place.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 06:08:40 am by EasyAce »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #308 on: May 29, 2017, 09:32:00 pm »
How about them Astros?  GREAT comeback! 

Go Stros!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #309 on: May 29, 2017, 09:37:57 pm »

Go Stros!
Those guys look more tenacious every game.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #310 on: May 29, 2017, 09:42:22 pm »

Go Stros!

Still can't believe it.  I bet someone has to help Santana pick up his jaw off the floor.  Leaving at the end of 7 with a 6 run lead, and have your bullpen give up 11? :beer:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 09:45:11 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #311 on: May 29, 2017, 09:44:19 pm »
Those guys look more tenacious every game.

They are the real deal!  Hope they can stay healthy!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #312 on: May 29, 2017, 11:30:54 pm »
Bryce Harper, Hunter Strickland start bench-clearing brawl between Nats, Giants

Washington Nationals star Bryce Harper charged San Francisco Giants reliever Hunter Strickland in the eighth inning of the teams' game on Monday.

Strickland plunked Harper in the hip with a 98 mph pitch. Harper then gestured at Strickland with his bat, strode to the mound, threw his helmet at the Giants pitcher and the two exchanged blows as benches cleared.

The 6-foot-4, 220-pound right-hander had to be carried off the field by several of his Giants teammates to keep him away from the melee.

It was the first time the two had met since Harper hit two home runs off Strickland during the 2014 NLDS between the Nats and Giants.

video at link

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19492344/bryce-harper-washington-nationals-hunter-strickland-san-francisco-giants-start-bench-clearing-brawl

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #313 on: May 30, 2017, 12:43:53 am »
Bryce Harper, Hunter Strickland start bench-clearing brawl between Nats, Giants

Washington Nationals star Bryce Harper charged San Francisco Giants reliever Hunter Strickland in the eighth inning of the teams' game on Monday.

Strickland plunked Harper in the hip with a 98 mph pitch. Harper then gestured at Strickland with his bat, strode to the mound, threw his helmet at the Giants pitcher and the two exchanged blows as benches cleared.

The 6-foot-4, 220-pound right-hander had to be carried off the field by several of his Giants teammates to keep him away from the melee.

It was the first time the two had met since Harper hit two home runs off Strickland during the 2014 NLDS between the Nats and Giants.

video at link

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19492344/bryce-harper-washington-nationals-hunter-strickland-san-francisco-giants-start-bench-clearing-brawl

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Apparently, Strickland held a grudge over those two division series bombs from three years earlier. ;)

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #314 on: May 30, 2017, 12:45:34 am »
There went his hopes for a third MVP and maybe the Angels' hopes of staying in the races . . .

Angels' Mike Trout to disabled list with torn thumb ligament

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #315 on: May 30, 2017, 12:47:40 am »
Harper did NOT throw his helmet at Strickland.

At the last moment he slammed it into the 2nd base infield grass.

Harper should get ZERO games suspension for defending himself.

Strickland should get a whole month off.    :laugh:    freaking weasel.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #316 on: May 30, 2017, 12:51:30 am »

Sorry!  Watched the video and don't see it that way at all!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #317 on: May 30, 2017, 01:55:35 am »

@DCPatriot
I saw the same video. Looked to me like Harper did want to throw his helmet to one side and not
at Strickland. And Strickland clearly was aiming his pitch at Harper's anatomy.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #318 on: May 30, 2017, 02:30:21 am »
This Tigers Royals game is going to give me a stroke.

8-7 Tigers bases loaded with Tigers and 1 out.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #319 on: May 30, 2017, 03:05:35 am »
This Tigers Royals game is going to give me a stroke.

8-7 Tigers bases loaded with Tigers and 1 out.
Looks like Miguel Cabrera killed your stroke in the crib---bases loaded, two-run single. 10-7 Tigers your final.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #320 on: May 30, 2017, 12:31:13 pm »
There went his hopes for a third MVP and maybe the Angels' hopes of staying in the races . . .

Angels' Mike Trout to disabled list with torn thumb ligament

Hated to see that.  I was looking forward to watching him yesterday, today, and tomorrow.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #321 on: May 30, 2017, 03:20:16 pm »
Astros currently at 36/16 52 games in 110 left to play.  If they simply play .500 from here on out they finish 91/71.

Just sayin!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #322 on: May 30, 2017, 03:23:02 pm »
Astros currently at 36/16 52 games in 110 left to play.  If they simply play .500 from here on out they finish 91/71.

Just sayin!

Yep.....now I can agree they're for real.

...while my Orioles have fallen like a rock.

The Yankees are due for a slump.     I'm waiting........     :laugh:

Offline skeeter

« Reply #323 on: May 30, 2017, 03:45:17 pm »

Funny way to defend ones self. But Stricklan pretty clearly threw at him.

If Harper wasn't such a punk he'd a just taken first base. Whats that - his 9th ejection?

He'll get the max suspension for that helmut deal.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 03:49:51 pm by skeeter »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #324 on: May 30, 2017, 04:14:29 pm »
Funny way to defend ones self. But Stricklan pretty clearly threw at him.

If Harper wasn't such a punk he'd a just taken first base. Whats that - his 9th ejection?

He'll get the max suspension for that helmut deal.

Luckily, the helmet slipped and went into the grass on the 2nd base side of the mound.

Getting a 5 game (one start) suspension for waiting THREE F**KING YEARS to get back at one of the best players in the GAME with a lethal weapon 98 mph fastball is insane and criminal.

He should get a minimum of a 30 game suspension.   

GD Giants are a dozen games under .500 and about to have a fire sale.

Buster Posey knows that Scherzer is going to nail him tonight....or Strasburg tomorrow.

Talk about Posey.......the "Posey Rule" and the "Chase Utley Rule" immediately came about with SAFETY of the player (asset) in mind.

We need a "Harper Rule" now.

Harper gets 5 games.   Strickland gets 30 games.

And Harper presses formal charges for assault with a deadly weapon.   :laugh: