Author Topic: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!  (Read 95194 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!
« Reply #625 on: August 01, 2017, 04:44:12 pm »
Ah yeah.  That is exactly what I'm saying.  Groupies were groupies.  Don't mater if it is baseball or rockstars.  I never checked an ID when a willing partner was waving me around 3rd base  and sending me to home plate.

A sign of our times.  In a college today you need an ID and a signed permission release that's been notarized.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #626 on: August 01, 2017, 07:19:51 pm »
heheheheheheheheheh

(Think about it: Liriano is still serviceable if the Astros hold to their plan to put him in the bullpen.
He'll help them there. The Astros got him for pretty cheap, extremely spare parts.)

I would agree. with the rise of Jake Marisnick's batting average, and the way Derek Fisher has been playing since being called up, Aoki and Teoscar became expendable.
So far, I hear the Liriano will be coming out of the bullpen.
While the Astros bullpen is better than it was last year, it still needed help. A lot of people said we needed another starter, but we have what amounts to 7 on the roster now.
Keuchel, McHugh, McCullers, Fiers, Morton, Peacock, and Martes.
(Sounds like a law firm).

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #627 on: August 01, 2017, 07:53:58 pm »
Really let loose a blockbuster didn't we?  /s

may not be earth shattering, that's for sure, but it think it was a good trade.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #628 on: August 01, 2017, 08:39:09 pm »
Pete Rose having serious allegations made against him but the allegations are from the '70s; they should give it a rest. The accuser should have said something long ago. This is 40 years later now.

I don't disagree, but this is sure bad timing from the Phillies' standpoint - in less than two weeks the Phils are going to honor Pete by awarding him a plaque on their Wall of Fame.   The game should be close to a sell-out - Rose was a key piece of our very first World Championship team.   Still, the Phils are a very image-conscious team and this has got to be embarrassing.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Wingnut

« Reply #629 on: August 01, 2017, 09:10:56 pm »
A sign of our times.  In a college today you need an ID and a signed permission release that's been notarized.

Pretty soon A third party, non-participatory witness to the act would be prudent.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #630 on: August 01, 2017, 10:00:03 pm »
Pretty soon A third party, non-participatory witness to the act would be prudent.

Whatchoo mean, "pretty soon," Willis?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Wingnut

« Reply #631 on: August 01, 2017, 10:14:34 pm »
Whatchoo mean, "pretty soon," Willis?

Well hell,  Where does one sign up for that job!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #632 on: August 01, 2017, 10:29:11 pm »
Well hell,  Where does one sign up for that job!

WTF would you want "non-participant" status?  Sign away, bubba.
I will NOT comply.

Wingnut

« Reply #633 on: August 01, 2017, 10:30:10 pm »
WTF would you want "non-participant" status?  Sign away, bubba.

heheheheheh.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I will NOT comply.

Wingnut

« Reply #635 on: August 01, 2017, 11:14:24 pm »
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 11:14:56 pm by Wingnut »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #636 on: August 02, 2017, 12:19:58 pm »

Our dog Baxter is usually in the room. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #637 on: August 06, 2017, 05:43:30 pm »
Win gives red-hot Dodgers best 50-game run since 1912 Giants

The Los Angeles Dodgers got their 43rd win in their past 50 games Saturday against the New York Mets, giving them the best 50-game run by a big league team since the 1912 New York Giants compiled the same mark...

Much good a huge winning season did for 1954 Indians and the 2001 Mariners. I guess we could go back to the 1906 Cubs, but that's ancient history.  :laugh:

Los Angeles has won all but one of its last 13 games, upping the top record in the majors to an astounding 78-32. That puts the Dodgers at 46 games above .500 for the first time since they were 98-51 on Sept. 15, 1962...

Of course, the 1962 Dodgers ended up blowing a 4 game lead with 7 games to go. They tied with Giants who defeated them in a 3 game playoff for the pennant.

Full article

@EasyAce
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 05:46:44 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #638 on: August 06, 2017, 09:03:33 pm »
Of course, the 1962 Dodgers ended up blowing a 4 game lead with 7 games to go. They tied with Giants who defeated them in a 3 game playoff for the pennant.
@EasyAce
The key in the Dodgers' loss of that 1962 pennant: Sandy Koufax. He missed almost two months
with that circulation problem in his left index finger, and when he came back in September he
was completely out of synch. He had three starts in September and lost twice with one no-decision;
neither Don Drysdale (losing two of three in September) nor Johnny Podres (likewise) were enough
to pick up the slack from the still-ailing Koufax. He took the ball to open the three-game playoff and
was probably lucky to surrender only three runs, two on home runs by Willie Mays and Jim
Davenport, but the Dodgers were shut out by Billy Pierce; they won the second game at the last
minute after Drysdale didn't pitch particularly well and three relievers barely held fort; they
lost the third game when the Giants scored four in the ninth off Stan Williams, the fourth
run scoring on an infield error with Ron Perranoski pitching to Jose Pagan and Pierce retired
the Dodgers in order for the save. An uninjured Koufax might have made the difference that
year.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #639 on: August 06, 2017, 09:27:23 pm »
The key in the Dodgers' loss of that 1962 pennant: Sandy Koufax. He missed almost two months
with that circulation problem in his left index finger, and when he came back in September he
was completely out of synch. He had three starts in September and lost twice with one no-decision;
neither Don Drysdale (losing two of three in September) nor Johnny Podres (likewise) were enough
to pick up the slack from the still-ailing Koufax. He took the ball to open the three-game playoff and
was probably lucky to surrender only three runs, two on home runs by Willie Mays and Jim
Davenport, but the Dodgers were shut out by Billy Pierce; they won the second game at the last
minute after Drysdale didn't pitch particularly well and three relievers barely held fort; they
lost the third game when the Giants scored four in the ninth off Stan Williams, the fourth
run scoring on an infield error with Ron Perranoski pitching to Jose Pagan and Pierce retired
the Dodgers in order for the save. An uninjured Koufax might have made the difference that
year.

I absolutely agree about Koufax. In fact, when Alston and Dark met after the game, Dark reputedly said to Alston, "I'm sorry about Koufax. That was the difference."

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #640 on: August 06, 2017, 10:56:03 pm »
I absolutely agree about Koufax. In fact, when Alston and Dark met after the game, Dark reputedly said to Alston, "I'm sorry about Koufax. That was the difference."
There was a secondary factor, and its name was Don Drysdale.

In 1962, on 10 August, when the stretch drive really cranks over, Drysdale was 21-4 with a 2.82 ERA.
The rest of the way he was 4-5, though his ERA held and he finished with a 2.83. Note the kicker: He
lost more down the stretch than he won over the first hundred games of the season, and he also
surrendered a basketful of unearned runs. In fact, if the unearned runs he surrendered were charged
to his record his ERA would have gone over 4.00.

Here's how Drysdale fared against the Giants---the team the Dodgers needed most to beat in 1962---
down the stretch:

11 August---He faced Billy Pierce in Candlestick Park, surrendered five runs in six innings, three of
which came by way of Willie McCovey pinch hitting and hitting a three-run homer. The Dodgers
lost the game.

6 September---He faced Billy O'Dell. He gave up five runs in seven and a third and came out of
the game with a one-run deficit. The Dodgers tied it up to get Drysdale off the hook but they
ended up losing.

The second playoff game---Drysdale against Jack Sanford. He got hit for five runs again
and came out in the sixth. They rallied to win the game to force a third game. But think that
if Drysdale had won the prior two starts against the Giants there may not have been a playoff
in the first place. That might not have augered any better for the World Series, since Koufax
still wouldn't be 100 percent, but the Dodgers might have banked a pennant anyway.

As a matter of fact, Don Drysdale had twelve chances in his career to beat the one team the
Dodgers most needed to beat to stay in the race or nail the pennant and he never
beat them. He was 0-6 with six no-decisions and a 5.33 ERA in those games, and he almost
never pitched well enough to win the games he lost or came away with no-decision.

Against all contenders in seven key pennant races between 1959 and 1966, Drysdale's
record is 6-13 with a 4.17 ERA.

In 1962, Drysdale won the Cy Young Award. Arguably, the award should have gone to
Cincinnati's Bob Purkey, but a) in the years when the award went to one pitcher across the
board (and for a long time after), a pitcher in a pennant race was more likely to win the
award unless someone else did something completely earthshattering (like Steve Carlton
winning 27 games for a dead last team on which he accounted for a full third of their wins);
and, b) Purkey's repertoire included a knuckleball, and in those years there was still a
kind of bias against knuckleballs whether it was the pitcher's number one pitch or part
of his repertoire. With Koufax's injury erasing him from the picture after he was almost
clearly running away with the possible award, Purkey was the best pitcher in baseball in
1962 (he edged out Jack Sanford and Whitey Ford that season overall), but the Reds being
out of the race and Purkey's butterfly pitch worked against him.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #641 on: August 07, 2017, 01:30:20 am »
There was a secondary factor, and its name was Don Drysdale.

In 1962, on 10 August, when the stretch drive really cranks over, Drysdale was 21-4 with a 2.82 ERA.
The rest of the way he was 4-5...

Yes I do remember that.

In 1962, Drysdale won the Cy Young Award. Arguably, the award should have gone to
Cincinnati's Bob Purkey...

The Dodgers first game in Dodger Stadium was on April 10, 1962 against Cincinnati. I played hooky to watch the game. The Dodgers lost 6-3. Podres was their starting pitcher and loser. He threw the first pitch in the new ball park. It was a ball. The Cincinnati starting pitcher and winner was Purkey, with a save by Brosnan.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #642 on: August 07, 2017, 03:32:33 am »
Yes I do remember that.

The Dodgers first game in Dodger Stadium was on April 10, 1962 against Cincinnati. I played hooky to watch the game. The Dodgers lost 6-3. Podres was their starting pitcher and loser. He threw the first pitch in the new ball park. It was a ball. The Cincinnati starting pitcher and winner was Purkey, with a save by Brosnan.
@Machiavelli
I wrote about Bob Purkey a few years ago, when R.A. Dickey looked like a runaway for the National League's
Cy Young Award (which he won), making him the first knuckleballer ever to win the award. This is what I
wrote about Purkey in that piece, which examined how knuckleball pitchers fared in Cy Young Award voting
over the years until Dickey looked like the 2012 winner:

Bob Purkey—The knuckleballers didn’t even show up in the top four or five in Cy voting until 1962, when
Purkey finished third in the vote (Hall of Famer Don Drysdale won the award) after going 23-5 and leading the
National League with an .815 winning percentage. Bear in mind: from 1956 through 1966 (when Sandy Koufax
won his staggering second consecutive and third overall), the Cy Young Award was given to one pitcher across
the board.

Think about that: In 1962, Cy Young Award voters thought Bob Purkey—whose preponderant pitch was a pitch
many still think either a gimmick or an illegitimate pitch—was the third-best pitcher in baseball, and some future
sabermetricians (Bill James among them) would come to argue that Purkey might have been slightly more worthy
of the 1962 Cy than Drysdale actually was. (It kind of makes you wonder, too, what might have been if Wilhelm,
arguably a better pitcher than Purkey, hadn’t been sent back to the bullpen after 1959.)

A lot of the possible factor: Drysdale’s team went to the wire for the pennant, tying the Giants at season’s end—
they lost in a three-game playoff to the Giants—while Purkey’s Reds finished third, six games out, and Cy Young
voters in those years were usually inclined to think about pennant winners in hand with individual performances.
The actual or perceived prejudice against the knuckleball may even have been the reason why, following his 1952-
53 military service, it took Purkey four seasons to establish himself as a useful regular pitcher.

He was a very late bloomer, as it turned out. The Pirates signed him in 1948 (Purkey was a hometown signing),
keeping him in the minors until he was drafted for military service (in the same seasons in which the Army kept
Willie Mays), then used him mostly in relief from 1954-57, before trading him to the Reds after the 1957 season
(for a no-name, Don Gross). In Cincinnati, Purkey became a rotation mainstay and a three-time All-Star, and was
one of the keys to the Reds’ 1961 pennant. He hadn’t made the majors until he was 27 (two years younger than
Wilhelm on arrival), he wasn’t thought of as a regular pitcher until he was 28, and his 1962 would be his career
year and his last good year.

Purkey retired in 1966, after he had a quiet swan song with his first club, the Pirates. (The Reds traded him to
the Cardinals after the 1964 season; he pitched usefully if unspectacularly for the Cardinals until they sold him
to the Pirates coming out of spring training 1966.) He became a television sportscaster for a time in Pittsburgh,
then launched a successful insurance business, before dying of complications from Alzheimer’s disease at 78 in

In case anyone else wonders about other knuckleballers since the Cy Young Award was created:

* Hoyt Wilhelm---Never got a Cy Young Award vote.
* Al Worthington (who developed the butterfly late in his career)---Likewise.
* Phil Niekro---Finished second to Tom Seaver in 1969; finished sixth in 1978-79; finished fifth in 1982.
* Wilbur Wood---Finished third in 1971 (the year the White Sox made a starter out of him); finished second in
1972; finished fifth in 1973 (the year he won 22 and lost 20).
* Joe Niekro---Finished second in 1979; finished fourth in 1980.
* Charlie Hough---Never finished in the top ten Cy Young voting.
* Tom Candiotti---Likewise . . . though he did get to play a Hall of Fame knuckleballer: it was Candiotti
playing Hoyt Wilhelm in Billy Crystal's film about the Maris-Mantle home run chase of 1961, 61*.
* Tim Wakefield---Finished third in 1995, his first year in Boston and the first year he began to use his knuckle-
ball as an out pitch. (He'd formerly used it as a kind of set-up changeup.)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 03:42:02 am by EasyAce »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #644 on: August 09, 2017, 04:21:53 pm »
Is this a great country or what? Quick: Name one other player who's playing for the team to which he can't be traded
according to his contract's no-trade clause . . .

Pablo Sandoval’s no-trade clause prevents him from being traded to … the Giants?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #645 on: August 10, 2017, 02:37:20 am »
Astros have hit a very rough patch lately and Liriano ain't helping!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #646 on: August 12, 2017, 02:42:50 am »
Where o where have the Astrs bats gone?  Where o where can they be?

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #647 on: August 12, 2017, 03:27:51 am »
Where o where have the Astrs bats gone?  Where o where can they be?
They seemed to come alive in the eighth tonight . . .

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #648 on: August 12, 2017, 03:42:46 am »
They seemed to come alive in the eighth tonight . . .

And Altuve, of all people, strikes out with two on in the ninth!   **nononono*

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #649 on: August 12, 2017, 04:25:42 am »
And Altuve, of all people, strikes out with two on in the ninth!   **nononono*
Well, he's only human. ;)