Author Topic: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!  (Read 94638 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!
« Reply #275 on: May 20, 2017, 08:40:09 pm »
How possible is it that NORMAL baseballs were pitched to one team and JUICED baseballs pitched to the home team?
For a time in the mid-to-late 1960s, the White Sox kept baseballs to be used for their home games
in a kind of cooler.

The idea, of course, is that cool, damp baseballs don't travel as far as warm, dry baseballs, and the White Sox
were not exactly sluggers.
---Jim Bouton, in Ball Four.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #276 on: May 20, 2017, 09:36:14 pm »
For a time in the mid-to-late 1960s, the White Sox kept baseballs to be used for their home games
in a kind of cooler.

The idea, of course, is that cool, damp baseballs don't travel as far as warm, dry baseballs, and the White Sox
were not exactly sluggers.
---Jim Bouton, in Ball Four.

Forgot about that.     :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #277 on: May 20, 2017, 10:26:40 pm »
Forgot about that.     :laugh:
Consider us even, buddy! I forgot about the once-infamous Coors Field humidor!

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #278 on: May 20, 2017, 10:48:45 pm »
This just in . . . the Braves dealt for Matt Adams (Cardinals), sending the Cardinals
minor league infielder Juan Yepez.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #279 on: May 21, 2017, 08:50:52 pm »
Couple of really nice catches by McCann against the rangers last night.

http://m.mlb.com/det/video/v1410935683

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #280 on: May 26, 2017, 03:19:45 am »
Freakin no pitch intentional walk.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #281 on: May 26, 2017, 12:25:35 pm »

A horrible rule.  Possibly the worst rule change since the DH rule.  Even worse than the Managers' Challenge.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #282 on: May 26, 2017, 12:29:23 pm »
A horrible rule.  Possibly the worst rule change since the DH rule.  Even worse than the Managers' Challenge.

Soon to be surpassed by the ghost man imaginary runner rule coming up in 2030.  /s
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #283 on: May 26, 2017, 12:42:16 pm »
Soon to be surpassed by the ghost man imaginary runner rule coming up in 2030.  /s

Don't give them any ideas! ^-^
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #284 on: May 26, 2017, 12:54:54 pm »

I don't like the normal intentional walk anyway.

I'd fix the intentional walk by giving the batter 2 bases so the batter could trot past the mound and thank the pitcher personally as the runner at 2nd or 3rd scores.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #285 on: May 26, 2017, 06:16:48 pm »
Orioles hope for more diversified offense vs. Astros

HOUSTON -- There was a clear theme developing from the Baltimore Orioles' clubhouse in the aftermath of their fourth consecutive loss Wednesday, the last three coming at home to the American League Central-leading Minnesota Twins.

The Orioles, power-hitting juggernauts under manager Buck Showalter, have been a bit too reliant on the home run of late. Baltimore (25-20) has ranked no lower than fourth in the AL in home runs under Showalter, averaging 216.8 between 2011-16 while pacing the league in long balls three times during that span.

During their skid, the Orioles have clubbed five home runs -- four coming with the bases empty. Baltimore, third in the majors this season batting .311 with runners in scoring position, is 4-for-20 in that situation over the past four games.

After an off day on Thursday, the Orioles now must contend with the Houston Astros, as the teams open a three-game series Friday at Minute Maid Park.

more at:     http://www.espn.com/mlb/preview?gameId=370526118

_________________________________________________________________________________________
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Gausman , 2-3, 6.65  vs.  Musgrove, 3-4, 5.63

The O's are in a terrible slide (Manny Machado 'slump'), but my $$$ is on Kevin Gausman tonight.

Any takers?   @Bigun ??    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #286 on: May 26, 2017, 06:18:57 pm »
This Just In.....Sam Dyson just gave up another run.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #287 on: May 26, 2017, 08:04:04 pm »

@EasyAce What do you think of this rule?

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #288 on: May 26, 2017, 09:04:36 pm »
@Machiavelli
I don't really object to it. I mean, why waste time throwing four wide lobs when you can just
declare an intentional walk.

As a time-saver, though, I'm not sure it's going to to half as much as would do some things
I've argued for in the past: cutting the damn commercials during pitching changes, having
relief pitchers coming into the middle of innings shenk the eight warmup pitches (for
God's sake, they probably threw two, three, even four innings' worth of pitches getting
ready to come in in the first place!) . . .

I watched the Vegas 51s play the Omaha Storm Chasers two weeks ago and noticed the
pitch clock working. Funny thing---I didn't notice any of the pitchers or the hitters objecting,
and the game was actually a nifty pitching duel with the 51s leading 1-0 off a second-inning
bomb, until the 51s bullpen fell apart in the eighth and the Chasers hung up a five spot.
(The final was 7-3.) I'd love to see the pitch clock in the Show, or at least put the umpires
in charge of enforcing a twenty-second rule between pitches.

I also saw a bona-fide submariner pitching for the 51s at one point. He's a tall righthander
named Ben Rowen. His delivery reminds you a bit of Chad Bradford; he bends almost to
a full right angle as he delivers, and it looks like his pitching hand goes through
the mound as he delivers. He also throws a sinkerball, if you can picture a submariner
throwing something like that---his ball lifts a bit and then drops. The Chasers couldn't
hit this guy with snow shovels. He pitched an inning and a third spotless relief and looked
like he could have gone another inning. Unfortunately, the 51s lifted him, and thus the
eighth inning bullpen meltdown.

This is a shot I squeezed off of Rowen in his follow-through:

« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 09:22:43 pm by EasyAce »

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #289 on: May 26, 2017, 11:23:42 pm »
@Machiavelli

I don't really object to it. I mean, why waste time throwing four wide lobs when you can just

As a time-saver, though, I'm not sure it's going to to half as much as would do some things
I've argued for in the past: cutting the damn commercials during pitching changes, having
relief pitchers coming into the middle of innings shenk the eight warmup pitches (for
God's sake, they probably threw two, three, even four innings' worth of pitches getting
ready to come in in the first place!) . . .

I disagree, because every mound is different..  The home plate backgrounds are different.

The blond MILF flashing you in the corporate box seats are different.

You need to feel comfortable on the pitching rubber.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #290 on: May 27, 2017, 12:11:37 am »
I disagree, because every mound is different..  The home plate backgrounds are different.

The blond MILF flashing you in the corporate box seats are different.

You need to feel comfortable on the pitching rubber.

You have to remember not a lot of bullpens look right onto the field. And I think most ballparks
sculpt the bullpen rubber areas to be matches or near-matches to the field mound rubber,
even if the bullpen mound by necessity isn't as large an area. I once had seats looking into the
bullpens in Angel Stadium and noticed how near-exact the rubbers in both bullpens were to
the field mound.

Aside from which, it's very true that a relief pitcher just might have thrown up to four innings'
worth of pitches getting ready in the bullpen---assuming his manager has brains enough not
to sit him down, then an inning or two later warm him up again. If that happens, the
guy's thrown the equivalent of a quality start before he even got into the game. You might
as well give him the rest of the day or night off because if you bring him in he's maybe less
than half the pitcher he should be when you bring him in.

I learned about things like that reading Whitey Herzog's memoir Your Missin' a Great Game.
He really opened my eyes about relief pitching. He talked about managers who did as I just
described and basically ruined a lot of good bullpen arms that way. Two culprits in particular
that he singled out were Tommy Lasorda and Pete Rose: They'd warm a guy up, sit him down,
warm him up again, sit him down, then get him "ready" fast, bring him in, and wonder why
he had nothing left on the mound and just got himself killed out there.

(A real smart manager pays attention to the other manager's bullpen use. So do real
smart hitters. They see a guy up and throwing, back on the bench, up and throwing again,
back on the bench, they're praying that guy is brought in, because he'll have little
enough left that the hitter can start tabulating the lift in his on base percentage, his batting
average, maybe even the distance he's going to hit that home run off a guy who's gassed
when brought in at last.)

The White Rat wasn't just blowing smoke about it: he'd dealt some relievers to the Dodgers
and the Reds in those years and if they came back to him they'd tell him those guys were
messing their bullpens up that way. And Lasorda and Rose couldn't get it, they'd be asking,
"What's wrong, he ain't pitched in three days!" What did they think those relief pitchers
were doing each time they warmed up? Answering their fan mail?

Herzog had a policy: if he warmed you up but didn't bring you in then or in the next
inning, you had the rest of the game off. He got a lot more miles out of his bullpens than
Lasorda, Rose, and other managers got out of theirs.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #291 on: May 27, 2017, 12:29:30 am »

That surprises me.  You are an expert on the game, I'm just a fan for 15-20 years, but I disagree.

This new rule totally benefits the defense at the expense of the offense.  Opportunities for errors are not a waste of time, they're a part of the game.  That four lazy lobs could be wild pitches or passed balls, or even hit by pitch, and runners could advance.  To just deem it "done" without the exercise of actually throwing the ball short-circuits the game.

In what other play does the pitcher forfeit a base to a runner?  Doesn't feel right to me.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #292 on: May 27, 2017, 12:34:46 am »
That surprises me.  You are an expert on the game, I'm just a fan for 15-20 years, but I disagree.

This new rule totally benefits the defense at the expense of the offense.  Opportunities for errors are not a waste of time, they're a part of the game.  That four lazy lobs could be wild pitches or passed balls, or even hit by pitch, and runners could advance.  To just deem it "done" without the exercise of actually throwing the ball short-circuits the game.

In what other play does the pitcher forfeit a base to a runner?  Doesn't feel right to me.

They've got more good things coming your way soon.  Extra innings start with a runner on second and such as that.

Insist on fixing what ain't broke!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #293 on: May 27, 2017, 02:13:54 am »

I only wish I was an expert and not a jerk of all trades. ;)

I haven't seen any pitchless intentional walk short circuit the game yet.

You ever heard of a balk? ;)

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #294 on: May 27, 2017, 02:30:48 am »
They've got more good things coming your way soon.  Extra innings start with a runner on second and such as that.
It isn't going to happen. Nobody's going to be that absurd.

Insist on fixing what ain't broke!
They're using pitch clocks in the minors and the game hasn't suffered for it.

If they get rid of the damn commercials during pitching changes, the game won't suffer for it.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #295 on: May 27, 2017, 02:34:01 am »
Something else that could help the game---stop looking exclusively at pitchers who can throw lamb chops
past wolves and start looking for the pitchers who pitch with their brains no matter how fast their fastballs
are. Show me the pitcher with a mixture of off-speed and breaking stuff and brains in hand with a decent
fastball, and I'll show you a few Hall of Famers. (Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Warren Spahn, Juan Marichal
---and he sure didn't hurt himself with those fourteen or so different windups he had, either---to name a
few.) Give me the brain pitcher and a) he'll win me a lot of ballgames and b) have a pretty long career
for me.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 02:35:19 am by EasyAce »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #296 on: May 27, 2017, 03:03:13 am »
I haven't seen any pitchless intentional walk short circuit the game yet.
You ever heard of a balk? ;)

No, you're not going to see it short-circuit a game, because you'll never know it would have happened.  Can't make an error on a ball not thrown.  The thing about the balk is good.  You'd need an ump who would actually call one, haven't seen one lately. :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #297 on: May 27, 2017, 03:05:57 am »

The only real benefit is that it shows which batters they're afraid of.

Craziest thing I ever saw, A pitcher intentionally walking Miguel Cabrera with bases loaded and walking a run in so he could pitch to Cecil Fielder which ended up being a big mistake.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #298 on: May 27, 2017, 03:20:02 am »
Ok...I know this is petty but...lol.  Please let the Rangers end the season in last!  I worked with one of the owners of the team...not a nice guy.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #299 on: May 27, 2017, 03:27:49 am »
The only real benefit is that it shows which batters they're afraid of.
Depends on the hitter. You don't have to put the big bopper on intentionally, sometimes you put the
number 7 or 8 hitter on to set up a double play.

Craziest thing I ever saw, A pitcher intentionally walking Miguel Cabrera with bases loaded and walking a run in so he could pitch to Cecil Fielder which ended up being a big mistake.
If he walked Cabrera to pitch to Cecil Fielder it'd have been a huge mistake. :silly:

Crazier: Mets manager Terry Collins putting Mike Trout on to load the bases and (we think) avoid big disaster.
And the next guy up hits a grand slam.

It happens.

Andjuar's law: In baseball there's just one word---you never know.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 03:29:38 am by EasyAce »