Author Topic: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!  (Read 95229 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Re: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2017, 02:08:31 am »
Jered Weaver signs with Padres after 11 years with Angels

Right-hander Jered Weaver has agreed to a $3 million, one-year deal with the San Diego Padres after 11 seasons with the Los Angeles Angels.

Weaver and the Padres confirmed the long-anticipated deal Saturday, pending a physical.
More

Stats

Wikipedia

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2017, 02:25:46 am »
Jered Weaver signs with Padres after 11 years with Angels
More

Stats

Wikipedia

The Padres must be thinking two things: a) veteran leadership as they break in a few younger starters, and
b) maybe Weaver learned a few things from last year and could be a different pitcher this year, one throwing
with his brain more than his arm. He hasn't really been the same pitcher, mostly, since that elbow injury
a few years ago.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2017, 01:58:13 am »
bump

Anyone paying attention to the World Baseball Classic? I would be, but they're carrying EVERY SINGLE GAME on MLB Network, which I don't have on my cable lineups.

Geez louise, if they want to make this a credible tournament, they can't bury these things on specialty-tier networks.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2017, 02:13:23 am »
bump

Anyone paying attention to the World Baseball Classic? I would be, but they're carrying EVERY SINGLE GAME on MLB Network, which I don't have on my cable lineups.

Geez louise, if they want to make this a credible tournament, they can't bury these things on specialty-tier networks.

Thing is just a distraction to ST, as far as I am concerned.  Please April.....   get here.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2017, 09:16:40 pm »
bump

Looks like they've been earning credibility just by playing the games. But you're right, I'd like to see the next WBC
somewhere like ESPN. Especially since Mike Trout has now said he'd like to play in the next WBC. (He'd rejected
previous invitations over their being spring distractions, but he's been watching this year's rounds and getting a
change of heart over it. Now imagine baseball's best player suiting up for the U.S. of A. in the next round!)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2017, 04:27:28 pm »
Houston Mitchell, who covers the Dodgers for the LA Times, is evaluating the NL West teams position by position. Here are his first two installments:

Dodgers Dugout: Ranking the NL West catchers

Dodgers Dugout: The best first baseman in the NL West is....

Offline Polly Ticks

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2017, 10:19:12 pm »
Bryce Harper overrated? That's a clown question, bro!

If spring training is any indication, Bryce Harper is back.
More

Stats

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2017, 11:00:04 pm »
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2017, 01:03:47 pm »
Madison Bumgarner became the first pitcher to homer twice in a season opener

Until Madison Bumgarner came along, it had been quite awhile since baseball had such a talented two-way player. Prior to the start of the 2017 campaign, at age 27, he had already belted 14 career homers in 228 games.

In the Giants' season opener, Bumgarner added to the tally. First, he took D-backs starter Zack Greinke deep to put the Giants in front in the top of the fifth by a score of 2-0. He also did so before allowing a single Arizona baserunner -- the D-backs did not get their first man on base until Jeff Mathis tripled with one out in the sixth inning.

Then in his very next at-bat, Bumgarner promptly did it again, crushing another homer, this time off reliever Andrew Chafin. He had allowed a few runs to help the D-backs tie the game at 3, so it was his second go-ahead shot of the day. Bumgarner made baseball history, becoming the first pitcher to homer twice in an MLB opener.

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2017/04/02/221960806/madison-bumgarner-opening-day-homers-record

Hello, baseball!  Oh, how I have missed you!

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2017, 05:33:23 pm »
In the NATS 1st inning of the season, Miami pitcher E. Volguez gives up a lead-off, frozen rope double to the top of the LF wall, a walk and then gives up a DOUBLE STEAL.

....but strikes out the 3,4,5 hitters.   (Harper, Murphy, Zimmerman)
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2017, 05:41:22 pm »
Tonight, Astros, 7:05.

Go Astros!

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2017, 06:19:58 pm »

Madison Bumgarner became the first pitcher to homer twice in a season opener

Which is just another reason I despise the DH, the and the AL.   I hope Bed Selig BURNS IN HELL for sending my Astros to the AL.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 06:20:19 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2017, 08:27:20 pm »
My Mets jumped the Braves for six in the bottom of the seventh . . . still 6-0 Mets in the top of the ninth . . .
game over on an inning-and-game-ending double play, 6-0 your final, the Mets win it
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 08:28:43 pm by EasyAce »

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2017, 08:29:18 pm »
My Mets jumped the Braves for six in the bottom of the seventh . . . still 6-0 Mets in the top of the ninth . . .

@EasyAce
I noticed.
 :chairbang:

Thor had a good outing. 

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2017, 09:12:48 pm »
@EasyAce
I noticed.
 :chairbang:

Thor had a good outing.

He did until he developed a blister. They took no chances and got him out of there. The bullpen
held up very well and Robert Gsellman---usually a starter---took care of two quick hits in the
top of the ninth by starting the game-ending double play.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2017, 09:20:27 pm »
Unfortunately, I had to glance at it occasionally on MLB.TV with the volume muted (for some reason, my boss actually expects me to work for my paycheck), but the parts I saw looked pretty good. 

Hopefully we'll get our revenge on Wednesday night.  Either way, though, I'm just so happy baseball is back!
 :beer:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2017, 10:24:43 pm »
Unfortunately, I had to glance at it occasionally on MLB.TV with the volume muted (for some reason, my boss actually expects me to work for my paycheck), but the parts I saw looked pretty good. 

Hopefully we'll get our revenge on Wednesday night.  Either way, though, I'm just so happy baseball is back!

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2017, 11:35:12 pm »
Bryce Harper hits his 5TH Opening Day HR, as the NATS beat the MARLINS, 4-2.    :patriot:

Adam Lind hit a go-ahead (3-2)pinch-hit 2 run blast to Center Field in the winning effort.   

......OH

And my ORIOLES win 3-2 over the BLUE JAYS in eleven innings at home.     :patriot:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2017, 03:01:57 am »
Tonight, Astros, 7:05.

Go Astros!

Keuchel 2 hits in 7 IP.  If he pitches like 2015.  LOOK OUT!!!!!...we may go deep in the playoffs.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2017, 05:28:44 pm »
Keuchel 2 hits in 7 IP.  If he pitches like 2015.  LOOK OUT!!!!!...we may go deep in the playoffs.

Pretty strong line up 1-9 too.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2017, 05:41:40 pm »
Fightin' Phillies start strong out of the box with a 4 - 3 win over the Reds.   Homers by both sides of their keystone combination - Cesar Hernandez and Freddy Galvis.   The announcers volunteered the factoid that that's the first time the keystone combo both hit taters in the opening game since Utley and Rollins.    What I'd be curious to find out is when was the last time an opening day game featured homers by both the leadoff batter (Hernandez) and the eight-hole hitter (Galvis)?   I bet you have to go back farther than Utley and Rollins for that!
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2017, 06:14:15 pm »
I'm not sure if it was mentioned anywhere so pardon me if I am repeating it, that baseball great Pedro Guerrero suffered a massive stroke, he has woken up from his coma and spoken to family and friends.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19084159/former-los-angeles-dodgers-star-pedro-guerrero-wakes-coma

"The former player woke up from the coma around 7 a.m. Wednesday, spoke with his relatives and even received a couple of calls from friends, including one from former Dominican Republic president Leonel Fernandez."

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2017, 06:25:37 pm »
I'm not sure if it was mentioned anywhere so pardon me if I am repeating it, that baseball great Pedro Guerrero suffered a massive stroke, he has woken up from his coma and spoken to family and friends.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19084159/former-los-angeles-dodgers-star-pedro-guerrero-wakes-coma

Out of the coma? That's excellent news!