Author Topic: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!  (Read 95180 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!
« on: January 29, 2017, 12:45:46 am »
Seems appropriate to begin with this: Turns out Mary Tyler Moore had one hell of a great eephus pitch!
(She was also a lefthander.) Watch her hit the corner with this one, before a 2002 Twins game . . .

Watch a smiling Mary Tyler Moore throw a very cheery first pitch for the Twins in 2002

I bet she could have snuck that one past Ted Williams . . . !

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Polly Ticks

Re: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 01:01:32 am »
That's awesome!
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 11:42:22 am »
Seems appropriate to begin with this: Turns out Mary Tyler Moore had one hell of a great eephus pitch!
(She was also a lefthander.) Watch her hit the corner with this one, before a 2002 Twins game . . .

Watch a smiling Mary Tyler Moore throw a very cheery first pitch for the Twins in 2002

I bet she could have snuck that one past Ted Williams . . . !

888high58888

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 12:42:53 am »

It Took 70 years.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 12:50:37 am »
And that happened five years ago!

He hasn't played in the American major leagues since 2011.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 12:52:02 am »
Go Cubbies..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 01:30:33 am »
Well, spring training IS only 3½ weeks away…
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 03:37:36 am »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 02:07:52 am »
Cleveland Indians to at least the AL finals, they must be hungry and came very close and have generally been consistent in recent years.

I'd have to say the SF Giants are a good bet to come back as well, NLCS.

------------

Not really my teams though I do like underdog types.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 02:09:08 am »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 03:19:42 am »
Cleveland Indians to at least the AL finals, they must be hungry and came very close and have generally been consistent in recent years.
I expect to see them in the races and maybe taking over the AL Central again, considering a) the Royals
may not be as suited for one more run at it before a rebuild as some people seem to think; and, b) the Tigers'
hopes for one more run aren't as they'd like to think they are, thanks to:

* Age.
* Not as much depth as you think.
* The farm system is parched, thanks to now-Red Sox GM Dave Dombrowski's emptying it
out on behalf of a run a couple of years ago.
* Finances hamstrung for the time being.

I'd have to say the SF Giants are a good bet to come back as well, NLCS.
All they need is for the bullpen to blow a few less saves this year. Madison (Don't Look at Me!)
Bumgarner can't be his own closer every time out.

------------

Not really my teams though I do like underdog types.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 03:20:14 am by EasyAce »

Wingnut

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 02:33:24 pm »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 05:01:05 pm »
It was funny the first time.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 07:18:53 pm »
For nothing more heinous than inadvertently bumping into another kid at school, this
eight-year-old got his brains beaten out.

He also found a supporter in a Cubs star:

Cubs’ Anthony Rizzo tweets support to 7th-grader badly beaten at South Elgin school

. . . and, offered the kid two tickets and batting practise passes as soon as he's well.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 03:34:30 am »
MLB to test radical extra-inning rule change in Minors, WBC

Michael Dixon
MSN
February 8, 2017

Lower levels of professional baseball, as well as the upcoming World Baseball Classic, will have a radical rule change. When games reach extra innings, teams will begin their at-bats with a man already on second base. If it works well, the rule could eventually work its way to MLB.
More

@EasyAce ?

Offline Idiot

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2017, 03:38:07 am »

Michael Dixon
MSN
February 8, 2017
More

@EasyAce ?
No way that will make it to the majors.  Stupidest idea I've heard of......

Wingnut

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2017, 03:44:52 am »
It was funny the first time.

I'm slow.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2017, 07:45:11 am »

Michael Dixon
MSN
February 8, 2017
More

@EasyAce ?

Foolish idea. I like the idea of just signaling an intentional pass and handing the hitter his base without
the pitcher having to throw four wide ones for show. That'll cut a minute at minimum off the time of a
game, but it's better than the foolishness of starting each extra inning with a man on second.

But then baseball government isn't yet looking at a major cause of elongated games: the commercial spots.
There doesn't need to be a commercial for every call to the bullpen in a game, to name just one culprit.

Though speaking of the bullpen, I have one idea that would speed up the games and, while we're at it,
save pitching arms and shoulders: unless a pitcher is coming in to relieve a pitcher who's been injured during
the game, eliminate the eight-warmups tradition before facing his first batter.

It'll hurt the incoming pitcher not. one. bit.

Not even if he was warmed up in a hurry before he came into the game.

Are you nutzo?!?

No---because other than a few loosen-up tosses, he's been throwing pitches in that bullpen.
Sometimes, oftentimes, you have a guy who was warming up from the beginning of an inning before he
was brought in. He's probably thrown equal to two or even three innings' worth of pitches before
you brought him in. He was ready before you gave the signal to bring him in.

Now---if you warmed up a pitcher but didn't bring him in that inning, take a leaf out of Whitey Herzog's
book: if he warmed you up but didn't bring you in that inning or the next, you had the rest of the night
off. (The White Rat followed that rule especially with his long men; if his starter got into early trouble and
he got his long man up, one of two things would happen: the long man would come in; or, if the starter
found his way out of the jam and the long man didn't come in, that long man had the rest of the game
off until or unless it went to extras.)

Herzog would never warm up a pitcher, sit him down, warm him up again later in the game and then
bring him in . . . because he's probably already gassed. Bring him in after two separated warmup spells
and he's likely to either walk the bases loaded or walk a run in, or get himself clobbered out there.
He'll have little to nothing left. And don't think the hitters aren't watching the other guys' bullpen
and following who's been warmed up how often. If the other guys warmed up Reliever A twice already
and then brought him into the game, those hitters are probably figuring out their new RBI totals,
the bump in their on-base percentages from the walks they're going to work out, or the distance their
home runs are going to travel when that gassed pitcher serves them up a meatball on a plate.

I learned that reading Herzog's You're Missin' a Great Game. Two managers who never got
the hint: Tommy Lasorda and Pete Rose. Both those managers had some terrific relief pitchers, and
most of them ended up burning out before their time in due course.

Here's the White Rat himself:

[T]he man won 1,600-some ballgames and two World Series and that's no accident, but the fly in
his ointment---and it baffled me, because Tommy was a pitcher himself---was that he never figured
out how to handle a bullpen. He'd take a reliever and warm him up four or five times during a game
and not use him; then he'd do the same thing the next day. The day after
that, he'd put the
guy in a game. He'd have nothing out there, and Tommy'd say, "Hell, you ain't pitched in two days,
what's the matter with you?" Some managers think if a guy's not actually in a game, he's not
pitching. But if he's tossing on the sidelines, man, he's getting hot. Over the years I dealt some of
my pitchers to L.A.---[John] Tudor, [Todd] Worrell, Ricky Horton, Ken Dayley---and they always came
back with the same report: Tommy was still messing up the pen . . .

Pete Rose was like Tommy. Wonderful baseball man but he was impaired when it came to handling
pitchers. Here he had three world class relievers, Norm Charlton, Rob Murphy, and Rob Dibble,
all in the same pen. Two were lefties. Dibble, the righty, threw 100 miles an hour. With those three
guys on your side you shouldn't lose games after the sixth. But Pete found a way.

He'd get Murphy up in the third; he'd warm him up in the fourth. Then he'd sit him down. He'd
get Charlton up in the fifth. Sometimes I'd look down there, and he'd have both lefthanders going
at the same time. Why would you warm 'em both up at once? You're only going to use one lefty
or another! Then, after he'd worked 'em out three or four times, Pete would put one in the game
and be surprised he had no zip. "He can't be tired," he'd say. "He ain't pitched in three days!"
Somebody counted how many timed he warmed Murphy up one year and it was over 200. I like
Pete, boy---but I
loved managing against him.

So eliminate the eight warmups out on the mound unless the reliever was brought in to spell
a pitcher who was injured and had to come out. If you use, say, three relievers in the game,
eliminating those warmups knowing your guys were plenty warm and ready when you brought
them in would shave about ten to twelve minutes off a game's time just by itself. And it would
probably put a few extra innings into their careers, too.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 07:47:19 am by EasyAce »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2017, 02:36:23 am »
Tommy Lasorda

@EasyAce

Paraphrased, of course: "I'm telling you, that guy is too small to be a starting pitcher. He's a relief pitcher. What we really need is a good second baseman."

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2017, 03:08:04 am »
@EasyAce

Paraphrased, of course: "I'm telling you, that guy is too small to be a starting pitcher. He's a relief pitcher. What we really need is a good second baseman."

Tommy Lasorda wasn't quite as smart as he was cracked up to be. How would he have explained the success of
such half-pints on the mound as Hal Newhouser, Bobby Shantz, or even Whitey Ford (who was considered "short"
at 5'10") and Billy Pierce (same height as Ford)? Or Tim Lincecum, before his hip issues? Or Mike Boddicker,
whose career was compromised not because of his height but because of his curve ball? (He threw way too
many of them and he wasn't strong enough to handle the torque, but that wasn't a matter of his height.) Pedro
Martinez was a mere 5'11" and could hide behind a telephone pole, and he pitched his way to Cooperstown,
same as Whitey Ford and Hal Newhouser. And Bartolo (Tortilla Fats) Colon has been a late-life pitching star
despite being 5'11" himself. (Some think his 5'11" goes in both directions, but we won't go there . . . )

Of course, you have to remember that Tommy Lasorda took one look at the kid whom the Brooklyn Dodgers
preferred to keep when cutting him back to the minors. "He'll never amount to anything," Lasorda snorted.
The kid was Sandy Koufax. And Lasorda's been dining out on that story ever since.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 03:08:26 am by EasyAce »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2017, 12:49:40 pm »
  :facepalm2:

This is a silly idea. I don't think even a beer league would consider this kind of chicanery.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2017, 03:00:38 am »
First weird baseball injury of 2017---a Royals pitcher goes through the roof, literally, the poor guy.

A Royals pitcher fell through his barn

Speedy recovery, Brian Flynn . . . but knowing ballplayer humour, there's going to be a top ten hits list
tacked to his locker when he makes it back, including but probably not limited to . . .

Up on the Roof (The Drifters)
Up the Ladder to the Roof (The Supremes)
Fiddler on the Roof (Zero Mostel)
The Roof is On Fire (Rock Master Scott and the Dynamic Three)
Rain on the Roof (The Lovin' Spoonful)
Cool Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (Woody Herman)
Tear the Roof Off (Parliament)
Rooftop Garden (Legendary Hearts)
Raise the Roof (Carbon Leaf)
Tootin' Through the Roof (Duke Ellington)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2017, 03:38:31 am »
Trey Turner, Washington Nationals moving to shortstop.  He's the next phenom in The Show. 

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/turnetr01.shtml

Look at his numbers in just 73 games last year!

He's going to rewrite the book on total bases TB.

Fantasy freaks should grab this kid.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 03:39:32 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2017, 06:31:28 am »
Trey Turner, Washington Nationals moving to shortstop.  He's the next phenom in The Show. 

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/turnetr01.shtml

Look at his numbers in just 73 games last year!

He's going to rewrite the book on total bases TB.

Fantasy freaks should grab this kid.

I don't know if he'll "rewrite" the total bases book, but Turner does have a knack for extorting his way on base. He makes me
think of a prime Tim Raines, an early-in-the-order guy with a little power who can reach base, knows what he's doing when he gets
on base, use up fewer outs than most similar players to get there, and has brains to go with his speed. He hits all over the field with
remarkable zone discipline for such a young player, and it wouldn't shock me to see him draw between 80-100 walks a season. This
should be at least an All-Star in the making. He was worth 3.5 wins above replacement in just 73 games last year; I could see him
as a 5.0-5.5 WAR guy and maybe a little more as he matures. He also impressed me in last fall's division series against the
Dodgers---he scored five runs, had seven hits, and if someone wants to bitch about him striking out eleven times, just ask if they'd
rather have seen him hit into eleven double playes. (He didn't hit into one in the set.) His inexperience showed with his .333 on-
base percentage, which isn't terrible but not what he projects normally. This could be the season he shows himself the Nats'
shortstop of the future---just so long as no brain-damaged coach monkeys around with either that strike zone discipline, that
swing of his, and his knack for staying lower than the usual shortstop to pick or reach for grounders.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2017, 03:44:30 am »
Saw where the Cardinals have lost Reyes for at least a year to TJ surgery.  Wow.  It will be weird seeing an STL team possibly in last this season.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.