Author Topic: The Sounds of Silence  (Read 1028 times)

rangerrebew

The Sounds of Silence
« on: January 28, 2017, 09:24:38 pm »
The Sounds of Silence

facebook
    twitter
    linkedin
    pinterest
    print

By Gordon Berg
12/14/2016 • America's Civil War Magazine

Acoustic shadows bedeviled commanders on both sides during the war.

“I received with astonishment the intelligence of the severe fighting that commenced at 2 o’clock. Not a musket shot had been heard nor did the sound of artillery indicate anything like a battle.” So said Union Maj. Gen. Don Carlos Buell when he appeared before a military commission investigating his conduct during the October 8, 1862, Battle of Perryville. Buell had to admit sheepishly that for hours during the battle he had been deaf to the fighting, the victim of an atmospheric anomaly known as an “acoustic shadow.” He was not alone. During the war, several engagements would be influenced by the inability of critical military personnel to hear the sounds of battle involving their troops.

In his defense, Buell contended that his inability to hear the sound of battle “was probably caused by the configuration of the ground which broke the sound, and by the heavy wind, which it appears blew from the right to the left during the day.” This explanation, unbeknownst to him, was scientifically correct. According to Charles Ross, a physics professor at Longwood College in Virginia and the recognized expert on Civil War acoustic shadows, the zone of silence that hung over the Perryville area “was temperature-induced refraction, combined with the effects of terrain.” The weather had been hot for weeks, and heated air near the ground pushed the sounds of battle upward. That, combined with the rugged terrain surrounding the battlefield, buffered the sound waves that might have otherwise alerted Buell to the battle taking place less than three miles from his Dorsey Farm headquarters. Also, the wind direction kept the smoke and sounds of the fighting from wafting over the grove where he was enjoying a leisurely afternoon lunch.

http://www.historynet.com/the-sounds-of-silence.htm
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 09:25:48 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline endicom

Re: The Sounds of Silence
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 09:58:00 pm »
Interesting. It's funny how learning one little thing can change perception of a battle or a war.

Offline ConservativeGranny

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 12:36:01 am »
Fascinating. I never heard of this before.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 05:13:24 am »
Fascinating. I never heard of this before.
Most kids from two to five live in a form of acoustic shadow. Only words like "cookies", "candy" and "ice cream" seem to get through...

More seriously, terrain definitely affects sound travel, as does weather. "Hollering" was done down a hollow (a valley) for a reason. The valley walls tended to amplify the sound and help it carry, even without echoes. I have also been in one spot in West Virginia where a stream cut through a fold in the rock, making a parabolic reflector. Walking on the other side of the stream, a person in front of someone talking could sound like they were behind them, and vice-versa.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 05:17:07 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis