Author Topic: Civil War Trust President Jim Lighthizer at the Lee’s Headquarters Ribbon Cutting Ceremony Oct. 28, 2016. 5 Questions: A Timely Save  (Read 862 times)

rangerrebew

Civil War Trust President Jim Lighthizer at the Lee’s Headquarters Ribbon Cutting Ceremony Oct. 28, 2016.
Civil War Trust President Jim Lighthizer at the Lee’s Headquarters Ribbon Cutting Ceremony Oct. 28, 2016.
5 Questions: A Timely Save

By Sarah Richardson
12/30/2016 • America's Civil War Magazine

Civil War Trust President Jim Lighthizer, On the Rescue of a Storied Gettysburg landmark.

The restored Lee’s Headquarters, opened to the public last fall. (Melissa A. Winn)

Beside a busy highway on the outskirts of Gettysburg, Pa., stands a small stone house, known for where General Robert E. Lee directed his troops during the Battle of Gettysburg. Long obscured by commercial development, Lee’s headquarters during the historic battle has finally been restored to the condition of that period. Over the past two years, Civil War Trust President Jim Lighthizer oversaw a $6 million-plus campaign to restore the house and surrounding topography. That involved the removal of 10 buildings—including a motel, pool, brew pub, and souvenir shops—that had sprung up on the simple homestead where the widow Mary Thompson lived peacefully before the Army of Northern Virginia’s arrival in the summer of 1863.

What was the site like on July 1, 1863?

http://www.historynet.com/5-questions-a-timely-save.htm
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 09:23:02 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline ConservativeGranny

I have been to Gettysburg twice. I think there was maybe 20 years between my visits and I was surprised at how commercialized it had become. Souvenir shops indeed:(

It's such a beautiful area I'm glad they were able to accomplish this.