Author Topic: A New Space Race Kicks Off Between the US and China Thanks to EmDrive  (Read 1664 times)

Offline kevindavis007

The EmDrive is a controversial space propulsion engine technology that is supposed to be able to function without any form of rocket fuel and get astronomers into space much quicker than anything ever has before. But, for obvious reasons, it has received much criticism and scepticism along the way. However, China has just announced that they’re busy carrying out tests using the EmDrive, so it appears not everyone is against the idea.

After funding researchers for five years, testing is finally being carried out aboard China’s Tiangong-2 space station. The way in which the spacecraft works is by releasing microwaves into a cone-shaped engine that allows it to thrust forwards like a propulsion system. The man responsible for the acceleration of the EmDrive technology is Roger Shawyer, when in 1999 he claimed that the EmDrive technology would allow astronomers to reach Mars in just 70 days, opposed to the three or fours months it would normally take.

Read More: http://www.isn-news.net/2017/01/a-new-space-race-kicks-off-between-us.html
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Re: A New Space Race Kicks Off Between the US and China Thanks to EmDrive
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 01:09:26 pm »
Looked at from the outside, the EmDrive appears to be the "cold fusion" of space propulsion technology.  I've posted links to criticisms of the experimental procedures used by the advocates before.  Until someone not a proponent can replicate the results verifiably, the EmDrive will be about the equivalent of the Dean Drive.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 01:36:20 pm »
Looked at from the outside, the EmDrive appears to be the "cold fusion" of space propulsion technology.  I've posted links to criticisms of the experimental procedures used by the advocates before.  Until someone not a proponent can replicate the results verifiably, the EmDrive will be about the equivalent of the Dean Drive.

Yup.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 02:07:27 pm »

The Dean Drive....That's one that has been relegated to the memory hole. Have not heard about it since the late 1970's when Jerry Pournelle published the results of some experiments he witnessed.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 04:44:53 pm »

@Doug Loss

You mean like NASA...?

http://www.sciencealert.com/it-s-official-nasa-s-peer-reviewed-em-drive-paper-has-finally-been-published
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 04:45:10 pm by bolobaby »
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 05:46:15 pm »
@Doug Loss

You mean like NASA...?

http://www.sciencealert.com/it-s-official-nasa-s-peer-reviewed-em-drive-paper-has-finally-been-published

I'll look over the NASA paper, but just because they publish a paper doesn't automatically mean it's "settled science."  Of which there is no such thing, of course...

OK, I looked over the NASA paper.  It's from November; serious questions about the experimental procedures used have been raised since then.  So no, the NASA paper means nothing special.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 05:50:19 pm by Doug Loss »
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!