Author Topic: Hundreds honor the three Apollo 1 astronauts who were killed when their spacecraft caught fire on the launchpad 50 years ago  (Read 1828 times)

Offline Suppressed

Hundreds honor the three Apollo 1 astronauts who were killed when their spacecraft caught fire on the launchpad 50 years ago
By Associated Press

PUBLISHED: 15:14 EST, 26 January 2017 | UPDATED: 18:58 EST, 26 January 2017
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4161298/Hundreds-honor-3-astronauts-lost-Apollo-fire-50-years-ago.html

A remembrance event was held for the three astronauts killed on Apollo 1. Their relatives Sheryl Chaffee, Lowell Grissom and Bonnie Baer are pictured at Thursday's service

Three astronauts on board Apollo 1 were killed when they got trapped in a blaze, from left, Edward H. White II, Virgil I. 'Gus' Grissom, and Roger B. Chaffee

Part of the Apollo 1 exhibit at the Kennedy Space Center. A fire during a test on the launch pad killed three astronauts at the start of the Apollo moon program

Moonwalkers and dozens of others who took part in NASA's storied Apollo program paid tribute Thursday to the three astronauts killed in a fire 50 years ago.

On the eve of the Apollo 1 anniversary, hundreds gathered at Kennedy Space Center to honor Gus Grissom, Ed White and Roger Chaffee.

They died during a countdown rehearsal at the launch pad inside their burning spacecraft on January 1967

On Friday, NASA is opening an Apollo 1 exhibit featuring the hatch that prevented the three astronauts from escaping. 

It has been concealed for the past half-century along with the capsule.

The families of Grissom, White and Chaffee got an early look Wednesday evening at the display at the visitor complex, and liked what they saw.

'Really awesome,' said daughter Sheryl Chaffee, who just retired from NASA. 'It's very fitting. We all feel like it's about time.'

Excerpt.  Read more (and more photos) at http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4161298/Hundreds-honor-3-astronauts-lost-Apollo-fire-50-years-ago.html
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

Good photos in the story.

I will never forget these men.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Wingnut

In the Documentary "Last Man On the Moon" Gene Cernan spoke about that day. He was in the com room when the spark ignited the O2 rich pressurized  capsule and hearing the screams..... as they burned alive.   

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Bless these men. I remember my mother holding me when we watched the evening news that night- I was young. Mom cried. I remember that.

Wow. 2,000 Posts. I'm glad it was this one that was the one to do it.  :patriot:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 12:17:10 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline kevindavis007

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Joe Wooten

I remember seeing something on HBO about the Apollo program that Fritz Mondale wanted to stop it.. Not sure how true it is..

Space Ping!

@Oceander
@Sanguine
@Cripplecreek
@Freya
@EC
@Joe Wooten
@r9etb
@Just_Victor
@montanajoe
@Ghost Bear
@Free Vulcan
@Idaho_Cowboy
@geronl
@Scutter   
@Elderberry
@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer
@Unlimited

It is true. I remember Mondale getting on the Senate floor demanding Apollo be cancelled and the money spent on welfare.

Offline kevindavis007

It is true. I remember Mondale getting on the Senate floor demanding Apollo be cancelled and the money spent on welfare.

Wow....
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

‘We have a fire in the cockpit!’ The Apollo 1 disaster 50 years later.
By Sarah Larimer January 26 at 5:49 PM

Sheryl Chaffee remembers the January evening when astronaut Mike Collins came to the door and asked to speak with her mother.

The two talked in a bedroom of the Chaffee home. Then Collins emerged and Chaffee and her brother were sent in to speak with their mother.

“So we went back there, and she told us that our dad was never coming home again,” said Chaffee, who was 8 years old. “Of course, I really didn't understand that. I think I even asked her, 'what, are you getting divorced?'”

more
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2017/01/26/50-years-ago-three-astronauts-died-in-the-apollo-1-fire/?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_apollo-835pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.b16f6aeccf42
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Its amazing that the fire didn't kill the entire space program.

Wingnut

Its amazing that the fire didn't kill the entire space program.

They didn't have snowflakes in it, or running it at the time.  That and the whole National Pride thing was strong then, not  eroded away  like today by 50 years of liberalism.  Back then, men were men and women were women. They dealt with it like adults did.  No safe spaces, quite rooms with stuffed animals and Lego's, or grief councilors. 

Just my theory!  :)