Author Topic: An Asteroid Possibly Worth $10,000 Quadrillion Is NASA's New Mission  (Read 3446 times)

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: An Asteroid Possibly Worth $10,000 Quadrillion Is NASA's New Mission
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2017, 04:38:04 pm »

It's a solid chunk of nickel iron over 100 miles long. That's a fleet of starship hulls, already in orbit.

Who needs a fleet?

Let's just build one of these!:

Or, if we must have a fleet:

Trump likes things YUUUUUUUUUUUGE so why not?
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2017, 04:45:18 pm »
One other thing, for Nickel specifically as an example, price is due to scarcity. How quickly will the increased supply crash the value to make it an almost worthless metal and not worth mining.

I do like the suggestion that it is more valuable in space. Don't mine it, use it as a space infrastructure. Send robots to engineer it in space.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2017, 04:47:49 pm »
Who needs a fleet?

Trump likes things YUUUUUUUUUUUGE so why not?

In space you want huge. The only reason we send people up 3 to 5 at a time is the cost and inefficiency of rockets.

A ship with a crew of hundreds or even as few as dozens doesn't require them to be nearly as cross specialized.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2017, 06:35:46 am »
I worked on Wall Street and I cannot grasp a quadrillion dollars.
No biggie. Zimbwabe made that easy enough. I have ten 100 trillion dollar bills (Zim). That's a Quadrillion, in the US. In Britain, the one would have to be followed by 24 zeroes, instead of the fifteen zeroes in the US quadrillion.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2017, 06:57:13 am »
There was a time when American mouths would water at the prospect of opening a new frontier and becoming fabulously wealthy in the process.

Human expansion always creates wealth and mining and using this asteroid in space could be our human big bang of ever accelerating expansion.
If we used the material there that could really boost spacefaring with cheaper materials and the development of ways to mine and utilize them.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis