Author Topic: First human-pig embryos may carve path for transplants  (Read 625 times)

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
First human-pig embryos may carve path for transplants
« on: January 26, 2017, 07:58:40 pm »
Scientists have grown human cells inside pig embryos, a very early step toward the goal of growing livers and other human organs in animals to transplant into people.

The cells made up just a tiny part of each embryo, and the embryos were grown for only a few weeks, researchers reported Thursday.

Such human-animal research has raised ethical concerns. The U.S. government suspended taxpayer funding of experiments in 2015. The new work, done in California and Spain, was paid for by private foundations.

Any growing of human organs in pigs is “far away,” said Juan Carlos Izpisua Belmonte of the Salk Institute in La Jolla, Calif., an author of the paper in the journal Cell.

[excerpted]

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2017/01/26/first-human-pig-embryos-may-carve-path-transplants/97094752/
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

geronl

Re: First human-pig embryos may carve path for transplants
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 08:00:39 pm »
*This article has nothing to do with Michael Moore

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 08:05:15 pm »
Not sure if I like the potential for mixing two completely separate disease pools.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 03:19:31 pm »
Not sure if I like the potential for mixing two completely separate disease pools.  :shrug:

Can you imagine the horror if people came down with Swine Flu????
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley