Author Topic: First paralyzed human treated with stem cells has now regained his upper body movement [Embryonic]  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Suppressed

First paralyzed human treated with stem cells has now regained his upper body movement
http://theheartysoul.com/stem-cells-cure-paralysis/

Imagine losing control of your car and waking up in the hospital paralyzed from the neck down. This is the story of Kristopher Boesen, who experienced a life-changing moment where his car spiraled out of control on a slippy road surface, slamming into a tree and lamp post. Doctors warned Kris’s parents that he might never be able to function from the neck down again.

The Procedure

Kris was offered the opportunity to go through a potentially life-changing procedure involving stem cells, which ‘have the capability to repair injured nervous tissue through replacement of damaged cells‘ (1). The experimental procedure did not guarantee any restoration to Kris’s paralysis, but to him, the risk was worth taking.

The process began in April where Dr. Liu injected 10 million AST-OPC1 cells directly into Kris’ cervical spinal cord. (AST-OPC1 cells come from donated eggs that are fertilized in vitro (ie. in a petri dish). For more information on where stem cells come from, check out this resource.)  Dr. Liu explains that; “Typically, spinal cord injury patients undergo surgery that stabilizes the spine but does very little to restore motor or sensory function. With this study, we are testing procedure that may improve neurological function, which could mean the difference between being permanently paralyzed and being able to use one’s arms and hands. Restoring that level of function could significantly improve the daily lives of patients with severe spinal injuries.” (2)

The Results

After a mere 3 weeks of therapy, Kris started showing signs of improvement, and within 2 months he could answer the phone, write his name and operate a wheelchair.  . . .

Excerpt.  Read more at http://theheartysoul.com/stem-cells-cure-paralysis/
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

I post this to inform regarding the state of the technology of using embryonic stem cells.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I post this to inform regarding the state of the technology of using embryonic stem cells.
@Suppressed
Do we know they are embryonic? I'm missing it in the article.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 05:24:53 pm by TomSea »

Online mountaineer

... The stem cell procedure Boesen received is part of a Phase 1/2a clinical trial that is evaluating the safety and efficacy of escalating doses of AST-OPC1 cells developed by Fremont, Calif.-based Asterias Biotherapeutics. AST-OPC1 cells are made from embryonic stem cells by carefully converting them into oligodendrocyte progenitor cells (OPCs), which are cells found in the brain and spinal cord that support the healthy functioning of nerve cells.  ...
University of Southern California
Doesn't say anything specifically about discarded fertilized eggs, though. Still looking.

Edit to add:  Ah yes, on rereading the article, I see the petri dish reference.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 05:35:53 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Suppressed
Do we know they are embryonic? I'm missing it in the article.

Yes: "(AST-OPC1 cells come from donated eggs that are fertilized in vitro (ie. in a petri dish)."

Offline Suppressed

And if I understand it correctly, these are "fresh" ones, not like a lot of the research, which uses cloned cells from an embryo killed long ago.

+++++++++

Online mountaineer

I hope the paralyzed folks appreciate the human lives sacrified for them, then.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org