Author Topic: Scientists stop and reverse Alzheimer's-related brain damage in mice  (Read 1295 times)

rangerrebew

Scientists stop and reverse Alzheimer's-related brain damage in mice
Written by Ana Sandoiu
Published: Today
email
134Share
Alzheimer's disease is a neurodegenerative illness that affects millions of people in the United States. The condition is known to be gradual and irreversible - but emerging research may have found a way to reduce, and even reverse, some of the neurological damage that comes with the disorder.
[neurons with tau tangles]Neurons that contain the synthetic molecule (here shown in red) have no tau tangles (shown in green).
Image credit: Sarah DeVos

Alzheimer's disease affects more than 5 million U.S. adults, according to the National Institute on Aging.

The brain disorder has been linked to an accumulation of plaque and dysfunctional proteins in the brain. Most of the existing research has focused on the buildup of the protein amyloid beta, but more recent studies have used the latest imaging techniques to investigate another protein, called tau.

In a healthy brain, the protein tau contributes to the good functioning of the neurons. The brain has a kind of cell transportation system that carries cell parts, food molecules, and other materials along something that resembles railroad tracks.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/315474.php
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 04:39:20 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline dfwgator

Re: Scientists stop and reverse Alzheimer's-related brain damage in mice
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 04:45:15 pm »
Great news for mice!

Offline chae

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 04:45:53 pm »
My father died of a massive heart attack in 1999 at age 55.  So my mother and I were talking to the wife of one of his dear friends.  She had just gotten back from visiting her husband in the nursing home.  She broke down in tears and said that as hard it was when my dad died, she wished that her husband had dies suddenly like dad and not suffer with Alzheimers.
 Hopefully this will work in people!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 04:49:30 pm by chae »

Offline Idiot

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 08:51:24 pm »
I pray it is a cure.  I've known several people who lost a relative to Alzheimer's....what a HORRIBLE disease.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 09:08:00 pm »
Yeah yeah yeah. Another day, another article on a possible cure for Alzheimer's. Nothing ever comes of it. Meanwhile, my dad is degenerating fast. I've been reading these articles for 15 years, at least.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Idiot

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 09:23:05 pm »
Yeah yeah yeah. Another day, another article on a possible cure for Alzheimer's. Nothing ever comes of it. Meanwhile, my dad is degenerating fast. I've been reading these articles for 15 years, at least.
I'm sorry @bolobaby.........

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 03:27:05 am »

Sorry mate. Must be rough.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink