Author Topic: From refugee to #Marine. @USMC Cpl Ali J. Mohammed takes the fight to the doorstep of those who cast his family out.  (Read 1209 times)

Offline endicom

An odd tweet considering Trump's recent decisions and announcements, no?

No. Think of WWI and the Irish-Americans fighting on the side of the detested British.

Think of WWII and the German/Italian/Japanese-Americans fighting against, sometimes directly against, their recent or current relatives.

Offline Victoria33

@Weird Tolkienish Figure
@mystery-ak
@Oceander
@CatherineofAragon
@Freya
@Bigun
@Suppressed

The underlying problem is what the Muslim children were taught to believe about all "infidels", those not of the Islamic faith.  Here is an example of childhood training:

After the iron curtain came down, my Bob, the earth scientist/geologist, was one of the first oil men to go into Russia.  He had meetings with the Russian "czar" of energy in Moscow.  Bob had an interpreter with him at all times.  One evening, the Russian and Bob went to dinner.  At a certain point, the Russian began to cry.  When he had controlled himself, he said something and the interpreter told Bob, "He said he could not kill you."  The Russian said he had been brought up to hate all Americans, that they should be killed, and he could not kill Bob.  That is what we are facing with Muslims who have been taught all their lives that infidels need to be killed.

We have a prayer rug given to Bob by the Kazakhstan President on the President's birthday.  Bob was a good representative of the US to be in those countries at that time.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 02:06:35 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
My maternal grandfathers family emigrated out of Russia during the reign of Tsar Alexander III. They saw the writing on the wall regarding Jews there, they were lucky they got out before Nicholas and Alexandra and all the things that transpired after.

As much as I would love to see the town they came from, see St. Basil's church, (which I hear is beautiful), I very much doubt I would ever get there.

@Victoria33 , you make a very good point. Isn't there a song in the musical "South Pacific" that goes something like you've got to be taught to hate?
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline skeeter

An easy point to make anecdotally.

But reasonable people can appreciate the patriotic service of muslim Americans while at the same time seeing the wisdom in more diligently vetting new arrivals from muslim countries.

Offline Victoria33

An easy point to make anecdotally.

But reasonable people can appreciate the patriotic service of muslim Americans while at the same time seeing the wisdom in more diligently vetting new arrivals from muslim countries.
@skeeter

Seldom are situations universal.  The Islamic tenant of infidels need to be submitted to Islam or be eliminated so Islam is the world faith is part of their teaching.  Does this teaching cause EVERY Muslim to be a killer, no.  But we know in those Islamic counties, that is the teaching.  This Muslim US Marine does not adhere to that teaching.  The Muslim US military officer who killed numerous soldiers at the base in Texas, did adhere to that teaching.  It is difficult to "vet" someone's mind, to know what he/she is inside that mind. 

Offline skeeter

@skeeter

Seldom are situations universal.  The Islamic tenant of infidels need to be submitted to Islam or be eliminated so Islam is the world faith is part of their teaching.  Does this teaching cause EVERY Muslim to be a killer, no.  But we know in those Islamic counties, that is the teaching.  This Muslim US Marine does not adhere to that teaching.  The Muslim US military officer who killed numerous soldiers at the base in Texas, did adhere to that teaching.  It is difficult to "vet" someone's mind, to know what he/she is inside that mind.

That is the dilemma - those that are here must be given the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise. But that doesn't mean we have to accept more.

Offline mirraflake

No. Think of WWI and the Irish-Americans fighting on the side of the detested British.

Think of WWII and the German/Italian/Japanese-Americans fighting against, sometimes directly against, their recent or current relatives.

Not the same. Your example is based upon race while the other is based upon religion.

@endicom
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 03:38:50 pm by mirraflake »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
It's odd if you view Trump as being anti-Muslim.  It's not odd at all if you view him as being anti-Muslim extremists.