Author Topic: USAF faces pilot shortage  (Read 850 times)

rangerrebew

USAF faces pilot shortage
« on: January 25, 2017, 11:32:40 am »
USAF faces pilot shortage
The past 25 years of continuous combat operations has taken a toll on the Air Force fighter community

January 23, 2017

U.S. Air Force photo Senior Airman Kayla Newman/DVIDSHUB

NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE, Nev. — The Air Force is in the midst of a pilot shortage. While most platforms are affected by the shortage, the fighter pilot community has been hit the hardest.

In September 2015, the Air Force Chief of Staff directed a fighter enterprise redesign to focus on developing a strategy and implementation plan to ensure the Air Force has an enduring, proficient and sufficient fighter pilot force.

Senior Air Force leaders took time to discuss the topic during the annual Weapons and Tactics Conference at Nellis Air Force Base from Jan. 9-13.

https://www.military1.com/military-career/article/1694711014-usaf-faces-pilot-shortage/
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 11:33:17 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Remington Snodgrass

Re: USAF faces pilot shortage
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 12:53:04 am »
I served 22 yrs 6 mos & 3 days in USAF, almost all of it in fighter units in ADC, PACAF & USAFE. I served in various capacities as my physical profile deteriorated. I was always enlisted, although the job assignment did not necessarily correspond to the pay grade. I began in weapons control systems and finished in ops plans (DOX). I always loved my duties and the men with whom I served; but I never really cared for the system (mostly excesses of command). I spent four years in Japan (about 2 yrs on TDY); one year in Vietnam (for me not a good war; my little pink body suffered from physical injuries (no knee right leg; 4 crushed vertebra; 2 torn rotator cuffs, etc.), all caused by direct action; and a rather debilitating medical condition, i.e. covered head to foot with Agent Orange, from which I experience all eleven of the conditions listed by the VA. I am slowly dying from such exposure.
I must speak to the losses incurred by the Air Force of which I have first hand knowledge (5 years in USAFE; during which time I served 5 extended TDYs with the LUFWAFFE). My last unit (48TFW) lost far too many very capable combat ready pilots. A few of these men had over 1,000 hours combat time in the aircraft, several had flown F-4s for more than ten years rated service. In Sep-Oct-Nov 1977 alone we lost 25 to 30 young gentlemen (20 of whom were regulars. 1 man from Annapolis, 7 Zoomies [lower case does not denote atheism], 12 Woops, all combat ready pilots more than qualified to sit any line. The remainder were ROTC to include 2 aggies, 2 from VMI, and 1 man from the Citadel. These men were extraordinary, not a weak stick among the lot. And yet only one man was responsible for this mind numbing lass. JAMES EARL CARTER, also known as James the Dumb. I can well imagine the attrition under our most recent president, whose desire appeared to turn our fighting forces into Kamikaze units. We had some of that as well after Mr Carter gave all of our conventional munitions to Israel after their most recent fracas in the sand. We did maintain our 72- hour float of conventional stores, required by NATO.
I pray for our forces daily.
Remington Snodgrass (an old cross-country name tag)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 12:57:49 am »
Welcome Remington Snodgrass ...I'm an Air Force Brat...my dad was career Air Force Pilot...many many years ago...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 01:10:33 am »
Thanks RS, that's a difficult story to tell us. My prayers.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 03:48:58 pm »
It's not just pilots they're short on, I've read the USAF is over 40k bodies short to perform the missions they're tasked to perform.

They'll do what they always do...throw money at the pilots, but that's not the long term fix.  There are actually way too many problems to list, but I'll offer my anecdotal observations based on staying in close touch with many and working on an AF base with servicemembers.

The current atmosphere/culture within the AF has become so PC as to be deemed an unacceptable risk to many.

Promotions are highly political and any mistake, no matter how trivial, can be a career ender...it's no longer my AF.  NCO's and SNCO's who are careerists and not leaders throwing their people under the bus in order to preserve their careers, not standing up for and defending their troops in the face of abject stupidity and idiocy.  Very few CHIEFS any more, mostly E-9s running the joint who are nothing but yes men to the officers.  CHIEFS are the enlisted rep, the bulwark (BS deflector) to buffer the stupidity that comes from on high...no longer.

There have been witchhunts towards some who have dared to cross over the line.  Prosecutions of individuals based on the flimsiest of evidence, training for just about every damned thing under the sun, Green Dot, SAPR, etc...then there's the correspondence courses that have become mandatory and must be completed within a year that are placing huge demands on personal time, notwithstanding the in residence courses as well...it's not "one or the other", it's both and it's redundant.

Most recently, with the inauguration of President Trump, unofficial photos (notably the one of him on the tank), Pence and the St. Mattis photo have been placed on the CoC walls drawing the ire of the stiff necked ones...and initiating witch hunts in order to find and punish those responsible.  It's not viewed as good natured fun, let alone for a day or so and then corrected...does not meet their definition of "good order and discipline".  They're crying foul over the "unprofessionalism" of it all.  The standards for "offending" have been lowering for some time.

All of that and more may seem trivial and it is...but I believe that's the point.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline endicom

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 04:33:36 pm »
Promotions are highly political and any mistake, no matter how trivial, can be a career ender...it's no longer my AF.  NCO's and SNCO's who are careerists and not leaders throwing their people under the bus in order to preserve their careers, not standing up for and defending their troops in the face of abject stupidity and idiocy.  Very few CHIEFS any more, mostly E-9s running the joint who are nothing but yes men to the officers.  CHIEFS are the enlisted rep, the bulwark (BS deflector) to buffer the stupidity that comes from on high...no longer.

NCOs standing up would be punished and with no good being done. To band together would be mutiny and to stand alone is to have your head lopped off.

It all starts at the top so if Trump is to improve things then he'll have to change the atmosphere.

Offline Remington Snodgrass

Re: USAF faces pilot shortage-REDUX
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 03:38:12 am »
Sad I have never in my life done or said one single thing that could be considered "politically correct." I was reared by a single mother, I was raised in the barracks. Altogether I spent 9 1/2 years in barracks, bunkers, tents, foxholes, ditches, and one tree. Life in the barracks was life by consensus. Consensus was normative. Feel free to offer any opinion, but be prepared to defend that opinion. Certainly the officers set the requirements, interpreted by the "enlisted swine." "Everyone knows that all enlisted men are cases of arrested development." There were no females! I was in the service four over four years before I was allowed to address an officer in the first person. Should you feel the need to offer a point of view contrary to the "consensus," you were often required to engage in what was known as a "soldier's conference." I spent 20 months at Lowry AFB in Denver being schooled in Weapons Control Systems. Then assigned to the 465FIS at Griffiss AFB, Rome New York, where we had F-94C, F-89D,H,J. We also had 22 B-29s and the Rome Air Devopment Center, which had at least one of everything ever flown. It was a good first base. Then I went to Itazuke AB, Japan to the 68FIS, part of 8TFW. Japan was still occupied at the time (following WWII). Then the democrats (lower case does not denote atheism) came to power. Suddenly, we had insufficient supplies of fuel and weapons for adequate training. We had single-seat aircraft who had difficulty navigating up and down the coast of Red China. And that is how we went to Vietnam. On 10 Jan, 66 I climbed on a Dirty-Thirty Hercky Bird (C-130D) for the brown and green paradise (with red dirt) along with one other man, as cargo couriers. Our cargo included ammo, rations, and one very interesting Aim-26 with a nuclear warhead. Oh boy, fortunately I told the driver, who took it back to the Philippines. They never got it off the aircraft. Can't you imagine the joy of dangerous dan rather or walter cronkite upon hearing this joyous news. And so the cycle continued. Republicans in power, peace and a sufficiency in all things. Democrats in power, conflict and shortages. It was a democratic congress that abandoned American troops on the field of battle with inadequate stores of food, fuel, , and medical supplies, not to mention the POWs. It was in Vietnam that I sustained certain physical injuries (no right patella, little remaining of left patella, two torn rotator cuffs, four crushed vertebrae) and (the debilitating effects of a complete drenching in Agent Orange).
And so,it went, year in and year out: up, down, up, down, down, down. Up, down, down, down, down, and then the democrats sell off the bases to developers, with an accompanying reduction in qualified personnel. And then - POLITICAL CORRECTNESS rears its ugly head. The universities which became havens for draft dodgers and perverts of every stripe (a little over the top there) invented political correctness or PC. There have been rumors about the PC movement being the result of unnatural relations taking place between baboons and professors, but no one has been able to verify this, yet.
And there we stand, a demoralized military and an incompetent political leadership. A recipe for disaster? I believe that you either trust God or you don't. And so, we wait and we pray. It has always been that way. We cannot give to the inadequate, the incompetent, or the lunatic.
In 1934, the Archbishop of Munich publicly endorsed Hitler. A stringer for British paper the Guardian (actually a spy for MI-6) asked the kindly old Archbishop how he could do such a thing? The Archbishop replied: "It is the function of the Church in every age to be aware of the working of the Holy Spirit. Today, the Holy Spirit has chosen to work through Adolf Hitler!" And so it goes.
All we have to do, is what we have been told to do, "Watch and pray." The proper answers alre always that simple. And, the simple tasks are often the most difficult for those of us who "Watch and Wait." And remember the 2nd Amendment, a God given right.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 05:25:44 am by Remington Snodgrass »