Author Topic: Sean Spicer defends inauguration claim: 'Sometimes we can disagree with facts'  (Read 1281 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
By David Smith
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/23/sean-spicer-white-house-press-briefing-inauguration-alternative-facts

Donald Trump’s spokesman, Sean Spicer, was unapologetic on Monday for making false assertions about the size of
the crowd at his inauguration, declaring: “Sometimes we can disagree with the facts.”

Spicer, 45, was catapulted to celebrity on Saturday when he berated the media for its coverage of the ceremony. The press
secretary claimed it had the biggest audience in history despite evidence from photos, crowd experts, TV ratings and the
Washington Metro network.

#SpicerFacts jokes flooded Twitter and were used with relish by public announcers at sports games across the US.

On Monday, in his first Q&A session at the White House, Spicer struck a softer tone but was far from repentant.

Asked if it was his intention to always tell the truth from the White House podium, the press secretary replied: “It is. It’s
an honor to do this, and yes, I believe that we have to be honest with the American people. I think sometimes we can
disagree with the facts. There are certain things that we may not fully understand when we come out, but our intention
is never to lie to you.”

More . . .

Let's see: they will never lie to us but, sometimes, they can disagree with the facts.

Oh.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.---George Orwell, in 1984.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Night Hides Not

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline EasyAce

I don't know if it's all that wise to "let it go" when told outright and point blank that facts can be disagreed
with. We know this isn't the first time a given administration has thought so, but coming right
out and saying so is a little bit different. It's not about the inauguration qua the inauguration, but it
does raise the very legitimate question of, if they'll lie and say it's ok to lie about facts about an inauguration
crowd, would they lie and say it's ok to lie about far more grave matters? That I think is a side of the topic
that needs debate, and lots of it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 07:22:47 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Fortunately, Spicer admitted he was wrong today and apologised. He's not still digging.

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline skeeter

Fortunately, Spicer admitted he was wrong today and apologised. He's not still digging.

The media will still milk it for a few more days.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

A week or so. Maybe longer. Their virtue got questioned.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

Yeah, I think his original point might not even be a lie despite it's portrayal in the media. IIRC he was saying that if you count all media viewing of the inauguration, that it was the most watched in history. Still might be a dubious claim, i don't know, but he wasn't saying it was the most attended.

His mistake was to bring it up in the first place.

geronl

Trump brought it up, Conway brought it up... they weren't alone. This came from the top.

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline skeeter

Yeah, I think his original point might not even be a lie despite it's portrayal in the media. IIRC he was saying that if you count all media viewing of the inauguration, that it was the most watched in history. Still might be a dubious claim, i don't know, but he wasn't saying it was the most attended.

Their mistake is also semantic - stop using the word 'facts' and start using the word 'details'.

The media is leaping all over their ill advised choice of words.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I remember how "conservatives" behaved when Michael Moore described his lying as his "Version of the truth".

Offline skeeter

I remember how "conservatives" behaved when Michael Moore described his lying as his "Version of the truth".
The only way that would upset me was if I was close enough to smell his breath when he said it.

geronl

"There are Billions!!"

Offline EasyAce

The only way that would upset me was if I was close enough to smell his breath when he said it.