Author Topic: The psychology of sleep  (Read 446 times)

rangerrebew

The psychology of sleep
« on: January 24, 2017, 02:54:46 pm »
The psychology of sleep
Cognitive behavioral therapy can help patients shed the bad habits and anxious thoughts that make for sleepless nights.

By Shawn Foucher   | 0 comments | 31 Shares | January 22, 2017

It’s early morning. Not “look-at-that-heavenly-golden-sunrise” morning, but “oh-dear-God-please-let-me-go-to-sleep” early morning.

Since midnight your thumbs have been flitting feverishly over your smartphone. You loiter on Facebook and Pinterest a while before settling on Netflix, through which you scroll for an entire hour without ever watching a movie.

Somewhere between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m., depending on the severity of your disorder, you finally put down the phone and heave an exasperated sigh. You stare at the ceiling, vacant and wild-eyed, pleading for slumber.

http://healthbeat.spectrumhealth.org/the-psychology-of-sleep/?&utm_source=email&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=http%3a%2f%2fhealthbeat.spectrumhealth.org%2fthe-psychology-of-sleep%2f&utm_campaign=Weekly+Email#
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 02:55:23 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Suppressed

Re: The psychology of sleep
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 11:57:27 pm »
Alright...who was peeping into my bedroom window for that excerpt?!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mountaineer

Re: The psychology of sleep
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 12:58:59 pm »
Yeah, except for not owning a smartphone or looking at internet sites in the middle of the night, it could be me, too. I just lie in bed, flopping from side to side, trying not to look at the clock.

Here are some suggestions from the article:
Try these approaches each night before bed:

Turn off electronics. This includes cell phones, tablets, TV, any technology. It’s best to keep this stuff out of the bedroom altogether. Dr. Cuddihy’s ironclad rule: “An hour before bed, all that should be turned off and not turned on again until you wake up in the morning.”

Set a sleep schedule. Go to bed at the same time each night and wake up at the same time every morning.

Make a list. Hours before bed, purge your mind of what you suspect will nag at you in bed. Write down the shopping list for tomorrow, the to-do items, the bright idea you’ve been tossing around. Don’t take those thoughts to bed.

Quiet your mind. Practice mindfulness—be present in the moment and let go. “It’s one of the skills I sometimes teach patients who are having a lot of racing thoughts,” Dr. Cuddihy said. “Instead of honing in on those thoughts and following them where they go, separate yourself from them and focus internally on your breathing.”
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org