Author Topic: McCain: Trump's withdrawal from TPP a 'serious mistake'  (Read 757 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

McCain: Trump's withdrawal from TPP a 'serious mistake'
« on: January 23, 2017, 10:13:04 pm »
McCain: Trump's withdrawal from TPP a 'serious mistake'
The Hill, Jan 23, 2017, JORDAIN CARNEY

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) blasted President Trump on Monday, warning that his decision to withdraw from the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) will spark a wave of negative consequences.

“President Trump’s decision to formally withdraw from the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) is a serious mistake that will have lasting consequences for America’s economy and our strategic position in the Asia-Pacific region," McCain said in a statement.

Trump signed an executive action on Monday withdrawing from the trade deal, a key pillar of the Obama administration's second term.

The decision drew quick praise from Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio), who broke with Obama over the agreement.

But McCain argued that it is the "wrong decision" and will increase China's economic influence in the region.

"It will send a troubling signal of American disengagement in the Asia-Pacific region at a time we can least afford it," he said.

Top Senate Republicans, including Sen. Orrin Hatch  (R-Utah), appeared open last year to moving the trade deal if the Obama administration would commit to changes to the agreement.

But Trump drew a hard line on trade during his campaign, and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell  (R-Ky.) acknowledged last year that TPP was dead for the foreseeable future.

McCain added on Monday that the administration should support a "positive trade agenda" in the Asia-Pacific region in the future.

Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) said on Monday that pro-trade lawmakers have to do a better job of defending their positions.

"It's clear that those of us who believe trade is good for American families have done a terrible job defending trade's historic successes and celebrating its future potential," he said. "We have to make the arguments and we have to start now."

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/315666-mccain-trump-withdrawing-from-tpp-a-serious-mistake

Offline flowers

Re: McCain: Trump's withdrawal from TPP a 'serious mistake'
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 10:17:32 pm »
Anything that is good for America is a serious mistake has been what McCain has thought for many decades.

@Right_in_Virginia He is a traitor to this country, How Arizona keeps on re-electing him blows me away.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 10:17:39 pm »
By itself this making McCain upset makes my Trump vote worth it.   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 10:21:48 pm »
Being on the opposite side of what McCain is for is almost always the right side of the argument IMHO!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 10:24:49 pm »
Being on the opposite side of what McCain is for is almost always the right side of the argument IMHO!

Agreed.   John must have a kickback he's about to lose.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 10:27:13 pm »

Prolly!  Either that or he just love being the turd in the republican punch bowl.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online dfwgator

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 10:37:04 pm »
Time to increase McCain's dosage....

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 01:08:03 am »

HonestJohn

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 01:10:40 am »

You are standing with Bernie Sanders on this, you know.

And we've handed economic control of Asia to China and their RCEP, which is their version of the TPP.  We could have been the leader, but now we'll be dancing to China's commands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_Comprehensive_Economic_Partnership
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 01:13:13 am by HonestJohn »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 01:14:43 am »
This idiot McLame spends more time going after stuff Donny does than he ever did going after Obama. Can he finally be honest and leave the party already and take Grahamnesty with him.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 01:16:09 am »
This idiot McLame spends more time going after stuff Donny does than he ever did going after Obama. Can he finally be honest and leave the party already and take Grahamnesty with him.

I've been asking that exact same question for years! Glad for the company!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 01:21:34 am »

That's what first came to mind.  McCain is part of the swamp that desperately needs to be drained. 

« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 01:24:01 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.