Author Topic: Trump Signs First Anti Abortion Legislation Today  (Read 53794 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: Trump Signs First Anti Abortion Legislation Today
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2017, 07:54:47 pm »
@Jazzhead

Why do  you seek to eliminate men from this critically important issue?  Should our right to vote be restricted?  Should there be a gender test on every issue?

@driftdiver

The standard retort to your question is because it's their body.  Somehow that eliminates us totally from the picture...unless of course the woman decides to have the baby then it's only the man's wallet the woman is interested in.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2017, 08:15:31 pm »
I have no objection to an end to "bankrolling overseas abortions", whatever exactly that means.   The government can choose to spend or not spend taxpayer dollars on such things.   It's the legal/Constitutional rights of U.S. citizens that concern me.   A nonviable fetus isn't a citizen and has no rights vis a vis its mother, and I have no interest in a nonviable fetus gaining such rights at the expense of a woman's self-determination.   Use your powers of persuasion to convince a woman to do the right thing;  but don't agitate for the government to take her rights away. 

But the real point of my response is that Trump's agenda is an ambitious and in many respects a salutary one.  I want to see it succeed.  But Trump needs to pick his battles.  He can cripple his agenda by wading into the abortion snakepit, or he can propel that agenda by leaving womens' rights the hell alone.   

I'm curious how murder is a woman's "right"  There is no such right in the constitution despite the tortured logic that led the supreme court to declare it so
God is still in control

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2017, 08:22:04 pm »
I'm curious how murder is a woman's "right"  There is no such right in the constitution despite the tortured logic that led the supreme court to declare it so

:2popcorn: here...I'll share my popcorn with you.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Silver Pines

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2017, 08:32:25 pm »
Hoodat,  I have no interest in arguing abortion with you.   I think it's wrong just as you do, but I oppose the government imposing my or your morality on others.   This is a decision that every adult woman in America has had the right to make FOR HERSELF for over 40 years now.   That is how is should be, and must remain.   

I am sick of this issue keeping conservatives and libertarians from advancing their agendas.  It has been a millstone around our necks for years.   It is a narrow issue pushed by religious social conservatives,  and they simply cannot be permitted to have their way, at the expense of the rest of our issues.   Why should any woman agree to the abrogation of the most precious right she possesses?   Of course women will fight this tooth and nail - with good reason.

There are all kinds of tools for persuading women to do the right thing, short of utilizing the police  power of the state.   Use them.  Use persuasion.  Support adoption.  Support better contraceptive options.  Preach abstinence.  But leave a woman's legal right the hell alone.   

@Jazzhead

I don't recognize a woman's right to still the beating heart within her body, and I most certainly wouldn't describe it as "precious."  The simple fact is that a woman no more has the right to take innocent human life than anyone else on the planet, under any other circumstances. 

The more I think about "precious" regarding the practice of abortion, when it's been proven that babies feel pain when they're torn apart, the sicker I feel.  Good God.

Silver Pines

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2017, 08:33:19 pm »
This is...IIRC merely reimplementing legislation that W had put in place that was reversed by EO under Obama.

I'm with you....lets see what he does in the U.S. first before we cheer him on this.

Like start with defending the states that have taken it upon themselves to cut off funding to the abortion mills within their own borders.

Hell I'd be happy if his DoJ decided to go after the ghouls that were busted selling baby parts.

@txradioguy

This is my understanding, as well, and I agree with everything you've said here.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2017, 08:38:04 pm »

When I've had to argue the point, I've found that an effective argument goes along the lines of, "if you plan to kill a child, you ought to have a really good reason for doing so.  What, in your view, is a good reason to kill a child?"

It gets away from that argument about whether or not it really is a human being -- of course it is a human being, and any honest person will admit it.

The public debate never does seem to be conducted on those terms.  However, technology (in the form of ever more detailed ultrasounds) has a way of bending the discussion our way. 

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2017, 08:40:10 pm »
When I've had to argue the point, I've found that an effective argument goes along the lines of, "if you plan to kill a child, you ought to have a really good reason for doing so.  What, in your view, is a good reason to kill a child?"

It gets away from that argument about whether or not it really is a human being -- of course it is a human being, and any honest person will admit it.

The public debate never does seem to be conducted on those terms.  However, technology (in the form of ever more detailed ultrasounds) has a way of bending the discussion our way.

So a child is technically a "part" of a woman's body until she gives birth.  So by that logic she should be able to kill the child right up to the point where she gives birth.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2017, 08:47:07 pm »
So a child is technically a "part" of a woman's body until she gives birth.  So by that logic she should be able to kill the child right up to the point where she gives birth.

Only if you think the child is not a separate human being.  Which, of course, it is.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 08:47:30 pm by r9etb »

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2017, 08:47:59 pm »
@Jazzhead

I don't recognize a woman's right to still the beating heart within her body, and I most certainly wouldn't describe it as "precious."  The simple fact is that a woman no more has the right to take innocent human life than anyone else on the planet, under any other circumstances. 

The more I think about "precious" regarding the practice of abortion, when it's been proven that babies feel pain when they're torn apart, the sicker I feel.  Good God.

Kat, all you need understand is what he said. "I am sick of this issue keeping conservatives and libertarians from advancing their agendas."

You have heard me say that some people are perfectly willing to trade human life for a 'win". This is exactly that. No more, no less. And it ain't libertarian OR conservative. It is 100% liberal and 100% evil.

This is why there is little point arguing with such people. You cannot convince evil to not be what it is.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2017, 08:53:44 pm »
@driftdiver

The standard retort to your question is because it's their body.  Somehow that eliminates us totally from the picture...unless of course the woman decides to have the baby then it's only the man's wallet the woman is interested in.

@txradioguy

I made up my mind when I decided a baby is a baby, not a fetus.   When making decisions treat the baby like a person and the rest of the decisions are much easier.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2017, 09:00:14 pm »
I made up my mind when I decided a baby is a baby, not a fetus.   When making decisions treat the baby like a person and the rest of the decisions are much easier.

It does, indeed.  Especially when so many of the arguments for killing babies seem to boil down to matters of convenience.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2017, 09:00:30 pm »
@txradioguy

I made up my mind when I decided a baby is a baby, not a fetus.  When making decisions treat the baby like a person and the rest of the decisions are much easier.

Exactly!

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2017, 09:10:23 pm »
@txradioguy

I agree!   But it's not up to you or me - or the government -  to make that decision for others.  Each and every adult woman must have the right to decide for herself. 

Use your powers of persuasion.   Don't doubt the power you possess.   But it's not the government's power. 

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline r9etb

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2017, 09:11:18 pm »
I agree!   But it's not up to you or me - or the government -  to make that decision for others.  Each and every adult woman must have the right to decide for herself. 

Use your powers of persuasion.   Don't doubt the power you possess.   But it's not the government's power.

Um.... you think we get to pick and choose which humans we can kill? 

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2017, 09:12:13 pm »
"I have no objection to an end to "bankrolling overseas abortions", whatever exactly that means."

Sorry, I assumed one reads the article under discussion. This must mean exactly whatever that means.

Reversing a policy Obama put into place on the same day eight years ago when he began his administration, Trump also moved to prohibit non-governmental organizations from receiving foreign aid if they perform abortions. 

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4148084/Proposed-Trump-executive-orders-trade-EPA-hiring-freeze.html#ixzz4WcamCBWv
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

This of promoting abortion or even performing abortions overseas, in Honduras or Kenya or whatever backwater there is, has always bothered me.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2017, 09:13:15 pm »

And yet right now it IS the Federal government's power to dictate to the states that they MUST provide this service...even in states where the majority of the citizens living there don't want it.

So despite what you said YES the government is making the decision for others.

And thanks to abortion on demand...the birth replacement rate in this country is as bad as Europe's...we've become a dying nation without enough people being born each year to outpace the dead.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2017, 09:14:53 pm »
Um.... you think we get to pick and choose which humans we can kill?

The ironic thing is that the same SCOTUS Justice that laid the groundwork for Roe v Wade...was also on the majority opinion that found the death penalty unconstitutional under the 8th Amendment.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2017, 09:15:01 pm »
Planned Parenthood or the like, seem to get money from people like Buffet, Gates, probably Soros, all kinds of places. So, they really do not need to get that $500 million plus of grant money a year.

A lot of this is what this specific discussion is about. At least, to most people.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 09:15:33 pm by TomSea »

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2017, 09:16:17 pm »

By that logic you'd be fine with anyone walking in and killing you if they chose that decision. Thats insanity. A baby/You. No difference. Both human life.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2017, 09:18:49 pm »
    Trump will sign more executive orders this morning imposing his will on the country as he sends his predecessor's agenda through the paper shredder
    First up: Obama's Trans-Pacific Partnership and the North American Free Trade Agreement
    The president is also expected to take action on a five-year lobbying ban for senior officials and prohibit NGOs from receiving aid if they perform abortions
    Also said to be looking at a hiring freeze for the executive branch and dozens of orders rolling back regulations  issued by the EPA

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4148084/Proposed-Trump-executive-orders-trade-EPA-hiring-freeze.html#ixzz4WbOCO7Db
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4148084/Proposed-Trump-executive-orders-trade-EPA-hiring-freeze.html
Semantics here, but the title is erroneous.

Executive Orders are not Legislation.  Big difference, especially for those who further a Constitutional Republic.

It is usually best if Legislation was actually used for this rather than some Executive Action, as a future President cannot easily undo Legislation.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 09:20:45 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2017, 09:19:21 pm »
That's why the baby has unique DNA from the moment it was conceived.  :whistle:
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2017, 09:20:02 pm »
@Jazzhead
WOW, so the right to kill another human is the most precious right for women?  Why are so many women against abortion then?

The right that's precious is the right to one's self-determination.  A woman must have the right to decide whether to reproduce.   That right must exist, in my view, so long as the fetus is not yet viable.   

Why do  you seek to eliminate men from this critically important issue?  Should our right to vote be restricted?  Should there be a gender test on every issue? 

Men don't endure the pain and burden of gestation and childbirth.   Men have, again in my view, no right whatsoever to force a woman to abort, or to give birth.  But by supporting their partner, they can persuade her to do the right thing.   

The fact is that abortion is big business.  Young children must be encouraged to have sex to continue the pipeline.  They will not accept anything that detracts from that goal.

What cynical bullcrap.   This is about the right of a woman to decide her future for herself, by herself.  It may have taken thousands of years for women to gain such autonomy;  I for one refuse to abide religious zealots who insist the state force a woman to carry an unwanted pregnancy to term.     

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2017, 09:21:18 pm »
The right that's precious is the right to one's self-determination.  A woman must have the right to decide whether to reproduce.   That right must exist, in my view, so long as the fetus is not yet viable.   

And can you identify that "magic moment" when a fetus becomes "viable"?

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2017, 09:22:11 pm »
And yet right now it IS the Federal government's power to dictate to the states that they MUST provide this service...even in states where the majority of the citizens living there don't want it.

So despite what you said YES the government is making the decision for others.

No government - state or federal - should have the power to deny a woman her INDIVIDUAL right of self-determination.   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2017, 09:25:12 pm »
And can you identify that "magic moment" when a fetus becomes "viable"?

What is important is that the woman have a real and meaningful right to choose her future.   I don't object to a statute setting a specified time at which viability is assumed.  But a law that prohibits abortion before viability  - as reasonably defined - cannot stand.