Author Topic: Food Stamp Use Linked to Raised Early Death Risk in Study  (Read 828 times)

rangerrebew

Food Stamp Use Linked to Raised Early Death Risk in Study
« on: January 22, 2017, 04:52:16 pm »
HealthDay Logo
Food Stamp Use Linked to Raised Early Death Risk in Study
Highlights need to improve health of poorer Americans, researchers say
Email this page to a friend Print Facebook Twitter Google+ Subscribe to RSS
By Robert Preidt
Thursday, January 19, 2017
HealthDay news image

THURSDAY, Jan. 19, 2017 (HealthDay News) -- Americans who use or are eligible for food stamps have a higher risk of premature death than people who aren't eligible for them, a new study finds.

"Our results suggest that the millions of low-income Americans who rely on SNAP for food assistance require even greater support to improve their health than they currently receive," said study senior author Dr. Dariush Mozaffarian. He is dean of Tufts University's School of Nutrition Science and Policy in Boston.

Mozaffarian's team looked at data from 2000 to 2011. There was information on nearly 500,000 adults aged 25 and older who received benefits from the federal government's Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). SNAP benefits are commonly called food stamps.

https://medlineplus.gov/news/fullstory_163142.html
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 04:52:56 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline dfwgator

Re: Food Stamp Use Linked to Raised Early Death Risk in Study
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 04:54:33 pm »
Well, duh.  People who make bad life choices tend to be on food stamps, and those same choices aren't conducive to a long life.

Correlation does not imply causation.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 04:56:48 pm »
So those carts full of frozen meals, bags of chips, and gallons of juicy juice aren't healthy? Whodathunk?
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 05:01:30 pm »
Well, duh.  People who make bad life choices tend to be on food stamps, and those same choices aren't conducive to a long life.

It's an indication of a problem getting exponentially worse. We pay for the unhealthy food they choose. Next we pay for their knee and hip replacements, diabetes meds and treatments, cholesterol and bp meds, and surgeries galore with all the therapies and hospital stays that go with them. Finally, when they die early, we pay their kids even more SSI.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 05:26:43 pm »
So those carts full of frozen meals, bags of chips, and gallons of juicy juice 24-packs of Mountain Dew aren't healthy? Whodathunk?
Fixed. Believe me, I've taken many an EBT card and the soda purchases are by far the most common. (Of course, we have bottle deposit here so that is also a factor. Pay the deposit on EBT, get it back in cash... usually for cheap beer.)

And we wonder with all that acid-sugar-water they're consuming, why people have health problems.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 05:36:15 pm »

:thumbsup:

Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 05:43:16 pm »
The solution here would be to increase the SNAP benifit so those folk could afford better food stuffs.  A heathy diet of Filet mignon,  chateaubriand, peasant under glass, Coconut water.  Long Life for all.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 05:46:13 pm »
The solution here would be to increase the SNAP benifit so those folk could afford better food stuffs.  A heathy diet of Filet mignon,  chateaubriand, peasant under glass, Coconut water.  Long Life for all.

I always love following SJWs during the yearly SNAP challenge and posting my own grocery purchases as if I was on SNAP. We eat well on a SNAP budget. Of course, I cook so I buy ingredients to make delicious food instead of buying expensive premade crap.
I stand with Roosgirl.

geronl

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 05:47:53 pm »
Not eating would probably cause death earlier.