Author Topic: Conway: 'We're going to have to rethink our relationship' with press  (Read 10253 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Conway: 'We're going to have to rethink our relationship' with press
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2017, 01:59:19 pm »
Conway: 'We're going to have to rethink our relationship' with press
By Kyle Balluck - 01/22/17 09:42 AM EST

A top aide to President Trump said on Sunday that the new administration is going to “rethink” its relationship with the press.

"We're going to have to rethink our relationship here," Kellyanne Conway said on NBC’s “Meet the Press” after host Chuck Todd asked about press secretary Sean Spicer’s criticism of the press one day earlier.

Spicer in his first official appearance in the James S. Brady Press Briefing Room denounced news organizations’ focus on the inaugural crowd size as “shameful and wrong.”

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/315523-conway-were-going-to-have-to-rethink-our-relationship-with-press
Reagan did this successfully for 8 years by going directly to the people.

Trump should just adopt that strategy and ignore the media.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2017, 02:20:31 pm »
Reagan did this successfully for 8 years by going directly to the people.

Trump should just adopt that strategy and ignore the media.

Yes Reagan used the internet with great success.  :silly:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2017, 02:54:14 pm »

Revisionism and denial are going to hit new heights with the Trumpers, especially as their hero becomes more of an embarrassment.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2017, 02:57:31 pm »

Revisionism and denial are going to hit new heights with the Trumpers, especially as their hero becomes more of an embarrassment.

The point the poster was making was that Ronald Reagan went around the media and spoke directly to the American People.

They never claimed or inferred he used the internet to do so.

Reagan would have used Twitter in a New York Minute to accomplish his goal to circumvent an adversarial press.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2017, 03:11:34 pm »

I'm also seeing claims that Thomas Jefferson wanted laws to go after the media. In reality he made it clear over the course of his life that all the regulation of the press could be provided by an informed and discerning public. Unfortunately he ended up disappointed and would likely be even more disappointed today.

The fact is that Trump supporters almost to a man make a point of refusing to acknowledge major lies told by Trump daily or worse yet, repeat or attempt to justify what they know to be lies while they squeal endlessly about a media that has been biased for as long as its existed. That goes beyond a lack of discernment. That's a complete and utter moral collapse.

They've gone full on 'ends justify the means' progressive.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2017, 03:38:22 pm »

IMO, Trump and his people should simply parrot those four famous words from President Reagan:

There you go again.

The battle lines are no different than what Reagan faced...remember Sam Donaldson and the rest of the WH press corps?

Reagan had an unmatched ability to not take it personally. He was so comfortable in his own skin that he didn't need to combat every arrow fired at him. That is simply not Trump's way, so we might as well tighten our seatbelts...nothing but turbulence ahead.

And don't give me any guff about how bad things are after Obama. Give yourself a contemporary history lesson as to the challenges facing Reagan when he took office:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/markets/2013/08/31/presidential-stock-market-scoreboard-reagan-obama/2750227/

When President Reagan took office, the headline unemployment rate was 7.5 percent. Unemployment crept as high as 10.8 percent in December and January of his second year as president, but fell to 5.4 percent by the time he left. This second year — 1982 — was the only year the economy really got worse under his watch. Gross domestic product contracted 1.22 percent as unemployment peaked and inflation remained high at 8.4 percent.

The prime rate when he took office was 20.0%. http://www.fedprimerate.com/wall_street_journal_prime_rate_history.htm

The Cold War was still on, and our military was lacking people, equipment, and money for training and operations. I recall my first two years in Germany, we shut down operations during August & September in '77 & '78, as funds for training were depleted.

Try being an air defense battery's maintenance officer during that period. I "enjoyed" that experience for 6-7 months from late '78 to mid-'79. Classic case of being given the responsibility for a job without any real authority, as the CO I served under was a micromanager. I made my share of mistakes, such as giving my motor sergeant too much latitude. That one's on me, he worked his rear off.

I was in Germany for all but one month of the Carter Administration (I took a month's leave back to the States shortly )after Mount St. Helens erupted). I was lucky in a way. Short range ADA units evaded the force-feeding of women into their units during 1978 (+/-). Sending women to these units before barracks were upgraded was detrimental to unit cohesion and readiness. Female E-1s were able to live off-site upon arrival, thus avoiding the duty that went with higher alert status. To compensate, unmarried male E-5s and E-6s were required to move back into the barracks. I heard plenty of stories from officers assigned to a remote Nike-Hercules battery. I thanked my lucky stars I was in a Chaparral/Vulcan battery.

Yes, I blamed Jimmy Carter for that.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2017, 03:44:25 pm »
Ad hominem, much?    :whistle:

I'm sitting here with the biggest pile of poker chips, because I backed the winner.  ...while you...with all that 'experience' have to write IOUs to keep playing.

That doesn't make sense.  Just because the candidate you backed won the ultimate prize does not make you an expert in the media.  TRG may have used an ad hominum (I'm not sure he did, just saying maybe), but you certainly used a non-sequitur.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2017, 03:52:18 pm »

Like FDR used Television.

Wingnut

« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2017, 04:10:30 pm »

Some of us have worked in the field and hold a .

I got one of them license thingies.  Back in the days when you needed one to be alone at the station without an engineer present.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2017, 04:12:15 pm »
I got one of them license thingies.  Back in the days when you needed one to be alone at the station without an engineer present.

I was the engineer.  Had a First Phone and everything.  FCC converted it to a "General", but I doubt I still have one that's good.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2017, 04:15:15 pm »
Ad hominem, much?    :whistle:

Improperly use Latin words much?

d hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"[1]), short for argumentum ad hominem, is a logical fallacy in which an argument is rebutted by attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself.[2]

I didn't attack your character.  I leave that to you.  I went after the substance of your argument....thin though it may be...that you knew what you were talking about when it comes to the media simply because you jumped on the Orange Jesus express.

Saying you have a brain as small as Trump's hands...THAT would be an ad hominem.

I'm sitting here with the biggest pile of poker chips, because I backed the winner.  ...while you...with all that 'experience' have to write IOUs to keep playing.

Careful...you're dancing on the line of what you were falsely accusing me of.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Wingnut

« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2017, 04:17:05 pm »
I was the engineer.  Had a First Phone and everything.  FCC converted it to a "General", but I doubt I still have one that's good.

You can put a monkey behind a microphone.  But that's another story. 

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2017, 04:17:21 pm »
ROFL!

All that....and $2.12, will get you any size coffee and a ring donut at the local 7-11.

You should hurry before they're all gone.  /s

Me?   A half-century of belly to belly interaction with people in business.

Hmmm....

Quote from: DCPatriot on Today at 08:55:16 AM

Ad hominem, much?   :whistle:

Physician heal thyself.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2017, 04:18:52 pm »

Yup you were the guy who kept all of our Class B licenses in a book just in case the FCC should come around during renewal time.

My first one I applied for in 1989 was free.

When I re-applied in 2005 when I was at AFN it cost me $30.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2017, 04:19:45 pm »
You can put a monkey behind a microphone.  But that's another story.

A Program Director at a station I used to work at called us "Trained Chimps."  At some point I left the station, and went back only with the assurance his ass was fired.  It was.
I will NOT comply.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2017, 04:25:05 pm »
ROFL!

All that....and $2.12, will get you any size coffee and a ring donut at the local 7-11.

You should hurry before they're all gone.  /s

Me?   A half-century of belly to belly interaction with people in business.

Actually it's given me seven promotions(so far)...numerous raises...opportunities to travel the world I otherwise wouldn't have gotten...a pretty sweet retirement package and the ability to provide pretty darn good for my family.

But you go ahead and continue to mock what I do to hide your own insecurities.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2017, 04:25:39 pm »
A Program Director at a station I used to work at called us "Trained Chimps."  At some point I left the station, and went back only with the assurance his ass was fired.  It was.

Deserved to get fired too.  Gotta be nice to the people that keep us on the air. :beer:

Wingnut

« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2017, 04:28:38 pm »
Kind of off topic but Memory not being what it used to be I had to go look up a few things.

I had the third with endorsement 8/1978

The FCC licensing structure through the early 1960s was simple. In general terms, if you wanted to speak on a two-way radio, you needed a Radio Telephone Third Class Operator Permit. A classic example was the police radio dispatcher. He could push a transmit button on his big base station. Because he theoretically was supervising the system, his unlicensed police officers in their patrol cars could push the buttons on their mobile mics and speak back.

The holder of a "Third" couldn't service or install any transmitter equipment. If you wanted to service and install communications-level transmitters or certain safety devices, you had to hold at least a Radio Telephone Operator License Second Class. One had to pass the Third exam before you could attempt the Second.

Broadcast was considered the highest level of importance (oh, how the mighty have fallen) and the most complex; you needed a First to operate and maintain broadcast transmitters. Again, you had to have passed the Third and Second exams to attempt the First.

Prior to 1963, all broadcast stations were to be maintained and operated only by First holders.

From 1963 through 1973, as a sop to owners, FM and 10 kW or less non-directional AM stations were allowed to be operated by a First, a Second or the holder of a hybrid sort of license, a broadcast-endorsed Third.

With that in hand, you could turn the transmitter on and off, take and sign the operating log and adjust power to stay within limits, but you could not maintain the transmitter with a Third.

After 1973, all classes of broadcast stations were allowed to be operated by an "Endorsed Third."

In the 1980s, the commission sailed through a sea change of regulation. A basic premise was that the holder of the station license ultimately was responsible for the proper operation of the station.

On Jan. 5, 1979, the FCC eliminated the Third requirement, as well as the license grade, and allowed holders of Restricted Radiotelephone Permits (just fill out a form and mail it in) to operate broadcast transmitters of nearly all classes and powers.

This requirement ultimately was dropped; now no operating license at all is needed for local or remote controlled stations. Responsibility for proper operation at this time falls completely to the station owner.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2017, 04:29:26 pm »
Deserved to get fired too.  Gotta be nice to the people that keep us on the air. :beer:

Biggest horse's ass I ever worked for.  I left that gig for a TV engineer slot at a PBS station, then scored the career job I was looking for in the semiconductor industry.  Been in R&D  for 25 years this year.  Went back to work weekend fill-ins about two years after I left, knowing it wasn't a permanent gig.
I will NOT comply.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2017, 04:59:04 pm »
That worked so well for Bush.  Remember the daily death toll in Iraq that disappeared the moment the Zero was elected?  Giving the press respect is perilous for anyone that does not belong to the Democratic Party.

There is a difference between acting like an adult...acting Presidential...and acting like a door mat when it comes to the media. 

Sadly W acted like a door mat by not responding to the crap they were putting out...save for the few times that Fleischer and Snow did during press briefings when they'd had enough.

There are ways to put the media in it's place without acting like a petulant child.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2017, 05:15:29 pm »
O/T, but I've never liked the "acting like an adult" vs "acting like a child" arguments.  It's what liberals do when they are trying to get people to do something without any logical explanation:  "Act like a grown up and accept our global warming theory!"  "You're acting childish when you refuse to register your guns!"
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2017, 05:22:59 pm »
There is a difference between acting like an adult...acting Presidential...and acting like a door mat when it comes to the media. 

Sadly W acted like a door mat by not responding to the crap they were putting out...save for the few times that Fleischer and Snow did during press briefings when they'd had enough.

There are ways to put the media in it's place without acting like a petulant child.

The media will give a daily death toll no matter how big a tantrum Trump throws.

The press has been biased since their was an organized press distributing news because its made up of individuals with their own inherent biases. When we got to the Wilson era newspaper editors and owners jumped at the chance to join the Wilson propaganda effort (The Creel Commission or Committee on Public Information)

What we think of as "the press" is nearly 500 years in the making and angry Trump with a club isn't going to have much impact. This is a long term finesse job that requires starting with teaching children to think and become discerning young journalism students who recognize BS from professors.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2017, 05:23:09 pm »
I don't think the issue is that of technical, professional expertise, or credentials.  No doubt these media professionals are good at what they do.  The issue is the ideological bias that drives the way they present the message.  The people that voted for Trump see through all that, agree with Trump that the media has gone completely off the tracks when it comes to actual journalism and ethics. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2017, 05:30:01 pm »

I'm sitting here with the biggest pile of poker chips, because I backed the winner.

And THAT right there ladies and gentlemen, is the only thing that matters to the Trump faithful aside from inflicting punishment and payback.

Reminds me of the folks that really do believe that he who dies with the most toys, wins.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2017, 05:32:00 pm »
I don't think the issue is that of technical, professional expertise, or credentials.  No doubt these media professionals are good at what they do.  The issue is the ideological bias that drives the way they present the message.  The people that voted for Trump see through all that, agree with Trump that the media has gone completely off the tracks when it comes to actual journalism and ethics.

I don't disagree with that either.

The only issue...and it's being handled badly so far...is how he and his people are reacting to the media now that they are in the WH.