Author Topic: Schumer ready to leave Supreme Court seat open  (Read 2532 times)

geronl

Re: Schumer ready to leave Supreme Court seat open
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2017, 06:24:39 pm »
Tough talk, but all Mitch McConnell has to do to get Trump's nominee into the court, is adjourn the Senate.

Because the new GOP is just like the Democrat Party.

Not a nickel's worth of difference.

The GOP is the majority, hold a freaking vote.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2017, 07:06:36 pm »
Schumer Demands “Mainstream” Supreme Court Nominees
Posted on January 22, 2017, 10:49 am by Keith Koffler, White House Dossier

Oh, like Elean Kagan and Sonia Sotomoyor? From the Washington Examiner:

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., said Sunday he will absolutely block President Trump’s pick for the vacant Supreme Court seat if the nominee is not “mainstream” enough.

“If the nominee is not bipartisan and mainstream, we absolutely will keep the seat open,” Schumer told CNN’s Jake Tapper.

The New York Democrat, who was booed during a speech at Trump’s inauguration, had previously criticized his Republican colleagues for blocking former President Obama’s nominee, Merrick Garland, last year.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline bilo

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2017, 07:10:37 pm »
They gave us the nuclear option for everything but scotus   We should return the favor

:amen: and a 1,000x's  :amen:

Now the weak moderate Pubs in the Senate better find a backbone. It's time to end the filibuster. It's not in the constitution. It is a early 1900's creation.

I think the nomination will get announced this week and in a couple months the vote will be done. When the Rats filibuster, kill it!
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2017, 07:15:04 pm »
Because the new GOP is just like the Democrat Party.

Not a nickel's worth of difference.

The GOP is the majority, hold a freaking vote.

:amen:

It's time to cut through all the "inside the beltway nonsense".
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2017, 08:27:53 pm »

Yore wrong. The dems only dropped the supermajority requirement for lower court judges. It's in effect for ussc justices.

Only until the majority leader decides to drop it for USSC justices too.  There's no constitutional impediment to doing so.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2017, 09:28:58 pm »
Only until the majority leader decides to drop it for USSC justices too.  There's no constitutional impediment to doing so.

Find, until the Dems get back in power, which they will do. Then we'll be powerless to stop them appointing judges.

Offline beandog

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2017, 09:38:29 pm »

Find, until the Dems get back in power, which they will do. Then we'll be powerless to stop them appointing judges.
We wouldn't anywy.  We rarely do.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2017, 09:52:58 pm »

What, you think if McConnell didn't go nuclear on USSC appointments the Dems would respect that and also refrain?  Surely you aren't that naive.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2017, 03:52:33 am »
It's time to end the concept of "filibuster" in the Senate, once and for all.

51 votes. Majority wins.

For EVERYTHING that gets voted on there.

I can live with that.

Aside:
If the dems double down and force the issue, I sense that Trump may "go to the people" in order to persuade the [nominally Republican] Senators to do what must be done.
If he wins, it will be one of the biggest presidential victories in a long time.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 04:24:56 pm by Fishrrman »

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2017, 03:57:57 am »
We wouldn't anywy.  We rarely do.

You are so right.  The republicans always play nice and approve the other guy's appointments.  Keep the filibuster or not, but the rules need to be the same for everyone. If Reid took the filibuster away for all other judicial appointments, we should return the favor for SCOTUS,  Face it, the supreme court is the only reason a lot of people held their nose and voted for Trump in the first place.
God is still in control

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2017, 04:02:29 am »
It's time to end the concept of "filibuster" in the Senate, once and for all.

51 votes. Majority wins.

For EVERYTHING that gets voted on there.

I can live with that.

Aside:
If the gems double down and force the issue, I sense that Trump may "go to the people" in order to persuade the [nominally Republican] Senators to do what must be done.
If he wins, it will be one of the biggest presidential victories in a long time.

And the bottom line is, that's why the vast majority of Trump voters did hold their noses and vote for him.  It was ALL about SCOTUS.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2017, 10:56:15 am »
What, you think if McConnell didn't go nuclear on USSC appointments the Dems would respect that and also refrain?  Surely you aren't that naive.

I'm not at all confident the GOP will even keep the Senate in 2018. History isn't kind to the President's own party in off election years.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2017, 12:29:51 pm »
And the bottom line is, that's why the vast majority of Trump voters did hold their noses and vote for him.  It was ALL about SCOTUS.

No, it was all about Mrs. Clinton.  ...and, SCOTUS....

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2017, 12:42:15 pm »
You are so right.  The republicans always play nice and approve the other guy's appointments.  Keep the filibuster or not, but the rules need to be the same for everyone. If Reid took the filibuster away for all other judicial appointments, we should return the favor for SCOTUS,  Face it, the supreme court is the only reason a lot of people held their nose and voted for Trump in the first place.

Be very careful, @Mom MD ....calling for "payback" in here.

We've got members in good standing who demand we go back to being nice and accommodating ....so we can say "...we're the adults in the room".   

Don't let them shout you down!    They use that tired argument that only somebody who served in the military would make the best law enforcement officers...that if you didn't 'serve', you lose the moral high-ground in any debate.   

The condescension if thick 'round here.    :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald