Author Topic: Are U.S. Aircraft Carriers Nearly Unsinkable?  (Read 794 times)

rangerrebew

Are U.S. Aircraft Carriers Nearly Unsinkable?
« on: January 22, 2017, 09:59:12 am »

Are U.S. Aircraft Carriers Nearly Unsinkable?
[1]
Main Image

5 reasons that make the case.
Loren B. Thompson [2]

The bottom line on aircraft carrier survivability is that only a handful of countries can credibly pose a threat to America's most valuable warships, and short of using nuclear weapons none of those is likely to sink one.

Large-deck, nuclear-powered aircraft carriers are the signature expression of American military power. No other combat system available to U.S. warfighters comes close to delivering so much offensive punch for months at a time without requiring land bases near the action. As a result, the ten carriers in the current fleet are in continuous demand from regional commanders -- so much so that extended overseas combat tours are becoming the norm.

Nobody really doubts the utility of large-deck carriers. There's nothing else like them, and the United States is the only nation that operates a fleet big enough to keep three or more carriers continuously deployed at all times. However, two issues have come up over and over again since the Cold War ended that have led at least some observers to question why carriers are the centerpiece of America's naval fleet.  One concern is that they cost too much. The other is that they are vulnerable to attack.

Source URL (retrieved on January 22, 2017): http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/are-us-aircraft-carriers-nearly-unsinkable-19144

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Are U.S. Aircraft Carriers Nearly Unsinkable?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 10:15:09 am »
I really hate seeing claims that tempt terrorist and ambitious icebergs
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 03:01:54 am »
"Are U.S. Aircraft Carriers Nearly Unsinkable?"

If there's ever again a real war, I believe we'll learn the answer to that question very quickly...

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 03:06:10 am »