Author Topic: How social media is crippling democracy, and why we seem powerless to stop it  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
   So, how is everyone's anxiety doing? Are our coping mechanisms firing on all cylinders? Are we being mindful and living in the present moment? Great. Because we're all going to need to be experts on it, for at least the next four years or even longer.

A few years ago, I wrote about a phenomenon I called "Technology Augmented Autism." I argued that our over-reliance on social media tools such as Facebook and Twitter has amplified the existing personality characteristics of persons who already reside on the autism spectrum, including ADD/ADHD and other socially developmental related issues, such as Asperger's.

If only the most unscrupulous outlets -- those willing to conform to the will of a corrupt presidency -- are the ones granted access...then we need to reconsider the actual value of social media.

Because so many of us that "are on the spectrum" work in technology, and so many of us use these tools for business and not just for recreational purposes, we all have to work extra hard to hone our "soft" skills, as all of these tools are not particularly helpful in developing our interpersonal relationships and how we interact with people in the real world....

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-weaponized-social-media-is-crippling-democracy-and-why-were-helpless-to-stop-it/?loc=newsletter_large_thumb_featured&ftag=TRE17cfd61&bhid=93223229
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 05:16:13 am by Sanguine »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The map needs a right adjustment as it itself skews left.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
The map needs a right adjustment as it itself skews left.

Yes, but did you read past the first 200 words?

Offline montanajoe

That map looks like a coon dog wearing a beanie :shrug:

Offline montanajoe

Yes, but did you read past the first 200 words?

Nope..geez who does that :shrug:

Offline DB

That's funny. NPR and the BBC are dead center - in a leftest universe...

Oceander

The chart is ridiculous.  Anyone who thinks of the New York Times as mainstream and showing minimal partisan bias is brain dead, period.

Offline Puss-N-Boots

• God. Family. Seahawks!
That's funny. NPR and the BBC are dead center - in a leftest universe...
That's where it lost me. 
The Constitution is not a suggestion.