Author Topic: I'm a feminist against abortion. Why exclude me from a march for women?  (Read 1299 times)

Offline musiclady

I'm a feminist against abortion. Why exclude me from a march for women?

Erika Bachiochi

(CNN) — I did not vote for President-Elect Donald Trump and continue to question his fitness to serve. Thus I am unsurprised that hundreds of thousands of women would want to protest his election this coming Saturday, the day after the inauguration. I am surprised, however, that the leaders of the Women's March on Washington—and most feminists today—are so unwilling to listen to an alternative feminist perspective, one with deep roots in feminist history and a good deal to offer to women today.

As a pro-choice activist who helped lead my college's Women's Center in the 1990s, and now, decades later, as a pro-life feminist, I too have looked forward to the day when a strong and accomplished woman would lead our nation. But however strong and accomplished, Secretary Clinton was not the woman for me. To me she represents all the contradictions of abortion rights feminism, contradictions also conspicuous in the guiding principles of the Women's March. In my view, an authentic women's movement—one that properly extols human dignity, care, and non-violence—must be unabashedly pro-life.

With both Trump's inauguration and the 44th anniversary of Roe v Wade decision fast approaching, I have been concerned that Donald Trump the man—as president of the United States—would actually strengthen in the American imagination the popular feminist fallacy that abortion is necessary to women's equality. After all, Donald Trump as "pro-life candidate" fit perfectly the pro-choice caricature of an abortion opponent: degrading to and disrespectful of women. If I could say just one thing to those at the Women's March, it would be this: the constitutional right to abortion has only made men like Trump worse.

*snip*

The ascendancy of abortion rights feminism over the last fifty years has failed to remedy the sort of objectification of women on particular display by our president-elect in the unearthed Access Hollywood video and beyond. As pro-life feminists have long argued, the undisciplined testosterone-driven male libido, interested in no-strings-attached sex, benefits most from an abortion-permissive culture. And when male sexuality goes undisciplined, bereft of the deep emotional bonds once demanded by self-respecting women, sex is sought for pleasure alone. For the most callous of men, women become mere pleasure-providers, the objects of the male libido's aggressive demands.

Indeed, worry over the tendencies of dissolute men was a key reason women's suffragists of the late 19th century did not see abortion as the panacea their successors have. Unlike today's abortion-rights-feminists, the suffragists feared that sex unmoored from its procreative potential would increase male sexual immorality and infidelity. The suffragists were seeking just the reverse: "Votes for women, chastity for men" was actually a suffragist slogan.

More follows

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/17/opinions/prolife-and-feminist-under-trump-bachiochi-opinion/index.html

Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

Re: I'm a feminist against abortion. Why exclude me from a march for women?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 06:06:40 pm »
The leftist pseudo-feminist movement is, as always, narrow minded and politically driven.

If they were interested in the respect and dignity of women, they would allow pro-life women into their women's march.

They might be surprised at how many more women might show up.....

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 06:09:52 pm »
Come on, Erika, what did you expect?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 07:05:59 pm »
Come on, Erika, what did you expect?

Leftists are incredibly stupid.

Had they opened this march up for pro-life women who find Trump's degradation of women repulsive, they would have had a much more sizable group.

As it stands, they will probably silence the pro-life women who are there and miss an important message.

But they are leftists, so they will probably try to silence any pro-life voices who oppose Trump who are there.

@dfwgator

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 07:09:45 pm »
I'm a feminist against abortion. Why exclude me from a march for women?

Because that's what cultural Marxists do!  It''s their only weapon!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 07:12:56 pm »

Absolutely. 

There is no free speech, or thought among cultural Marxists.

It's stupid.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 02:18:32 am »
One of the holy sacraments of leftist feminism is abortion, especially abortion on demand. Many liberal woman deny that is either the most important issue for them by far or the ONLY!!! issue they really care about. But how they vote and what they shout about betrays their denial. Why they care so much about that issue is another matter. Many of them are man-hating lesbians who would not come close to a male. 
Radical feminists have created an image of what a modern woman should be that is not attainable by most women. Most women, like most men, aren't wealthy and can't afford to spend their lives trying to be "creative" or striving for material goals as a substitute for a family. Many of them, radical feminists, are going to end up lonely, bitter people missing out on the joys of being part of a family.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 02:23:03 am »
One of the holy sacraments of leftist feminism is abortion, especially abortion on demand. Many liberal woman deny that is either the most important issue for them by far or the ONLY!!! issue they really care about. But how they vote and what they shout about betrays their denial. Why they care so much about that issue is another matter. Many of them are man-hating lesbians who would not come close to a male. 
Radical feminists have created an image of what a modern woman should be that is not attainable by most women. Most women, like most men, aren't wealthy and can't afford to spend their lives trying to be "creative" or striving for material goals as a substitute for a family. Many of them, radical feminists, are going to end up lonely, bitter people missing out on the joys of being part of a family.

Quite a few have already arrived there sad to say!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 02:25:06 am »
Interesting that to be a feminist you have to be for the murder of unborn females   Glad I never was a feminist.  I love being a woman a mother and the daughter of my Heavenly Father   It doesn't get any better than that
God is still in control

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 02:36:23 am »
Interesting that to be a feminist you have to be for the murder of unborn females   Glad I never was a feminist.  I love being a woman a mother and the daughter of my Heavenly Father   It doesn't get any better than that

:amen:  888high58888

- J. R. R. Tolkien