Author Topic: "A most dreadful inaugural address"  (Read 4855 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
"A most dreadful inaugural address"
« on: January 21, 2017, 04:45:41 pm »
By George F. Will
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2017/01/20/a-most-dreadful-inaugural-address/?tid=pm_pop&utm_term=.8b1117b73122

Twenty minutes into his presidency, Donald Trump, who is always claiming to have made, or to be about to make,
astonishing history, had done so. Living down to expectations, he had delivered the most dreadful inaugural address in
history.

Kellyanne Conway, Trump’s White House counselor, had promised that the speech would be “elegant.” This is not the
adjective that came to mind as he described “American carnage.” That was a phrase the likes of which has never hitherto
been spoken at an inauguration.

Oblivious to the moment and the setting, the always remarkable Trump proved that something dystopian can be strangely
exhilarating: In what should have been a civic liturgy serving national unity and confidence, he vindicated his severest
critics by serving up reheated campaign rhetoric about “rusted out factories scattered like tombstones across the landscape”
and an education system producing students “deprived of all knowledge.” Yes, all.

But cheer up, because the carnage will vanish if we “follow two simple rules: Buy American and hire American.” “Simple”
is the right word.

Because in 1981 the inauguration ceremony for a cheerful man from the American West was moved from the Capitol’s
East Portico to its West Front, Trump stood facing west, down the Mall with its stately monuments celebrating some of
those who made America great — Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln. Looking out toward where the fields of the republic
roll on, Trump, a Gatsby-for-our-time, said: “What truly matters is not which party controls our government but whether
our government is controlled by the people.” Well.

“A dependence on the people,” James Madison wrote, “is, no doubt, the primary control on the government; but experience
has taught mankind the necessity of auxiliary precautions.” He meant the checks and balances of our constitutional
architecture. They are necessary because, as Madison anticipated and as the nation was reminded on Friday, “Enlightened
statesmen will not always be at the helm.”

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

geronl

Re: "A most dreadful inaugural address"
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 04:50:29 pm »
George is right. Trump won't stop being Trump

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 05:11:02 pm »
George is right. Trump won't stop being Trump

When I read the transcript of the speech, I noted that only once did he use a word pertaining to
freedom and/or liberty. And not once did he suggest anything about even arresting, never mind
beginning any substantial roll back, the metastasis of big government.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 05:17:02 pm »
Sounds like George realizes he and his ilk are in the crosshairs.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 05:30:15 pm »
It was dreadful in the same way Obama's inaugural Castro-esque speeches were dreadful: no mention of individual liberty and Constitutional limits on government.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 05:49:29 pm »

Washington Post, favored source for once fairly good Republican Conservative Political Forum.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online dfwgator

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 05:54:02 pm »
I suspect George wrote this column before Trump even gave the speech.

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 05:57:21 pm »
It was dreadful in the same way Obama's inaugural Castro-esque speeches were dreadful: no mention of individual liberty and Constitutional limits on government. 

President Trump may not have used the words from your textbook @INVAR , but he spoke of individual liberty and constitutional limits on government a few times.  He spoke of this not as a preacher or an "I know better than you pseudo-intellectual", but in a way that reaches the American heart; and this is something conservatives would do well to learn and understand.

From the President's speech:

Today's ceremony, however, has very special meaning. Because today we are not merely transferring power from one administration to another, or from one party to another -- but we are transferring power from Washington, D.C. and giving it back to you, the American People.

That all changes -- starting right here, and right now, because this moment is your moment: it belongs to you.

It belongs to everyone gathered here today and everyone watching all across America. This is your day. This is your celebration. And this, the United States of America, is your country.

What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 05:58:33 pm »

Then he's a prophet.  If you read the speech, it sounds ominous: nationalistic, and not in a good way.  The primary hope now is that he didn't mean it.

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 06:02:26 pm »
If you read the speech, it sounds ominous: nationalistic, and not in a good way. 

I've heard these exact words non-stop on CNN and MSNBC.  And like you, they do not explain why or how.

Care to take a shot at it @r9etb ?

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 06:34:49 pm »

It wasn't exactly a full, proper column---it went on the Washington Post's "Post Partisan" blog
at 3:20 p.m. my time Friday, meaning 6:20 p.m. Eastern time.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 06:50:24 pm »
Peggy Noonan's take on the speech:  http://www.wsj.com/articles/president-trump-declares-independence-1484956174

It was a populist speech that played to HIS audience -- the crowd outside.  While there were a few cringe-worthy moments referencing big-government policies to come, the rest of the speech made me appreciate that President Trump chose to play to those that voted for him as opposed to assuaging Republican and Democratic nerves.

His speech WAS populist - and a little heavy on the FDR.

Comments that some characterize as isolationist actually has far more in common with what our founders intended as an appropriate foreign policy than does what the post WWII interventionists advocate.

But some of it was totally aligned with what conservatives claim to want - military strength, secure borders, and lip service (at least) transferring power from government to people and a focus on what unites rather than divides us.

If he follows through on this part perhaps this country will have bought a little time.

To those hand wringers who didn't like the speech maybe it would help to try to imagine what Hillary's would have been like.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 06:54:34 pm by skeeter »

Online dfwgator

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 06:52:44 pm »
His speech WAS populist - and a little heavy on the FDR.

But some of it was totally aligned with what conservatives claim to want - military strength, secure borders, and lip service (at least) transferring power from government to people and a focus on what unites rather than divides us.

If he follows through on this part perhaps this country will have bought a little time.

To those hand wringers who didn't like the speech maybe it would help to try to imagine what Hillary's would have been like.

Trump will certainly be more conservative than the Bushes.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 06:56:07 pm »

You've always been a good guy here, but I have to refer to his past 20 years of stated position, donations, and affiliations to disagree.

I trust him ZERO.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 06:56:16 pm »

Completely agree. In fact W may have been doing a little cringing himself yesterday.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2017, 07:01:33 pm »
You've always been a good guy here, but I have to refer to his past 20 years of stated position, donations, and affiliations to disagree.

I trust him ZERO.

Given his history you are absolutely right to distrust him.

I'm inclined to believe that Trump, a political agnostic, naturally gravitated to populism for obvious reasons but his political philosophy may be evolving, for whatever cause, in real time.

Maybe its the people he's surrounded himself with.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic but I'm just taking one day at a time.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2017, 07:02:48 pm »

Good grief, a blowfish would be more conservative than them!

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2017, 07:04:58 pm »

You don't need any imagination to know what it would have been like.

Let's face it, our electoral choice was between Robespierre and Queen Athaliah.

We'd have been better off with a choice between the firing squad and the lethal injection.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2017, 07:22:56 pm »

We'd have been better off with a choice between the firing squad and the lethal injection.

So which one is Trump?

Firing squad, or lethal injection?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Wingnut

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2017, 07:26:32 pm »
So which one is Trump?

Paper cuts.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2017, 07:33:05 pm »
To me I heard "I'm from the government and I'm here to help". Not sure how anyone could have heard anything else.

He just dressed up in the stars and stripes hoping we wouldn't notice.

If Trump enacts tariffs, american workers will pay those tariffs and we will all get poorer, not to mention countries will enact tariffs on our exports.

Trump pretends like we haven;t all been through this before.

Hope I'm wrong.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2017, 07:39:13 pm »
I've heard these exact words non-stop on CNN and MSNBC.  And like you, they do not explain why or how.

Care to take a shot at it r9etb?

I can't put my finger on it, actually: as I said on a different thread, the tone just makes me really uneasy.  Read the speech for yourself, without your blinders.  At the very least, he's promising a trade war, which things never end well.  If you take it at face value, it sounds like something ... well, like something a Putin or a Juan Peron might have said.  The best that can be said is that hopefully he didn't mean what he said.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2017, 07:46:18 pm »
So which one is Trump?

Sometimes I think firing squad, sometimes I think lethal injection.

Come to think of it, that's what I thought about Hilarious Rodent Clinton, too: sometimes firing squad, sometimes
lethal injection.

Maybe I should have compared them to the guillotine vs. the electric chair?

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2017, 08:47:42 pm »
I can't put my finger on it, actually: as I said on a different thread, the tone just makes me really uneasy.  Read the speech for yourself, without your blinders.

I did hear the speech---twice and read it twice.  Each time I listened and read, I liked the speech more.  The tone is certainly different than other recent inaugural addresses.  The President did not sugarcoat the reality of where we are nationally and internationally.  He ripped away the blinders worn by the oligarchy.  I suspect they're still hurting and heads are spinning.  Remember this when listening to the entrenched media and talking heads.

At the very least, he's promising a trade war, which things never end well.

We're already in a trade war @r9etb and we are losing.  The simplest and surest way to end any war is to win it quickly and decisively.  That victory is the President's goal.

If you take it at face value, it sounds like something ... well, like something a Putin or a Juan Peron might have said
Seriously?  You envision Putin or Juan Peron saying this:

"Today's ceremony, however, has very special meaning. Because today we are not merely transferring power from one administration to another, or from one party to another -- but we are transferring power from Washington, D.C. and giving it back to you, the American People."

The best that can be said is that hopefully he didn't mean what he said.

President Trump spoke of a government of, by, and for the people.  He spoke of reigniting and channeling the talent and spirit of the American people--joining together to make America safe again, wealthy again, strong again and greater than ever before.

I pray he meant every word.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2017, 11:13:08 pm »
I did hear the speech---twice and read it twice.  Each time I listened and read, I liked the speech more.  The tone is certainly different than other recent inaugural addresses.  The President did not sugarcoat the reality of where we are nationally and internationally.  He ripped away the blinders worn by the oligarchy.  I suspect they're still hurting and heads are spinning.  Remember this when listening to the entrenched media and talking heads.

As I was saying about blinders....  You heard what you wanted to hear -- not surprising, as he was playing to you.

We're already in a trade war @r9etb and we are losing.  The simplest and surest way to end any war is to win it quickly and decisively.  That victory is the President's goal.

Indeed.  Unfortunately, in this day and age, the type of protectionism he seems to be recommending has never turned out well.  All it does is  invite tit-for-tat responses that help no one, least of all the people he says he's trying to help.

Note what Trump did not say.  He did not say anything about making it easier for American companies to employ Americans or to manufacture things here.  His only prescription seems to be government action against other countries.  Are you sure that's the sort of war you want to get into?

Seriously?  You envision Putin or Juan Peron saying this:

"Today's ceremony, however, has very special meaning. Because today we are not merely transferring power from one administration to another, or from one party to another -- but we are transferring power from Washington, D.C. and giving it back to you, the American People."

Well, I can imagine somebody like Robespierre saying something like that.  It's a great line, and if I trusted Trump to act in a way that was true to Lincoln's idea of a government "of, by, and for the people," then great.

The problem is that Trump didn't stop there; the whole "America First" theme of his speech sounded to me like a lot of Strongman talk, which is why I pointed to the likes of Putin and Peron.  He quite frankly spoke of a policy of  isolationism and protectionism, and in that context the whole "America First" thing sounded an awful lot like Messrs. Charles Lindbergh or Patrick J. Buchanan, with all of the unpleasant implications of the phrase.

President Trump spoke of a government of, by, and for the people.  He spoke of reigniting and channeling the talent and spirit of the American people--joining together to make America safe again, wealthy again, strong again and greater than ever before.

Actually, he did not say "of, by, and for the people" at all.  It does not appear in his speech.

What he did say, was this:  "At the center of this movement is a crucial conviction, that a nation exists to serve its citizens."  That's rather different from the ideal expressed by the Declaration of Independence, is that government exists to secure "certain unalienable rights."  In essence he's saying: if there's something that needs to be done, the government is here to help you do it.  And he even proposed a great big, taxpayer-funded (by debt) public works program to prove it.

I pray he meant every word.

Indeed.  Let's hope you don't get what you pray for.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 11:13:57 pm by r9etb »