Author Topic: Garrison Keillor Is On A Quest To Leave The Religion He Never Found  (Read 1495 times)

Offline mountaineer

Garrison Keillor Is On A Quest To Leave The Religion He Never Found
By Hans Fiene
January 20, 2017
“I’m looking for a new religion.” Thus saith Garrison Keillor, America’s most beloved Lutheran humorist, a rather odd title for a man who is neither Lutheran nor humorous. (If you disagree with the latter, watch
this clip and remember that season five of “The Simpsons” declaring you unfunny is the comedic equivalent of the pope saying you’re not Catholic.)

So what has set Keillor on his mission to find a new house of worship? Donald Trump, naturally. “Too many of my fellow Christians voted for selfishness and for degradation of the beautiful world God created,” Keillor writes. “I guess they figured that by the time the planet was a smoky wasteland, they’d be nice and comfy in heaven, so wotthehell. Anyhow, I’m looking around for other options.”

I find it strange that Keillor feels the need to move on. After all, liberal protestants like Keillor don’t really see the Trump-voting, booger-eating Bible thumpers as their spiritual kin. The only time they claim a common faith with them is five seconds before castigating their “fellow Christians” for the sin of violating one of the commandments enshrined in the Democratic Party platform.  ...

Perhaps Keillor feels empty because he never saw the true faith radiating beneath the idiosyncrasies and mundanities of Midwestern Christendom. Perhaps he wants to move on from the church of the apostles because, after spending decades recycling the same jokes, he convinced himself that those Minnesota Lutherans had nothing to offer the world but an unwavering devotion to Jell-O salad. ...

Hans Fiene is a Lutheran pastor in Illinois and the creator of Lutheran Satire, a series of comical videos intended to teach the Lutheran faith.
Entire piece at The Federalist
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

geronl

Re: Garrison Keillor Is On A Quest To Leave The Religion He Never Found
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 04:49:05 pm »
So this article is only posted because he criticized THE ONE.

lol.

The cult marches on. lock-step.

Heil Trump! Heil Trump!

Offline JustPassinThru

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 05:05:33 pm »

lol.

Heil Trump! Heil Trump!

Ya know...this gets tiresome.  The Left is in some sort of virtue-signalling prolonged meltdown and attack of vapors...how DARE such a rock-ribbed conservative as DONALD TRUMP, who gave millions to Democrat pols, who voted for them, who stumped for them, who four years ago considered running for President...as a Dem...

...how DARE he have the audacity not to concede the election, ten minutes after the polls open.

Then the Shrub-RINO Mush-Moderates, who have the SAME hatred out there...who are racing Hollywood slebs to the Travel Agents of America, to get one-way tickets to Toronto.  This, even though he's reaching out to them...almost as with a tic. Reach out; bring more Inside-Outsiders, IN...

Balance that against the mindless Trump cheer girls...many of them male.  Doing their backflips and pyramids; shaking their gluteals; screaming ever louder.  Based on, what?  Uh, duh...NATIONALISM-POPULISM-AGRARIANISM-TARIFFISM-PROTECTIONISM!!  What's that MEAN?  Uh...YAY...TRUMP!!  YAY...TRUMP!!

Lost in any of this purported discussion, is any consideration of conservative, free-market ideals - or practical approaches to the problems of the hour.  I don't know where we go from here...discussing the gowns of the women at the Inaugural Ball doesn't really tell us much, or take us anywhere.

ALL sides seem to have taken a double-helping of stupid.  And "Garrison" ought to have his own brand of Breakfast Stupid.

geronl

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 05:12:12 pm »
Ya know...this gets tiresome.

Tell me about it. It is tiring to see article after article being posted that is nothing but Trump fluffing.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 05:22:50 pm »

Lost in any of this purported discussion, is any consideration of conservative, free-market ideals - or practical approaches to the problems of the hour.  I don't know where we go from here…

We go full bore into ISM.  Whichever one of these Collectivist/Monarchy memes get the most momentum among the emoting populace.

ALL sides seem to have taken a double-helping of stupid. 

Yup.  They have no need of the foundations that established liberty, and they are grown wholly ignorant of our history and heritage - or flat out don't care about it anymore except the now.

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge; because you have rejected knowledge, I reject you from being a priest to me. And since you have forgotten the law of your God, I also will forget your children. The more they multiplied, the more they sinned against Me; they exchanged their glorious God for something disgraceful. They feed on the sins of my people and relish their wickedness. - Hosea 4:6-8
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 06:26:34 pm »

lol.

Heil Trump! Heil Trump!
I'm the one who posted it, and that wasn't my reason for doing so. If you keep jumping to conclusions, you're bound to sprain something.

Sorry, geronl, but I've never "Trump fluffed," not at this forum, not anywhere. He was not my choice for Republican nominee, as I stated repeatedly.

Try reading the entire article sometime.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 06:28:13 pm by mountaineer »

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 05:02:50 am »
Garrulous Squealer is actually quite a nasty person. I remember reading an interview of him in a Twin Cities paper a few decades ago. The interviewer asked Keillor what he thought about the national elections rapidly approaching (1992?) Keillor then went into this long rant where he savaged all Republicans as being evil slime.
Up to that point I had never read anything about Keillor's politics and assumed he was probably just another naive, Minnesota liberal who told a few funny stories. Lake Woebegone and all that.
But the venom he spewed during the interview gave me an insight into a very twisted person who harbored nasty thoughts about the subjects of many of his books and monologues.
How could Keillor not know that many of the people who read his books and listened to his radio program were conservative Republicans who identified with a number of Keillor's small town, Lake Woebegone residents?  Nevertheless, that interview turned me off Keillor....and I was still a nominal Democrat at the time. But the bitter verbiage directed at people who probably grew up as Keillor's neighbors in Anoka, Minnesota made me see what a colossal fraud he was..
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 05:05:00 am by goatprairie »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 05:11:33 am »
I didn't know this guy was still alive. How unfortunate.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 06:19:19 pm »
Alive, but retired.

He handed the show over to some guy who basically gutted it and turned it into a coffee house hour.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Wingnut

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 06:22:54 pm »
Never really cared much for his show. Heard it on occasion cuz He seemed to be on  my local PBS station before or after "Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers show".

« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 06:23:19 pm by Wingnut »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 06:31:06 pm »
While I am deeply disappointed in my fellow Evangelicals who threw away their standards to worship Trump, the idea of leaving Christianity because of people is the weakest of excuses and totally illogical and lacking in a rational thought process.

Christianity is about Jesus Christ, and devotion to Him, and adherence to His laws (which, not incidentally do NOT include radical leftist environmentalism).   Christians will always disappoint, but Jesus Christ never does.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 06:42:36 pm »
Never really cared much for his show. Heard it on occasion cuz He seemed to be on  my local PBS station before or after "Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers show".

He had some funny lines, but he always came off (to me, anyway) as condescending and "above it all".

Wingnut

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 06:46:28 pm »
He had some funny lines, but he always came off (to me, anyway) as condescending and "above it all".

If I was waiting for Car Talk to start and he did a Guy Noir segment... I confess.... I would listen.

Offline JustPassinThru

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 06:52:51 pm »
Typical liberal.

They're liberal because they're SMARTER.  Why are they smarter?  Why, because they're LIBERAL.

It's that kind of superior, self-validating viewpoint, that has made liberalism grow so among the Low-Information and dubious-competency segments of society...educated fools and people richer than their brains would suggest.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 12:27:31 pm »
Who???
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 12:39:03 pm »
Who???
Look up "smug" in the dictionary; you'll find him.