Author Topic: George Will dumps on Trump’s inaugural speech, calls his speech 'Dreadful'  (Read 7247 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: AMERICAN THINKER

URL: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2017/01/george_will_dumps_on_trumps_inaugural_speech.html

By James Longstreet

I know that you will brand me as a sub-intellect for disagreeing with you.  It is your way.

I held you in high regard.  Was I an intellect then?  You began your usually brilliant articles with snippets of history or historical quotes that immediately grounded your coming thoughts.  Insightful and delightful.  I enjoyed your affinity for baseball and relished your book Men at Work, one of the great baseball books ever written.

But something went off the rails with you, George.  Your flare-up with Bill O’Reily was really, for me, neither here nor there.  Two egotists crossing swords is light comedy, really.  But it was a watershed of sorts.  You haven’t been the same.  The flare-up was either coincidence or causal, but certainly a milestone.

Why would you find fault with Trump’s inaugural speech?  You reach for distant branches that substantiate your points, but as you do, you fall from the tree of logic.

You join company with the likes of Chris Matthews, who finds racism in the “America First” attitude of Trump.  Do you even notice, George, the company you now keep?

You note these passages of Trump’s inaugural:

Trump proved that something dystopian can be strangely exhilarating[.]

Something wrong can be corrected.  To notice a condition that is detrimental to the country is not to relish a “dystopian exhilaration.”  To recognize deterioration in our industrial capacity is not to enjoy or exhilarate in the condition, but it is to identify and attempt to rectify the malady.

You then said this:

He vindicated his severest critics by serving up reheated campaign rhetoric about “rusted out factories scattered like tombstones across the landscape” and an education system producing students “deprived of all knowledge.

George, get out of Washington, D.C.  Industrial parks across America are empty.  They do rust.  We import H-1B visa holders because it is admitted that the pool of those capable of certain jobs cannot be filled by Americans.  What does that reveal of the education system?

Here is a historical quote for you, Mr. Will, regarding the devastating impact of an overbearing and regulatory burdening government.  It is from 1842 (https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/90454-de-la-d-mocratie-en-am-rique).

After having thus successively taken each member of the community in its powerful grasp and fashioned him at will, the supreme power then extends its arm over the whole community. It covers the surface of society with a network of small complicated rules, minute and uniform, through which the most original minds and the most energetic characters cannot penetrate, to rise above the crowd. The will of man is not shattered, but softened, bent, and guided; men are seldom forced by it to act, but they are constantly restrained from acting. Such a power does not destroy, but it prevents existence; it does not tyrannize, but it compresses, enervates, extinguishes, and stupefies a people, till each nation is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid and industrious animals, of which the government is the shepherd.

This is the Trump message.  There is no dystopian exhilaration other than the want to repair the condition.  The exhilaration lies in identifying the condition and the want to rectify the situation.  Whose side are you on, George?  It seems you are doubling down, and you don’t even have a pair.

As Trump said, a country placing the interest of itself before the interest of others is fair game.  Who could argue, other than you?

Offline endicom

It seems you are doubling down, and you don’t even have a pair.

Intentional?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
George Will is having a hard time coming to grips with reality.

And He is NOT alone!  The inside the beltway crowd is buying by the gallon!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

geronl

did you post Will's article?

I'd go with George Will over these fake news sites cultish support of Crump any day

geronl

Trump Cult cannot stand any criticism at all. It is simply amazing how they outdo the Obama-nuts in the thinning of the skin.

Offline beandog

Will is an arrogant, elitist putz.  He always has been and he always will be. 

geronl

and Trump is too

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

888high58888 888high58888

And I refuse to read his drivel!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

You took the words right off my keyboard!   888high58888

Offline skeeter

Of course statists and their hangers-on see nothing wrong with the current condition of the nation - their place in it is assured and only getting stronger.

But there is no doubt that schools are producing more ignorant students relative to their predecessors, that wages have been stagnant for decades, that more and more citizens depend upon the government for sustenance, that the country is becoming a balkanized collection of tribes.

Its all by design to benefit the few that pull the strings. The same folks that see nothing wrong with the country the way its evolved.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 05:03:59 pm by skeeter »

geronl

George Will's deviationism shall not be tolerated, how dare he have his own opinion! To the camps!

Offline beandog

and Trump is too
Trump didn't write a column calling Will names.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
George Will's deviationism shall not be tolerated, how dare he have his own opinion! To the camps!

No one is threatening his ability to write anything he wants but he is not entitled to an audience!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline beandog

Will can have any opinion he wants and we can have any opinion of Will we want.  He is not untouchable.  The only one saying  "To the Camps" is **nononono* you.

Offline Night Hides Not

Trump doesn't have to, his bully tweeter is limited to 140 characters.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
George Will, Chris Matthews and #nevertrumps

Three peas from the same pod, here on their tiny podium

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline dfwgator

Stick to writing about Baseball, George.

Offline bilo

I'm a neverTrumper because I think he lacks personal character. On policy, based on Cabinet picks, I've been more happy than not.

The speech yesterday was terrific for a couple reasons. It's so refreshing to see an elected official, especially POTUS, double down on his campaign promises that got him elected in the first place. The norm is once elected politicians become vague and stress compromise. Another aspect of the speech that caught my attention were the references to GOD. I never thought I'd see a secular elected official allow faith, especially Christian, back into the public square. Also, it was great to see the POTUS strongly announce his priority is to represent the USA's interests first.

All in all I thought it was a very good speech. I think some people are so locked in to criticizing Trump they can't acknowledge any good things he's proposing, or doing. I'm sure part of this is because Trump's supporters have so little class and I think the other part is because Trump himself had so little class in the primaries. He's all we've got right now so lets hope he builds on what I think has been a good start.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline dfwgator

I'm a neverTrumper because I think he lacks personal character. On policy, based on Cabinet picks, I've been more happy than not.

The speech yesterday was terrific for a couple reasons. It's so refreshing to see an elected official, especially POTUS, double down on his campaign promises that got him elected in the first place. The norm is once elected politicians become vague and stress compromise. Another aspect of the speech that caught my attention were the references to GOD. I never thought I'd see a secular elected official allow faith, especially Christian, back into the public square. Also, it was great to see the POTUS strongly announce his priority is to represent the USA's interests first.

All in all I thought it was a very good speech. I think some people are so locked in to criticizing Trump they can't acknowledge any good things he's proposing, or doing. I'm sure part of this is because Trump's supporters have so little class and I think the other part is because Trump himself had so little class in the primaries. He's all we've got right now so lets hope he builds on what I think has been a good start.

Nobody says you have to like the guy personally.   All I care about is results.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

I am also one who did not vote for Trump but realizes that he IS now our president!

I liked the elements of the speech that put official Washington on notice that the game is now over. I did not like the protectionist parts at all.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

He was exactly the same snobbish, egotistical girly-man back in the 80's.

IMO...he overcompensated after he became a persona-non grata during the Reagan years...for calling GHWB, his "lap dog". 

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Night Hides Not

It's a valid conundrum we're dealing with: if we come out and praise Trump for doing something good, there's the expectation that a Trumpster will chime in with an:

I'll deal with that by putting those posters on ignore, and return to The Vineyard. Have much work to do over there.

Feel free to stop by and offer suggestions.   888high58888
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Nobody says you have to like the guy personally.   All I care about is results.

He is spouting off potential  Rooseveltean $Trillion dollar agendas for infrastructure. 

This clown wants to be a blend of Jackson and FDR.  Just wait until he tells you the US taxpayer has to fund this.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I heard America first rah rah rah.

Economic ignorance.

If Trump follows through it will create a trade war. Bad things will happen.

I hope he doesn't follow through.

Offline r9etb

True.  Trump uses Twitter for that.