Author Topic: Trump! How did this happen?  (Read 2254 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Trump! How did this happen?
« on: January 21, 2017, 07:06:08 am »
Trump! How did this happen?
Brendan O'Neill

It happened because you banned super-size sodas. And smoking in parks. And offensive ideas on campus. Because you branded people who oppose gay marriage ‘homophobic’, and people unsure about immigration ‘racist’.

Because you treated owning a gun and never having eaten quinoa as signifiers of fascism. Because you thought correcting people’s attitudes was more important than finding them jobs. Because you turned ‘white man’ from a description into an insult. Because you used slurs like ‘denier’ and ‘dangerous’ against anyone who doesn’t share your eco-pieties.

Because you treated dissent as hate speech and criticism of Obama as extremism. Because you talked more about gender-neutral toilets than about home repossessions. Because you beatified Caitlyn Jenner. Because you policed people’s language, rubbished their parenting skills, took the piss out of their beliefs.

Because you cried when someone mocked the Koran but laughed when they mocked the Bible. Because you said criticising Islam is Islamophobia. Because you kept telling people, ‘You can’t think that, you can’t say that, you can’t do that.’

Because you turned politics from something done by and for people to something done to them, for their own good. Because you treated people like trash. And people don’t like being treated like trash. Trump happened because of you.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/01/trump-how-did-this-happen/
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline JustPassinThru

Re: Trump! How did this happen?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 12:11:49 pm »
It's even more basic than that.

America was created with the idea that there would BE no political elites.  Government was to be small and limited and not-very renumerative; and the citizen-legislator would take a few years off from his farm, or his profession, serve his fellows, and then return.

The first thing to happen was to remove Constitutional limitations.  It began with Direct Election of Senators - which removed the State voice in the Federal Government.  Then, came the New (raw) Deal.  And with it, threats by the Executive against the Judicial...the SCOTUS.

SCOTUS buckled under.  Government unchained.

The power to interfere with private commerce was then appropriated.  Now government could dictate conditions on which private industry could work.  THIS led to private industry have a NEED...not a desire, but a burning NEED, to purchase influence.  To provide graft.

If you doubt this, look at what happened to Walmart and Microsoft - two businesses that for decades had NO lobbying.  Their competitors bribed officials...yes, bribed, with PAC money and lobbyists' pressure...to take aim.

Now, elected office suddenly represented GREAT WEALTH.  So the Political Elite Class was born.  From completion of college, all these Elites do is seek elected office...national office as soon as they meet the age requirement.  John F'n Kerry, Slow Joe Biden...their only other jobs outside elected office, were just weeks-long.

The Political Elite class has become detached, stupefied, often mentally impaired with age or a lifetime of drinking and having subordinates cover the abuse.  THEY HAVE COMPLETELY LOST TOUCH.  With their constituents and with reality.  They live in a fantasy world where the money gushes in and there is no consequence to wasting more, printing more, using more to hurt, not help, their lessers...the Deplorables.

This is what comes of it...but it is far too little and I fear, too late.  Nor do I trust the leader of this supposed movement.

Silver Pines

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 03:23:16 pm »
@DCPatriot

Yes, the author is right. 

However, that cartoon is seriously messed-up...."gross", in fact.  I sincerely hope that no one here sees the president/government as rescuer, father, savior, or someone to leg hump.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 03:26:48 pm »
@DCPatriot
However, that cartoon is seriously messed-up...."gross", in fact.  I sincerely hope that no one here sees the president/government as rescuer, father, savior, or someone to leg hump.

With very tiny hands.

Silver Pines

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 03:34:37 pm »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 03:59:21 pm »

The author only scratched the surface, I suspect. My state went overwhelmingly for Trump because he said he'd reverse Obama's anti-energy-production policies. For us, that means jobs. The other - quinoa, Caitlyn Jenner, etc. - were secondary, at best.

I agree, the cartoon is gross. It's also insulting. Voting for a guy who offers the hope of getting the economy on track is hardly the same as worship.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Silver Pines

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 04:19:25 pm »
The author only scratched the surface, I suspect. My state went overwhelmingly for Trump because he said he'd reverse Obama's anti-energy-production policies. For us, that means jobs. The other - quinoa, Caitlyn Jenner, etc. - were secondary, at best.

I agree, the cartoon is gross. It's also insulting. Voting for a guy who offers the hope of getting the economy on track is hardly the same as worship.

@mountaineer

I agree with all you've said.

Meanwhile in my state of Virginia, my governor refused to attend the inauguration, but he's marching with the women today.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 04:30:19 pm »
 :patriot:  Lots of really good points made above.  I'm definitely in agreement and would like to add my own little twist to the conversation - class warfare.

[1] We live in a very socialized nation where both the top class and the bottom class are highly subsidized with taxpayer dollars.  The middle class is thrown the bone of a tax deduction in the form of mortgage interest, but primarily in the wilderness otherwise.

[2] Most every new piece of legislation, mandate, or rule favors either the top class or the bottom class.  Can you name one in the past 20 years specifically targeted to benefit the middle class?

[3] Specialized classes are exempt from rules imposed on the little people.  When ObamaCare passed it was immediately followed up with a list of the well connected who were pronounced exempt.  Congress exempts themselves from their own mandates as if they were royalty.  Lobbyists have a hand in creating legislation and many times their suggestion are included word for word in new laws.

[4] Justice is meted out to the little people but the elite are immune from the laws of the land.

[5] Small businesses cannot afford to hire a team of lawyers or add a compliance division to their companies to keep up with the mountain of regulations pouring out of Washington D.C.  Big businesses like Wal-Mart might scream bloody murder when a mandate such as ObamaCare is passed.  But silently they realize it is a net plus for them since it kills off their competition, and the rich get richer. 

Class warfare has nearly killed off the middle class.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 04:38:19 pm »

Yep!  Across the board!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 05:21:27 pm »

@mountaineer

I agree with all you've said.

Meanwhile in my state of Virginia, my governor refused to attend the inauguration, but he's marching with the women today.
Will he be wearing a pink nipple hat?

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 06:25:58 pm »
@DCPatriot

Of course.....I respectfully disagree with you and all the others on this thread agreeing with you.

If you're a 40+ or 50+ year-old coal miner...or you are a truck driver having your hours cut back to the 'new' full-time week of 30 hours...so that the employer might be able to maintain sharing in your health premiums...

If you're a typical...even two-person household that has seen your health insurance MONTLY premiums rival a BMW 750il car payment...

....You're GD right he appears to be a savior or sorts.

You guyz have to work a bit harder to lose the hate...wash your eyes so that you can view the landscape correctly.

It appears you STILL can understand where Trump's votes came from.    :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 06:30:43 pm »
Of course.....I respectfully disagree with you and all the others on this thread agreeing with you.

If you're a 40+ or 50+ year-old coal miner...or you are a truck driver having your hours cut back to the 'new' full-time week of 30 hours...so that the employer might be able to maintain sharing in your health premiums...

If you're a typical...even two-person household that has seen your health insurance MONTLY premiums rival a BMW 750il car payment...

....You're GD right he appears to be a savior or sorts.

You guyz have to work a bit harder to lose the hate...wash your eyes so that you can view the landscape correctly.

It appears you STILL can understand where Trump's votes came from.    :whistle:

**nononono* 

Trump is NOT anyone's savior! In fact, he is now officially just another one of their employees!  The sooner you figure that out the better off you will be!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 06:30:51 pm »

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 06:41:01 pm »
**nononono* 

Trump is NOT anyone's savior! In fact, he is now officially just another one of their employees!  The sooner you figure that out the better off you will be!

I think we've figured this out @Bigun .  From listening to and reading his inaugural address, I know the President has figured this out-:

The establishment protected itself, but not the citizens of our country. Their victories have not been your victories; their triumphs have not been your triumphs; and while they celebrated in our nation's capital, there was little to celebrate for struggling families all across our land.

That all changes -- starting right here, and right now, because this moment is your moment: it belongs to you.

It belongs to everyone gathered here today and everyone watching all across America. This is your day. This is your celebration. And this, the United States of America, is your country.

What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer.

Everyone is listening to you now.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 06:42:34 pm »
I think we've figured this out @Bigun .  From listening to and reading his inaugural address, I know the President has figured this out-:

Not quite all apparently!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2017, 06:45:22 pm »
Not quite all apparently!

"All" is a fantasy in political discussions.  But I am most satisfied that the President "gets it".

@Bigun  :beer:

« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 06:47:09 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2017, 06:48:28 pm »
"All" is a fantasy in political discussions.  But I am most satisfied that the President "gets it".

@Bigun  :beer:

Agreed!   :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien