Author Topic: From the White House Website: Trump's Economic Plan: Create 25 Million Jobs, Grow GDP At 4%, Lower Taxes For All Americans (No mention of Climate Change)  (Read 1758 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: ZERO HEDGE

URL: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-01-20/trumps-economic-plan-create-25-million-jobs-grow-gdp-4-lower-taxes-all-americans

President Trump’s economic plan will create 25 million new jobs in next decade, “return to 4 percent annual economic growth,” "lower rates for Americans in every tax bracket, simplify the tax code, and reduce the U.S. corporate tax rate” according to a statement just posted on the White House wesbite.

He has also proposed “a moratorium on new federal regulations and is ordering the heads of federal agencies and departments to identify job-killing regulations.”

The statement also announced the US withdrawal from the Trans-Pacific Partnership and that he is committed to renegotiating NAFTA. "If our partners refuse a renegotiation that gives American workers a fair deal, then the President will give notice of the United States’ intent to withdraw from NAFTA."

From the White House website

Bringing Back Jobs And Growth

Since the recession of 2008, American workers and businesses have suffered through the slowest economic recovery since World War II. The U.S. lost nearly 300,000 manufacturing jobs during this period, while the share of Americans in the work force plummeted to lows not seen since the 1970s, the national debt doubled, and middle class got smaller. To get the economy back on track, President Trump has outlined a bold plan to create 25 million new American jobs in the next decade and return to 4 percent annual economic growth.

The plan starts with pro-growth tax reform to help American workers and businesses keep more of their hard-earned dollars. The President’s plan will lower rates for Americans in every tax bracket, simplify the tax code, and reduce the U.S. corporate tax rate, which is one of the highest in the world. Fixing a tax code that is outdated, overly complex, and too onerous will unleash America’s economy, creating millions of new jobs and boosting economic growth.

As a lifelong job-creator and businessman, the President also knows how important it is to get Washington out of the way of America’s small businesses, entrepreneurs, and workers. In 2015 alone, federal regulations cost the American economy more than $2 trillion. That is why the President has proposed a moratorium on new federal regulations and is ordering the heads of federal agencies and departments to identify job-killing regulations that should be repealed.

With decades of deal-making experience, the President also understands how critical it is to negotiate the best possible trade deals for the United States. By renegotiating existing trade deals, and taking a tough stance on future ones, we will ensure that trade agreements bring good-paying jobs to our shores and support American manufacturing, the backbone of our economy. The President plans to show America’s trading partners that we mean business by ensuring consequences for countries that engage in illegal or unfair trade practices that hurt American workers.

By standing side-by-side with America’s workers and businesses, the President’s policies will unleash economic growth, create 25 million new jobs, and help Make America Great Again.

The White House also posted the following statement on trade.

Trade Deals Working For All Americans

For too long, Americans have been forced to accept trade deals that put the interests of insiders and the Washington elite over the hard-working men and women of this country. As a result, blue-collar towns and cities have watched their factories close and good-paying jobs move overseas, while Americans face a mounting trade deficit and a devastated manufacturing base.

With a lifetime of negotiating experience, the President understands how critical it is to put American workers and businesses first when it comes to trade. With tough and fair agreements, international trade can be used to grow our economy, return millions of jobs to America’s shores, and revitalize our nation’s suffering communities.

This strategy starts by withdrawing from the Trans-Pacific Partnership and making certain that any new trade deals are in the interests of American workers. President Trump is committed to renegotiating NAFTA. If our partners refuse a renegotiation that gives American workers a fair deal, then the President will give notice of the United States’ intent to withdraw from NAFTA.

In addition to rejecting and reworking failed trade deals, the United States will crack down on those nations that violate trade agreements and harm American workers in the process. The President will direct the Commerce Secretary to identify all trade violations and to use every tool at the federal government’s disposal to end these abuses.

To carry out his strategy, the President is appointing the toughest and smartest to his trade team, ensuring that Americans have the best negotiators possible. For too long, trade deals have been negotiated by, and for, members of the Washington establishment. President Trump will ensure that on his watch, trade policies will be implemented by and for the people, and will put America first.

By fighting for fair but tough trade deals, we can bring jobs back to America’s shores, increase wages, and support U.S. manufacturing.

Additionally, the White House website was updated with section on "Making the Military Strong Again", on Foreign Policy, on Law Enforcement and on Energy, most of which seem to be repeats of his plan posted previously on the Trump transition website.

Of final note, the White House section on Climate Change appears to now be gone.

RIP @WhiteHouse climate webpage. pic.twitter.com/1E7nbBJ7MV
— Amy Harder (@AmyAHarder) January 20, 2017
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 08:11:07 pm by SirLinksALot »

geronl

ridiculous pie-in-the-sky economic plan

Plus, I wouldn't expect his fantasy economic plan to mention climate change

Offline SirLinksALot

HonestJohn

Aaaand all this will be done in just five years.

You can plan on it.

Offline GrouchoTex

The numbers are attainable, but A LOT has to go right for that to happen.
Still, even if we didn't change anything, we would probably add 1.6 per year (roughly) we did this in dec-2015 to dec-2016.
That would come out to  16 million in a decade.

We would all hope that the new jobs would be better jobs, but it would be hard to count on a huge influx of new manufacturing jobs to do it.
Those jobs are still there, but taking fewer workers to do them, with robotics, automation, and better work practices.

I don't know if the US has ever sustained 4% growth every year for 10 years straight.
GDP Annual Growth Rate in the United States averaged 3.20 percent from 1948 until 2016, reaching an all time high of 13.40 percent in the fourth quarter of 1950 and a record low of -4.10 percent in the second quarter of 2009.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 03:56:20 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline SirLinksALot

Just read that first paragraph again.

FIRST PARAGRAPH:

President Trump’s economic plan will create 25 million new jobs in next decade, “return to 4 percent annual economic growth,” "lower rates for Americans in every tax bracket, simplify the tax code, and reduce the U.S. corporate tax rate” according to a statement just posted on the White House wesbite.

Let's see the plan and ask ourselves which ones are objectionable:

1) Lower rates for Americans in every tax bracket (I'd rather have a simple, flat tax but this is better than what we  have now and similar to what Reagan did ).

2)  Simplify the tax code (I have no objections to this one. Although the details need to be looked at to see if it makes the take code indeed, simple ).

3) Reduce the U.S. corporate tax rate (Yes, we have the highest corporate tax rate in the developed world, if you included state corporate taxes, companies pay close to 40%. How do you expect to be competitive with this burden hanging over your shoulder ).

So, what's the pie-in-the-sky here? The general goal is quite conservative.

Reagan did something similar in the 1980's and he did achieve 4% GDP growth  or more on average.

25 Million jobs in 10 years? Hard to tell since President Trump will be gone by then.

But note what Reagan accomplished with his policy of lower corporate and income taxes with simpler tax code:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kylesmith/2014/09/11/sorry-obama-fans-reagan-did-better-on-jobs-and-growth/#58cf85ff3c92

His job-creation record after that may fairly be termed outstanding: nearly 20 million more Americans were employed when he left office than when the recession ended. Overall, including the recession on his watch, Reagan's net job growth over eight years was 16.1 million.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 09:40:15 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Winners set high goals, so that even if not reached, the result will be positive.

Losers dwell on what can't be done, whine, bitch and moan. #nevertrump mentality, iow.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The numbers are not unattainable, but A LOT has to go right for that to happen.
Still, even if we didn't change anything, we would probably add 1.6 per year (roughly) we did this in dec-2015 to dec-2016.

We would all hope that the new jobs would be better jobs, but it would be hard to count on a huge influx of new manufacturing jobs to do it.
Those jobs are still there, but taking fewer workers to do them, with robotics, automation, and better work practices.

I don't know if the US has ever sustained 4% growth every year for 10 years straight.
GDP Annual Growth Rate in the United States averaged 3.20 percent from 1948 until 2016, reaching an all time high of 13.40 percent in the fourth quarter of 1950 and a record low of -4.10 percent in the second quarter of 2009.

I disagree that the numbers are not attainable. The question is will the folks in Washington be willing to do what needs to be done to attain them?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline goatprairie

The numbers are not unattainable, but A LOT has to go right for that to happen.

He has promised millions of jobs to people, blue collar people, whose jobs have left mostly to automation and companies relocating to survive. Those people will not be getting new, high-paying manufacturing jobs from companies that have relocated overseas to avoid going out of business.
What Trump can best do for people trying to enter the workforce is stress education in tech fields where the jobs are. We still need people who can repair things. Telling people who've lost their jobs to wait for jobs to come back from China or Mexico is foolish conning.
Tell them the truth...their jobs aren't coming back, and only through either relocating themselves to where jobs exist or getting the right training will they get back on firm economic ground.

Offline GrouchoTex

He has promised millions of jobs to people, blue collar people, whose jobs have left mostly to automation and companies relocating to survive. Those people will not be getting new, high-paying manufacturing jobs from companies that have relocated overseas to avoid going out of business.
What Trump can best do for people trying to enter the workforce is stress education in tech fields where the jobs are. We still need people who can repair things. Telling people who've lost their jobs to wait for jobs to come back from China or Mexico is foolish conning.
Tell them the truth...their jobs aren't coming back, and only through either relocating themselves to where jobs exist or getting the right training will they get back on firm economic ground.

I agree.
I've been in manufacturing for 30+ years now.
We can produce with 1 what it took 3 to 5 workers before.
in the 80's we would make $300K in parts with about 60 employees.
(It would probably equate to $500K now).
Now, in a smaller shop, different company,we make $100K of the same parts with just 5 of us.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Winners set high goals, so that even if not reached, the result will be positive.

Losers dwell on what can't be done, whine, bitch and moan. #nevertrump mentality, iow.

:thumbsup:

Offline GrouchoTex

I disagree that the numbers are not attainable. The question is will the folks in Washington be willing to do what needs to be done to attain them?

My mistake, I meant to say the number ARE NOT unattainable (or I should say ARE attainable).
I will go back and edit.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 03:57:01 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline GrouchoTex

So, I post that it can be done, but it won't be easy, and this makes me #NeverTrump?

That's funny.

Honest, thoughtful opinion doesn't get silenced just because one person or another gets elected.

Offline mirraflake

ridiculous pie-in-the-sky economic plan

Plus, I wouldn't expect his fantasy economic plan to mention climate change

Why is it? 4% GDP growth was normal for most of this country's existence

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
Every recession in the past has followed a relatively predictable pattern.  Once the economy stretches down to its lows it snaps back fairly quickly.  Some call this the "rubber band effect.  And the more it stretches downward the faster it snaps back.

Except for this last recession.  It has proven to be the exception rather than follow the rule.  One could make the assumption, therefore, that a great deal of stored up energy is waiting to snap back in the economy right now.

HonestJohn

Every recession in the past has followed a relatively predictable pattern.  Once the economy stretches down to its lows it snaps back fairly quickly.  Some call this the "rubber band effect.  And the more it stretches downward the faster it snaps back.

Except for this last recession.  It has proven to be the exception rather than follow the rule.  One could make the assumption, therefore, that a great deal of stored up energy is waiting to snap back in the economy right now.

And the traditional Rupublican remedy of tax cuts will not fix the problem.  We need to tackle the red tape.

To actually eliminate loopholes and thus, eliminate the (probably) billions of pages of regulatiohs that cover them.  For then business will not need a large compliance department... nor will the really need to worry about some miniscle rule, buried somewhere under 100,000 pages of text, destroying their business.

That said, Trump is, in essence, running around in a library with a torch... wanting to burn everything he can.  And that's dangerous as there is a need for some regulations.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
These are good goals.  And, as others have already noted, they are attainable under the right circumstances. 

Looks really good after the last eight years.