Author Topic: We Need a Two-Ocean Secretary of the Navy  (Read 427 times)

rangerrebew

We Need a Two-Ocean Secretary of the Navy
« on: January 20, 2017, 12:08:41 pm »
We Need a Two-Ocean Secretary of the Navy
Paul Giarra
January 19, 2017

Bataan-livefire
Print Friendly

Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn

I speak only for myself, but I suspect that I’m not the only one disappointed to hear that Congressman Randy Forbes will apparently not be the next Navy secretary.

Forbes is widely credited with making the strategic and operational case for a bigger and strategically re-oriented U.S. Navy, and in fact for making the case for serious naval strategy in the first place.  Until days ago, it was assumed that he would be nominated as the next secretary of the Navy by President-elect Donald Trump.  I was chagrined in June when Forbes — a Republican boasting 16 years of experience as a member of Congress and as the longtime chairman of the House Armed Services seapower subcommittee — lost his party’s nomination for re-election in a Hampton Roads re-districting tussle.  I was thrilled to hear the speculation that he was the consensus favorite to be the Navy’s civilian leader. And then I was once again disappointed to read that he was no longer slated for the job.

I have no insight into Forbes’ plans for the future, nor any contact with him.  For all I know, he is done with public life and plans on coming ashore for the last time, but I doubt it.

https://warontherocks.com/2017/01/we-need-a-two-ocean-secretary-of-the-navy/
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 12:09:32 pm by rangerrebew »