Author Topic: Trump 'Disrespects' the Intel Community? What About Obama's Iraq Bug-Out? - Larry Elder  (Read 1216 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Excerpt:

Trump 'Disrespects' the Intel Community? What About Obama's Iraq Bug-Out?

As a candidate, Obama called the Iraq War "dumb." He vowed to withdraw the troops and reposition them in Afghanistan -- the good war. As President, this is exactly what he did. But he did so against the unanimous advice of the major national security voices in his administration.

Then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton urged him to keep a stay-behind force. So did his secretary of Defense, the head of the CIA, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the United States ambassador to Iraq and his national security adviser.

Army Gen. Ray Odierno, former member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said shorty after his retirement that had there been a stabilizing force in Iraq, ISIS could've been dealt with: "I go back to the work we did in 2007 (through) 2010, and we got into a place that was really good. Violence was low, the economy was growing, politics looked like it was heading in the right direction. ... We thought we had it going exactly in the right direction, but now we watch it fall apart. It's frustrating that it's falling apart. ... I think, maybe, if we had stayed a little bit more engaged, I think maybe it might have prevented it."

Think about it. Obama, with barely two years of experience in the Senate, and no foreign-policy experience, rejected the unanimous advice of his mission security team. He pulled completely out of Iraq, a decision that aided and abetted the rise of ISIS.

Continued: http://townhall.com/columnists/larryelder/2017/01/19/trump-disrespects-the-intel-community-what-about-obamas-iraq-bugout-n2273577

How can anyone be happy with Obama that ISIS rose to power under his watch; and probably could have been prevented.

:amen: Larry Elder.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 04:37:12 am by TomSea »

geronl

Trump does disrespect the US intel community, he made that clear on the campaign trail where he said he has better insight because he watches "the shows".

The "what about Obama..." distraction doesn't change that one bit.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
2 wrongs still don't make a right.

HonestJohn

How is ignoring the US intel community equal to that of actively disparaging it?

Disparaging it is *FAR* worse.

Offline TomSea

How is ignoring the US intel community equal to that of actively disparaging it?

Disparaging it is *FAR* worse.

If I could, I'd ask all of those people who had their heads cut off which is worse.

Are you kidding? Obama made a mess of things in the Middle East allowing ISIS to rise.

US negligence not withstanding, many parties are at fault but how many have died, been maimed and left homeless because we withdrew from Iraq and besides that, the huge refugee problem?

Offline TomSea

If we go bomb Libya, etc. wmds in Iraq, yes, Intelligence should line up.

Offline TomSea

Respectfully, HJ; I don't wish to criticize Obama in error, the Turks and the Iranians do that, at least, those who push propaganda. ISIS has many roots; that's undeniable.

But I think this Arab writer gives a good perspective on things.

On the American role in Syria’s hell

26/12/2016

In an interesting interview published Wednesday in the London-based daily Al-Hayat, former American Ambassador to Syria Robert Ford – who still held this post when the Syrian revolution erupted – revealed a lot of information about the US and how it dealt with the Syrian problem during President Barack Obama’s term.

Ford left his post as envoy to Syria two years ago. What attracted my attention in his interview, which was carried out after the recent massacres in Aleppo, is how he noted that what’s happening in Syria is in attempt by Iran and its Shiite militias from across the world to achieve “ethnic change in the country” through the aid of Russian military tyranny.

These statements must be made, and they will be reiterated here later. It’s true that Assad, Khamenei and Vladimir Putin prevented establishing a national opposition and preferred, for obvious reasons, that all opposition parties be marked as either ISIS or al-Qaeda, however, this does not exonerate the Syrian opposition from bearing its national and historic duty.

In the end, I think the biggest sin is that of the Obama administration.

http://www.syriahr.com/en/?p=57801

See, many of the people over there really expected the US to come in and police the situation.

As many here will say, that is not our job.

Things though, got botched up big time.

Gen Shenseki said way back in '03; we needed a bigger presence and per Larry Elder's writings above, we were foolish to pull out so much in '11. But not wanting American soldiers in harm's way is understandable to a degree.

So, it really is an issue as to how much one was willing to commit. Not a question to take lightly.

HonestJohn

Respectfully, HJ; I don't wish to criticize Obama in error, the Turks and the Iranians do that, at least, those who push propaganda. ISIS has many roots; that's undeniable.

But I think this Arab writer gives a good perspective on things.

See, many of the people over there really expected the US to come in and police the situation.

As many here will say, that is not our job.

Things though, got botched up big time.

Gen Shenseki said way back in '03; we needed a bigger presence and per Larry Elder's writings above, we were foolish to pull out so much in '11. But not wanting American soldiers in harm's way is understandable to a degree.

So, it really is an issue as to how much one was willing to commit. Not a question to take lightly.

To be honest, we wouldn't have had to stay as long or had to deal as much with Iraqi terror groups had Iraq been turned into a federal, not parliamentary, republic.  If we'd split the nation into three 'states', with the north for Kurds, the south for Shiites, and the middle for Sunnis... the Kurds and the Shiites could have and would have dealt with the Sunni problem relatively easily.

For the Sunnis, who actively created the Iraqi terror groups, and later ISIS, would have been stuck on a patch of land with no oil and no economic activity worth much.  Whereas the Kurds and Shiites would have had an economic base and would have surrounded the Sunnis.  Furthermore, there would have been an initial period of resettlement, where all the three groups would have moved into their own regions, not from terror attacks, but from their own internal disgust with the 'others'.

And that'd have also minimized the ability of the Sunnis to launch terror attacks, as they'd have to launch them from their own state.  They would not have had the ability to hide in plain sight within every city and town.