Author Topic: Trump says #NeverTrump Just Didn't Understand Him (Title Shortened)  (Read 1139 times)

Offline corbe

Trump says #NeverTrump Just ‘Didn’t Understand’ Him, But Did He Understand #NeverTrump?

Posted at 4:00 pm on January 19, 2017 by Jim Jamitis

President-elect Trump talked about the NeverTrump movement at a fundraiser at the National Portrait Gallery last night. He claimed that “they just didn’t understand” him. His comments appear to have been typically scattered so it makes one wonder if he ever really understood NeverTrumpers.

Donald Trump said late Wednesday that members of the Never Trump movement just didn’t understand him.

“These people were angry. They didn’t even know me. I never met them,” the president-elect said during a fundraiser at the National Portrait Gallery, according to a video of the event obtained by Axios.

“They’re really right now on a respirator,” he continued.

I’m not really sure what he means by that. Obviously the segment of people who were trying to derail his nomination at the convention or the one trying to pull off some miraculous Electoral College shenanigans haven’t succeeded. From my perspective, that was never the center of gravity for the NeverTrump crowd though.

And we actually do have some Never Trumpers that are fantastic people. They just didn’t understand me.”

I suppose with this statement Trump is referring to the critics and opponents who came begging for jobs after he won the election. “Fantastic people” who at the time were “total losers” and “dummies.” In politics everything is an act. Everything with Trump is an act. The only thing separating him from typical politicians is that he hasn’t made a career out of it.

A great deal of what manifested as NeverTrump was in my opinion the rejection of the sort of politics where people’s words have the shelf life of a Snapchat photo—the sort of politics where Governor Rick Perry can one day promise to eliminate the wasteful Department of Energy as President and on another say that Donald Trump is “a cancer on conservatism” and then ultimately sit before a Senate committee hoping to be approved as Donald Trump’s Secretary of Energy. This sort of thing happens routinely in Washington with virtually no one marveling at the mendacity. Many of us who were merely jaded have now simply decided to call a farce a farce.

We’ve always known that much of politics is fakery and lies. Donald Trump’s candidacy only shined a carbon-arc spotlight on that reality and the reality that most people don’t care as long as they’re on the winning team. The NeverTrump movement that I know may be in limbo but we’re not on a respirator any more than the Democrat Party is on a respirator. In politics many are eager to declare an idea dead based on the outcome of a single election. Those people are either terribly ignorant or they are dishonestly trying to sell you something.

Many of us who opposed Trump remain skeptical of him. The outcome is not what we wanted, but apart from a loony few, we realize it’s not going to be undone. So we watch and intend to hold Trump to account. We will applaud any good that he does and we will be critical of him when he proposes big government, anti-liberty ideas. This rankles the tribalists who think we must give full throated support to the man in the White House because of he belongs to the right party. People who don’t cheer for the right team are, by default, the enemy even if they no longer cheer for any team.

<..snip..>

http://www.redstate.com/jimjamitis/2017/01/19/trump-says-nevertrump-just-didnt-understand-understand-nevertrump/

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: Trump says #NeverTrump Just Didn't Understand Him (Title Shortened)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 01:39:42 am »

President-elect Trump talked about the NeverTrump movement at a fundraiser at the National Portrait Gallery last night. He claimed that “they just didn’t understand” him.

Horseshiite.

We Principled Constitutionalists understood him.  He has a record of statements, interviews, commentary, Op-Eds, Ads, TV appearances, Talk Shows and Reality TV to glean from.

He was and is a typical NYC Liberal Democrat and has been his whole life, despite what party he wanted to latch onto so he could 'win'.

Some NeverTrumps in the GOP Establishment may have misunderstood him and took him for a Cruz Conservative of sorts.  I contend the majority of those simply opposed him because he was not groomed up through their ranks, and came in by his own forcible power.

A great deal of what manifested as NeverTrump was in my opinion the rejection of the sort of politics where people’s words have the shelf life of a Snapchat photo—the sort of politics where Governor Rick Perry can one day promise to eliminate the wasteful Department of Energy as President and on another say that Donald Trump is “a cancer on conservatism” and then ultimately sit before a Senate committee hoping to be approved as Donald Trump’s Secretary of Energy. This sort of thing happens routinely in Washington with virtually no one marveling at the mendacity. Many of us who were merely jaded have now simply decided to call a farce a farce.

Exactly.  And Trump is no different one moment to the next.

Donald Trump’s candidacy only shined a carbon-arc spotlight on that reality and the reality that most people don’t care as long as they’re on the winning team.

We see that displayed in spades every single day from the Trump militant, whether one such acolyte here on this board or at TOS and elsewhere.  This past election was  just another sporting event; a fantasy football investment.

The NeverTrump movement that I know may be in limbo but we’re not on a respirator any more than the Democrat Party is on a respirator.

The Conservative movement as it is understood and accepted is already dead, being fundamentally transformed into a perverted form of Nationalist Populist Statism.  Trump is branding Conservative to reference himself and the media is all-too-eager to take him up on that and run with it.

Many of us who opposed Trump remain skeptical of him. The outcome is not what we wanted, but apart from a loony few, we realize it’s not going to be undone. So we watch and intend to hold Trump to account. We will applaud any good that he does and we will be critical of him when he proposes big government, anti-liberty ideas. This rankles the tribalists who think we must give full throated support to the man in the White House because of he belongs to the right party. People who don’t cheer for the right team are, by default, the enemy even if they no longer cheer for any team.[/i]

Amen and fully illustrated by the Trump militants who have gone into overdrive to silence any criticism of their political messiah.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Silver Pines

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 12:57:07 am »
@corbe

He just moved into the White House.  Why is he still worried about Never Trumpers?

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 01:07:27 am »
@corbe

He just moved into the White House.  Why is he still worried about Never Trumpers?

He's feeding his rabid followers kibbles and bits, not unlike this guy;

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 01:16:30 am »
Horseshiite.

We Principled Constitutionalists understood him.  He has a record of statements, interviews, commentary, Op-Eds, Ads, TV appearances, Talk Shows and Reality TV to glean from.

He was and is a typical NYC Liberal Democrat and has been his whole life, despite what party he wanted to latch onto so he could 'win'.

Some NeverTrumps in the GOP Establishment may have misunderstood him and took him for a Cruz Conservative of sorts.  I contend the majority of those simply opposed him because he was not groomed up through their ranks, and came in by his own forcible power.

Exactly.  And Trump is no different one moment to the next.

We see that displayed in spades every single day from the Trump militant, whether one such acolyte here on this board or at TOS and elsewhere.  This past election was  just another sporting event; a fantasy football investment.

The Conservative movement as it is understood and accepted is already dead, being fundamentally transformed into a perverted form of Nationalist Populist Statism.  Trump is branding Conservative to reference himself and the media is all-too-eager to take him up on that and run with it.

Amen and fully illustrated by the Trump militants who have gone into overdrive to silence any criticism of their political messiah.

Well said.   :hands:

Offline corbe

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 01:29:54 am »
   The last perpetration of Hill and Bill on US Conservatives was to encourage Donald to run as a Republican, knowing they had enough dirt on him to bury his oversized ego and his stupid party, but the best laid plans and all that. 
   If hellary would have been to sick or drunk to run, Trump would have lost as a NY democrat candidate, where his true roots are.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 01:40:05 am »
Actually I understand him perfectly and that is why I won't defend him.

Now lets see how he deals with a shot across the bow from a real conservative.

Mike Lee (R-UT) introduced the Global Trade Accountability Act Friday, a bill that would subject all Executive Branch trade actions (including raising tariffs) to congressional approval.

http://www.lee.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=press-releases&id=8DA8C6CF-3413-4D60-9985-3CB8CAE83157

Silver Pines

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 01:53:24 am »

Mike Lee (R-UT) introduced the Global Trade Accountability Act Friday, a bill that would subject all Executive Branch trade actions (including raising tariffs) to congressional approval.

http://www.lee.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=press-releases&id=8DA8C6CF-3413-4D60-9985-3CB8CAE83157

@Cripplecreek

Here we go, lol.  Good for Mike Lee.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 01:58:01 am »

Why do I think Donaldus Minimus is liable to hit back by nicknaming the man something like "Pinky Lee?"

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 02:03:12 am »
@Cripplecreek

Here we go, lol.  Good for Mike Lee.

It would be pretty hard for a conservative to argue against something that limits the power of the presidency.

geronl

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 02:28:27 am »
#NeverTrump are the ones who understand him best