Author Topic: Trump signals he's softening on immigration: 'Working on a plan' that will make DREAMers 'very happy'  (Read 3893 times)

Silver Pines

Offline Rivergirl

Gotta keep those showgirls coming to America. 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline JustPassinThru

I've said it all along:  The Trump cheerleaders are in for a very, very rude awakening.

FRANTIC for some sort of comic-book superhero to come and save them, they've projected their fantasies onto him - and without any real factual basis.  Yes, he's said he'd kick out illegals and build the wall.  That was his Talking Point; his Soundbyte.  Hammered, and by a hostile mediuh, to make his soundbyte into a campaign pledge, he has flip-flopped all over the place.

In typical Democrat fashion.  Because, let us not forget...THAT IS WHO HE WAS AND IS.

Look, I hope he does what he suggested he might do...what he said he'd do, when the crowds were cheering, before the hard questions by his fellow DemocRats.  But I don't think he will; and I base that on his history as a Democrat mega-contributor and voter.  I base that on my read of the man. 

As satisfying as the fantasy of Superman in a Trump mask is...it will not be a Superman who will save us.  A comic-book superhero who ignores law and breaks the Constitutional process for Republicans, is as much a destroyer as the Kenyan was.

Just as the answer to BLM black-supremacy racism is not Klan white-supremacy racism but RULE OF LAW...so, too, the answer here is not a Mighty-Trump fantasy but to RESTORE AND STRENGTHEN THE SYSTEM.

We had our chance at that...three candidates, to varying degrees, who were adamant conservatives.  Voters, egged on by the Alt Right, rejected them.

And here we are.  Enjoy your fantasies, trumpbots - they'll be short-lived.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I've said it all along:  The Trump cheerleaders are in for a very, very rude awakening.

FRANTIC for some sort of comic-book superhero to come and save them, they've projected their fantasies onto him - and without any real factual basis.  Yes, he's said he'd kick out illegals and build the wall.  That was his Talking Point; his Soundbyte.  Hammered, and by a hostile mediuh, to make his soundbyte into a campaign pledge, he has flip-flopped all over the place.

In typical Democrat fashion.  Because, let us not forget...THAT IS WHO HE WAS AND IS.

Look, I hope he does what he suggested he might do...what he said he'd do, when the crowds were cheering, before the hard questions by his fellow DemocRats.  But I don't think he will; and I base that on his history as a Democrat mega-contributor and voter.  I base that on my read of the man. 

As satisfying as the fantasy of Superman in a Trump mask is...it will not be a Superman who will save us.  A comic-book superhero who ignores law and breaks the Constitutional process for Republicans, is as much a destroyer as the Kenyan was.

Just as the answer to BLM black-supremacy racism is not Klan white-supremacy racism but RULE OF LAW...so, too, the answer here is not a Mighty-Trump fantasy but to RESTORE AND STRENGTHEN THE SYSTEM.

We had our chance at that...three candidates, to varying degrees, who were adamant conservatives.  Voters, egged on by the Alt Right, rejected them.

His highest hurdles will be the fantasies of his most avid supporters. They voted for a man who doesn't exist and won't be wished into existence.

Offline goatprairie

Apparently, over at TOS heads are already exploding. What Trump uttered about the DREAMERS did not go over very well with them.  And his supposedly rock-solid stand on illegal immigrants is why many of them jumped on the Trump Train in the first place. To betray all those stalwart Trumpsters who thought their man could do no wrong was something they, the Trumpsters, thought would never happen.
But enjoy the next four years folks. I'll bet there will be more reversals of campaign promises before the four years is over.

Offline GrouchoTex

I don't know what to think anymore..
When he first announced and said "wall" he got a lot of attention, as Kate Stenle and others were in the news.
A lot of people were upset about this and rightly so.
His seized that opportunity and made a successful run for the white house.
What people ignored then, or forgot, or never knew, was in 2013, he met with dreamers and said "you've convinced me".

I fear that, just like Obama, people have projected on to Trump what they want him to be, rather than what he is.

We shall see.
My sense is that we will get a mixed bag of conservatism and liberalism.
Things from a Scalia-type justice to paid maternity leave, and lots of stuff that falls in between.

Offline JustPassinThru

I can tell you what to think, Tex.  And don't take my word for it, either.  Watch and see that I'm right.

We elected a non-treasonous Democrat into the office.  That ITSELF is a 1000-percent improvement; but it's a long way from what we need.  Now, we can work with this man - just as George W, who was no conservative, showed fealty to conservatives with many of his policies and pledges...so, too, has Trump done some acknowledging of conservative demands.  Mike Pence; and Jeff Sessions; and a few other persons and proposals.

But he WILL NOT solve our problems, until and unless he gets religgion. The True Faith of proven conservative principles:  Limited government, reduction in spending and taxation, end government forcible-redistribution of wealth, and faithfully enforce laws and Rule of Law.

We will not see much of this.  We will see Smoot-Hawley tariffs, proposed or enacted; we will see a depression within a depression; and we will see the Democrats on Monkey Island go bonkers.

This could go anywhere from here, including (best outcome) a split of the United States, to (worst outcome) a Kaine-Warren or Warren-Kaine conquest in four years, followed by the Transformation of the former United States into a feudal Marxist laboratory.

Offline Cripplecreek

Apparently, over at TOS heads are already exploding. What Trump uttered about the DREAMERS did not go over very well with them.  And his supposedly rock-solid stand on illegal immigrants is why many of them jumped on the Trump Train in the first place. To betray all those stalwart Trumpsters who thought their man could do no wrong was something they, the Trumpsters, thought would never happen.
But enjoy the next four years folks. I'll bet there will be more reversals of campaign promises before the four years is over.

I predicted before Trump even announced that they would abandon Ted Cruz at the first sight of the next political Justin Beiber and they did. I just never expected it to be Trump who was a known liberal element more akin to a Madona than a Beiber.

Unfortunately they knew exactly what they were voting for and I think that's why they're still so angry at those who us who won't sell out our principles. They know Trump will betray them and don't like the fact that we who warned them are still here annd unwilling to share their blame.

geronl

We elected a non-treasonousn (KGB Putin-loving) Democrat into the office. 

All hail Mudder Russia
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 05:13:13 pm by geronl »

geronl

They know Trump will betray them and don't like the fact that we who warned them are still here annd unwilling to share their blame.

They also know we will refuse to sell out next time too. They hate us pre-emptively for that.

Offline JustPassinThru

All hail Mudder Russia

Yes, it is a problem.

Given what we came out of the conventions with, the final choice, this is the better outcome.  The less-bad outcome.

The REAL problem, is that the Republican Party has been taken over by lovers of feudalism - who're just fine with a Caesar in place of a President, so long as his whims seem to align with their own.

Trump is a problem but not THE problem.  THE problem is what the American people have become.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

THIS!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^

AND AMEN!!
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline GrouchoTex

I can tell you what to think, Tex.  And don't take my word for it, either.  Watch and see that I'm right.

We elected a non-treasonous Democrat into the office.  That ITSELF is a 1000-percent improvement; but it's a long way from what we need.  Now, we can work with this man - just as George W, who was no conservative, showed fealty to conservatives with many of his policies and pledges...so, too, has Trump done some acknowledging of conservative demands.  Mike Pence; and Jeff Sessions; and a few other persons and proposals.

But he WILL NOT solve our problems, until and unless he gets religgion. The True Faith of proven conservative principles:  Limited government, reduction in spending and taxation, end government forcible-redistribution of wealth, and faithfully enforce laws and Rule of Law.

We will not see much of this.  We will see Smoot-Hawley tariffs, proposed or enacted; we will see a depression within a depression; and we will see the Democrats on Monkey Island go bonkers.

This could go anywhere from here, including (best outcome) a split of the United States, to (worst outcome) a Kaine-Warren or Warren-Kaine conquest in four years, followed by the Transformation of the former United States into a feudal Marxist laboratory.

I had cautioned Trump supporters about a Smoot-Hawley type of tariff situation, but that, among other things, fell on deaf ears.
The battle cry of "wall" seemed to drowned everything else out.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
They know Trump will betray them and don't like the fact that we who warned them are still here annd unwilling to share their blame

The most virulent Trumpers won't care if he reversed every single campaign promise he made as long as he continues to be a bully. 

They've got their revenge candidate and that's all they care about.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
The most virulent Trumpers won't care if he reversed every single campaign promise he made as long as he continues to be a bully. 

Perfectly stated.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
 :th_10444:
Italian opera  singer isn't he?

Musician.

Plays the oboe.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Applewood

Note this phrase in the article and compare it to the title from the Daily Mail (Emphasis in BOLD ):

Who is being made happy again? Trump says one thing but the article's title insinuates another.

Trouble is, I can't tell for sure just who he thinks will be made happy.  He could very well be talking about the illegals. 

This isn't all that surprising.   During the campaign, Trump waffled several times on his anti-illegal platform and his precious wall. But most of his fans I encountered chose to ignore the inconsistencies. 

Offline goatprairie

Yes, it is a problem.

Given what we came out of the conventions with, the final choice, this is the better outcome.  The less-bad outcome.

The REAL problem, is that the Republican Party has been taken over by lovers of feudalism - who're just fine with a Caesar in place of a President, so long as his whims seem to align with their own.

Trump is a problem but not THE problem.  THE problem is what the American people have become.
"THE problem is what the American people have become."
Yes. Forty years ago neither an Obama nor a Trump could have gotten elected. It seems today even many supposedly conservatives believe in Big Government saving them.

Offline JustPassinThru

"THE problem is what the American people have become."
Yes. Forty years ago neither an Obama nor a Trump could have gotten elected. It seems today even many supposedly conservatives believe in Big Government saving them.

Those aren't conservatives.  Those are party cheerleaders.

You see them at every football game.  They don't know the players and they don't see a damn bit of difference between "their" team and the other team, but they're all for the Team Jersey.

That's what we have now.  And not JUST in the electorate.  We have a whole phalanx of RINOs who want what the DemocRats want - but they just want a chance to control the money.

Left in the dirt are the few who understand that politics is more than shaking the pompoms and the letter on the Team Jersey...that principles MATTER, and HOW an elected public SERVANT...EXECUTES HIS OFFICE...not "rules," but fulfills the duties of the office...how that is done, MATTERS.

GREATLY.

The Republican voters were presented with five flavors of conservatism...some flawed, in fact all of them flawed, but most of them sincere and capable...and they chose Bozo the Donald.

Offline Cripplecreek

No mention of health law repeal in inaugural speech or on new WhiteHouse.gov

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/no-mention-of-aca-repeal-in-inaugural-speech-or-on-new-whitehousegov/2017/01/20/ce059afe-df34-11e6-ad42-f3375f271c9c_story.html?postshare=4991484934568451&tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.01470bb109cc

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
No mention of health law repeal in inaugural speech or on new WhiteHouse.gov

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/no-mention-of-aca-repeal-in-inaugural-speech-or-on-new-whitehousegov/2017/01/20/ce059afe-df34-11e6-ad42-f3375f271c9c_story.html?postshare=4991484934568451&tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.01470bb109cc

Of course not.

And soon we will hear from the Faithful that a repeal was never 'realistic', and that Trump is a genius to manage ObamaCare better by simply rebranding it and letting the government pick winners and losers in the insurance market while mandating everyone must be covered.

This will be followed by explanations of how unrealistic the immigration issue was to fix - and that Trump is brilliant to recognize the need to grant full citizenship to every Illegal that is now here.

And a virtual or psychological wall on the Southern Border is just as effective and wonderful as one that is 40 feet high with a big-beautiful revolving door in the middle.