Author Topic: What Trump Is Up Against (Yes, Minister)  (Read 1084 times)

Offline endicom

What Trump Is Up Against (Yes, Minister)
« on: January 19, 2017, 05:13:30 pm »
Power Line
Stephen Hayward
Jan. 19, 2017

A lot of people are thinking—and hoping—that Trump will be the third term of Ronald Reagan. Certainly his cabinet is to the right of Reagan’s first cabinet in many ways, and we have the experience of the Reagan years to appreciate better the massive opposition of what people are starting to call the “deep state,” a more accurate term perhaps for the menacing character of the administrative state.

I stumbled across a speech Reagan gave in 1977 that states the modern problem very well:

But how much are we to blame for what has happened? Beginning with the traumatic experience of the Great Depression, we the people have turned more and more to government for answers that government has neither the right nor the capacity to provide. But government, as an institution, always tends to increase in size and power, not just this government—any government. It’s built-in. And so government attempted to provide the answers.

The result is a fourth branch added to the traditional three of executive, legislative, and judicial: a vast federal bureaucracy that’s now being imitated in too many states and too many cities, a bureaucracy of enormous power which determines policy to a greater extent than any of us realize, very possibly to a greater extent than our own elected representatives. And it can’t be removed from office by our votes.

More... http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2017/01/what-trump-is-up-against.php

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: What Trump Is Up Against (Yes, Minister)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 05:16:00 pm »
Said it on another thread - the bureaucracy is the Uniparty. Not the posturing fools hunting for votes.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline endicom

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 05:32:06 pm »
Said it on another thread - the bureaucracy is the Uniparty. Not the posturing fools hunting for votes.

The posturing fools offloaded their responsibilities onto the bureaucrats. Foolish in the long run but it got a lot of fools to their retirement.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 09:41:34 pm »
A lot of people are thinking—and hoping—that Trump will be the third term of Ronald Reagan.

A lot of people are going to be very disappointed.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 09:50:34 pm »
A lot of people are going to be very disappointed.

Not me, my expectations for Trump are exceedingly low.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 10:08:38 pm »

If you can find the truth, you will learn that the majority of bureaucrats, city, county, state, federal are democrats. (Although at certain places, in certain times they will present as Republicans) Big government headcounts, budgets, etc.

Reagan had some state experience, to learn first hand. My father was a friend at that time with Howard Jarvis, author of Calif. Prop. 13 to limit property taxes.

Jarvis was merely a successful businessman, who decided the single most effective way to restrict government, was to limit funding.

I am confident Trump knows all about this. He is talking about big cuts to department budgets.

The departments will scream to hell and high water.

I used to manage budgeting processes.  Asked how much is too much to cut, I learned the answer is when vital functions fail to be completed. Not before.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

geronl

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 04:44:25 pm »
What makes anyone think Trump is against big government?

HonestJohn

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 05:28:34 pm »
The more laws that are made, the more people that are needed to oversee and enforce them.

That should be clear to those that make laws.

Unfortunately, it isn't.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 05:35:52 pm »
The more laws that are made, the more people that are needed to oversee and enforce them.

That should be clear to those that make laws.

Unfortunately, it isn't.

The Michigan legislature under republican control has undertaken to eliminate or tone down lots of regulatory law as being to expensive to enforce. The democrat's answer is always the same. "Just hire more people and raise fees and fines".

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 01:49:51 am »
Ron Reagan was the kind of person who comes along once in a century. An American original.

Mr. Trump is not another Ronald Reagan -- and I say that as someone who happily voted for him last November.

But the fact that he's not, is not important.

What will be important is for Mr. Trump to walk in the trail of Mr. Reagan's footsteps.

If he does that, he'll do well enough.

That's all that I expect.

And it will all the country needs.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 02:37:10 am »
What is Trump up against??!!! Well, among other things his pettiness towards ankle-biters best left ignored, his own narcissistic egotism that rivals Obama's and his, Trump's, ignorance....he's not nearly as smart as he thinks he is. Nobody is.