Author Topic: Preserving Bodies in a Deep Freeze: 50 Years Later  (Read 981 times)

rangerrebew

Preserving Bodies in a Deep Freeze: 50 Years Later
« on: January 19, 2017, 04:26:03 pm »
By Peter Gwynne, INSN Contributor | January 14, 2017 08:45am ET

MORE

Credit: U.S. Department of Agriculture via Flickr/CC BY-SA 2.0

(Inside Science) -- Early in the 1960s, a group of enthusiasts advanced the concept of freezing humans as soon as they die, in hopes of reviving them after the arrival of medical advances able to cure the conditions that killed them. The idea went into practice for the first time 50 years ago.

On Jan. 12, 1967, James Bedford, an emeritus professor of psychology at the University of California, became the first person to be "cyropreserved." A small team of doctors and other enthusiasts froze him a few hours after he died from liver cancer that had spread to his lungs.

A few days later the team placed the body into an insulated container packed with dry ice. Later still, Bedford was immersed in liquid nitrogen in a large Dewar container. Fifteen years on, after a series of moves from one cryopreservation facility to another, his body found a home at the Alcor Life Extension Foundation in Scottsdale, Arizona, where it still resides.

http://www.livescience.com/57510-preserving-bodies-deep-freeze-after-50-years.html
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 04:27:03 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Re: Preserving Bodies in a Deep Freeze: 50 Years Later
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 05:49:31 pm »
If anybody brings me back to this broken down body on this planet after I'm gone is going to be in for it. You've been given fair warning.

Then again maybe I can fund my retirement by taking bids for the highest amount I can get people to pay to assure that I'll stay dead.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 10:06:44 pm »
Fruitcakes

Offline Idiot

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 12:18:00 am »
If anybody brings me back to this broken down body on this planet after I'm gone is going to be in for it. You've been given fair warning.

Then again maybe I can fund my retirement by taking bids for the highest amount I can get people to pay to assure that I'll stay dead.
Do you take paypal?   ^-^

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 12:20:12 am »
John Wayne's not dead
He's frozen and as soon as we find the cure for cancer
We're gonna thaw out The Duke and he's gonna be pretty pissed off
You know why? Have you ever taken a cold shower?

Well multiple that by 15 million times
That's how pissed off the Duke's gonna be
I'm gonna get the Duke and John Cassavetes

(Hey)
And Lee Marvin
(Hey)
And Sam Peckinpah
(Hey)
And a case of whiskey and drive down to Texas

Dennis Leary - I'm An A__hole