Author Topic: 'You eat or you go' Muslims furious as mayor scraps pork-free option on school dinner menu  (Read 1319 times)

rangerrebew

'You eat or you go' Muslims furious as mayor scraps pork-free option on school dinner menu
MUSLIMS have been left furious after a French mayor announced Islamic children will no longer be offered a pork-free option at lunch in a cash-strapped school.
By Romina McGuinness
PUBLISHED: 00:01, Thu, Jan 19, 2017 | UPDATED: 14:57, Thu, Jan 19, 2017

Marcel Berthomé, the centrist mayor of Saint-Seurin, a town in western France, said Muslims would have to make do with a side dish on pork days because the “struggling” Saint-Seurin-sur-l'Isle primary school could no longer afford to offer children a non-pork alternative.

But Mr Berhomé’s decision to scrap pork-free meals from the menu has caused consternation among Muslim parents, who claim their children are being discriminated against because of their faith.

Sonia, a mother whose five-year-old son does not eat pork, said the mayor had launched a scathing attack on the local Muslim community.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/755920/muslims-furious-Saint-Seurin-mayor-Marcel-Berthom-scraps-pork-free-option-school-dinners
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 04:04:43 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Really? 4 different religions don't eat pork, so far as I'm aware (there are probably more) and it's aimed at Muslims? Yeah, right.

What the hell is wrong with these damned schools anyways? Give the kids chicken for a meat dish - dirt cheap and there is no religious bullshit against eating it.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Polly Ticks

Really? 4 different religions don't eat pork, so far as I'm aware (there are probably more) and it's aimed at Muslims? Yeah, right.

What the hell is wrong with these damned schools anyways? Give the kids chicken for a meat dish - dirt cheap and there is no religious bullshit against eating it.

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Serve a cheese sandwich for an alternative.  It's even cheaper than pork.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Or mac and cheese - even cheaper and never seen a kid yet doesn't like it.  :laugh: Pasta and passata for the lactose intolerant (bugger vegetarians - no kid under the age of 14 should be on a totally veggie diet).
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Wingnut

This is France right?  Let them eat cake. 

Offline dfwgator

HonestJohn

Pretty much.

The only reason to do something like this is to send a message that if your religion doesn't eat pork, you aren't welcome in their town.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
We associate Germans obviously with sausage; but the French are into it as well.

That's a lot of pork?

Maybe it is a bit cultural compared to having a salisbury steak on the menu at a US school cafeteria.

I thought the French ate...

What if one was in Kentucky or a lot of places, and someone was saying "no chicken on the menu", chicken being a very universal food.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
A bit related on the dog issue:

“This has got to be a scam. I’m a Muslim and the Muslim law says that if you live in a country that is not Muslim, which is England, you respect the law of the land.

“In our house in Pakistan we keep dogs and many of my friends here have dogs. We keep ourselves clean and away from animals before prayer but Muslim people do keep dogs in their homes.

"I think this is somebody trying to divide the community. I do not see any problems at all. I want to say to people to just ignore this.

“Nobody in 30 years has ever raised any issue about this with me and we do not impose our beliefs on anyone.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/14/muslim-campaign-to-ban-dogs-in-public-places---is-it-an-islamoph/

Okay, so come Easter, it probably wasn't hard to serve fish on Fridays per the beliefs of some religions but what if something like that had to be done everyday?