Author Topic: Natural gas-fired power plants lead electric capacity additions in Mexico  (Read 2715 times)

Offline thackney

Natural gas-fired power plants lead electric capacity additions in Mexico
http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=29592
JANUARY 18, 2017

Natural gas is Mexico’s largest source of electricity generation, accounting for 54% of the country’s generation in 2015, up from 34% in 2005. According to Mexico’s national energy ministry (SENER), more than 60% of Mexico’s electric capacity additions between 2016 and 2020 are projected to come from natural gas-fired power plants, and significant natural gas capacity additions are expected to continue through 2029.

SENER projects that natural gas-fired capacity will account for 24.9 gigawatts (GW) of total capacity additions from 2016 to 2029. The remainder of Mexico’s projected capacity additions are made up of renewables (20.4 GW) and nuclear (3.9 GW). The growth in natural gas-fired capacity is projected to accelerate sharply over the next four years, with SENER projecting that 14.7 GW of new gas-fired capacity will come online by 2020. New natural gas-fired capacity additions are planned to continue through 2029, replacing more than 15.9 GW of retiring capacity, of which most are plants fueled by coal and fuel oil. Most new natural gas-fired capacity additions will be located in the northern and central parts of the country.

New natural gas-fired plants will greatly increase Mexico’s natural gas demand. SENER projects an increase in natural gas demand by the power generation sector from 3.6 billion cubic feet per day (Bcf/d) in 2015 to 5.4 Bcf/d in 2029. Expected demand growth will be met mainly by a combination of increasing imports of natural gas from the United States and by large expansions of both cross-border U.S.-Mexico pipeline capacity and Mexico’s domestic natural gas pipeline networks.

Recent reforms in Mexico’s electricity sector are intended to open it to private investment and create a new wholesale power market to encourage development of cost-effective electric capacity, reduce high electricity costs, and transition Mexico’s generation fleet to cleaner fuels. Much of the new natural gas-fired capacity added in recent years replaced petroleum-fired capacity. More than 4.3 GW of fuel oil units were converted to natural gas by the end of 2016. Mexico’s Federal Electricity Commission is targeting a 90% reduction in the country’s fuel oil consumption for electricity generation between 2012 and 2018, leaving the remaining fuel oil power plants to serve as peaking units for reliability purposes. Most fuel oil plants will be retired, with 6.2 GW scheduled to be retired from 2016 to 2020 and another 4.7 GW from 2021 to 2029, according to SENER.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

U.S. Natural Gas Pipeline Exports to Mexico
https://www.eia.gov/dnav/ng/hist/n9132mx2m.htm

Offline thackney

New U.S. border-crossing pipelines bring shale gas to more regions in Mexico
https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=28972
DECEMBER 1, 2016

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
IMHO we should be moving away from fossil fuels and toward new tech nuclear for stationary power generation purposes.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

All that gas south translates to a whole lot of money to USA.  Good for us.

And not much Mexico can do as it needs the energy desperately.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

IMHO we should be moving away from fossil fuels and toward new tech nuclear for stationary power generation purposes.

The amount of methane available on this planet is massive.  To ignore it for other more expensive fuel sources seems rather foolish.

Shale and coal bed methane have become very significant source, but methane hydrates dwarfs all of them together.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
The amount of methane available on this planet is massive.  To ignore it for other more expensive fuel sources seems rather foolish.

Shale and coal bed methane have become very significant source, but methane hydrates dwarfs all of them together.

I'm not ignoring anything! I'm just for putting EVERYTHING to it's most practical use!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

I'm not ignoring anything! I'm just for putting EVERYTHING to it's most practical use!

So what actions would you want to see happen to follow through with your statement:

we should be moving away from fossil fuels and toward new tech nuclear for stationary power generation purposes

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
So what actions would you want to see happen to follow through with your statement:

Firstly I would create an environment that would make it possible to put ALL sources of energy to their most practical use!  In other words, I would get the government the hell out of the way and let the marketplace dictate what get's used where and for what purpose!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

Firstly I would create an environment that would make it possible to put ALL sources of energy to their most practical use!  In other words, I would get the government the hell out of the way and let the marketplace dictate what get's used where and for what purpose!

I would agree with that.  But without government pushing and subsidizing "carbon" concerns, no nuclear plants would likely get built in North America for the foreseeable future.  There is even now direct subsidy of some Nuclear Power just to keep the carbon neutral generation.

New York nuclear plant subsidies fuel controversy
http://www.platts.com/latest-news/electric-power/louisville-kentucky/new-york-nuclear-plant-subsidies-fuel-controversy-26565754

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Re: Natural gas-fired power plants lead electric capacity additions in Mexico
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 05:31:00 pm »
I would agree with that.  But without government pushing and subsidizing "carbon" concerns, no nuclear plants would likely get built in North America for the foreseeable future.  There is even now direct subsidy of some Nuclear Power just to keep the carbon neutral generation.

New York nuclear plant subsidies fuel controversy
http://www.platts.com/latest-news/electric-power/louisville-kentucky/new-york-nuclear-plant-subsidies-fuel-controversy-26565754

That may well be true but the government should not be picking winners and losers in any case!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 05:34:43 pm »
That may well be true but the government should not be picking winners and losers in any case!

Any and all cases.

So in current market conditions, would you say "we should be moving away from fossil fuels" is just wishful thinking with no actions expected?

Or am I still missing the point you were making?

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 05:38:02 pm »
Any and all cases.

So in current market conditions, would you say "we should be moving away from fossil fuels" is just wishful thinking with no actions expected?

Or am I still missing the point you were making?

I will stipulate that I SHOULD have added the words "as market conditions allow" to my earlier statement IF we truly had a free market in place.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 05:38:42 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 05:48:19 pm »
I will stipulate that I SHOULD have added the words "as market conditions allow" to my earlier statement IF we truly had a free market in place.

Thanks for the conversation.  Cheers!

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 05:58:11 pm »
Thanks for the conversation.  Cheers!

888high58888  Rather enjoyed it myself!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 08:43:49 pm »
Doesn't Mexico have to import nat gas from the US?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 10:48:31 pm »
@Bigun @thackney - that was a conversation between two guys who were really speaking the same language the entire time.  Agree totally - everything on the table.

It used to be years ago (remember the unforgettable Jimmy Carter years) that some were saying that natural gas was so limited in supply and such a noble energy resource that Carter mandated that it was not to be placed at the boiler tip to generate power.  Imagine how high our power bills right now would be if the libs prevailed on that one.

Having worked unconventionals for years, the amount of natural gas to be exploited in the future is simply staggering - My ideas are hundreds of years await before we have to worry.

It is a blessing from God, cheap, plentiful energy, ours for the taking.

I also believe if we can effectively eliminate the wind and solar subsidies, that industry will for the most part dry up, wither away and die.  Few of these installations can stand the marketplace without the US taxpayer. 

Every major source of wind and solar has a backup power generation as the wind and sun are not reliable 24/7 and that generation is generally natural gas fired.  Means there is an awful amount of unused natural gas power capacity sitting idle at any given time that could be generating a lot of electricity cheaper than wind or solar.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 10:52:34 pm »
@Bigun @thackney - that was a conversation between two guys who were really speaking the same language the entire time.  Agree totally - everything on the table.

It used to be years ago (remember the unforgettable Jimmy Carter years) that some were saying that natural gas was so limited in supply and such a noble energy resource that Carter mandated that it was not to be placed at the boiler tip to generate power.  Imagine how high our power bills right now would be if the libs prevailed on that one.

Having worked unconventionals for years, the amount of natural gas to be exploited in the future is simply staggering - My ideas are hundreds of years await before we have to worry.

It is a blessing from God, cheap, plentiful energy, ours for the taking.

I also believe if we can effectively eliminate the wind and solar subsidies, that industry will for the most part dry up, wither away and die.  Few of these installations can stand the marketplace without the US taxpayer. 

Every major source of wind and solar has a backup power generation as the wind and sun are not reliable 24/7 and that generation is generally natural gas fired.  Means there is an awful amount of unused natural gas power capacity sitting idle at any given time that could be generating a lot of electricity cheaper than wind or solar.

Nothing there for me to argue with!  My argument has always been, and always will be for markets free of government interference!

- J. R. R. Tolkien