Author Topic: Georgetown professor says whites should keep ‘individual reparations account’  (Read 543 times)

Offline corbe

Georgetown professor says whites should keep ‘individual reparations account’

By Jessica Chasmar - The Washington Times - Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Georgetown University professor and author Michael Eric Dyson says white people should keep an “individual reparations account” to make donations to black groups and atone for America’s history of slavery and racism.

Mr. Dyson was discussing his forthcoming book, “Tears We Cannot Stop: A Sermon to White America,” with New York Times Magazine when he touched on a subject in his book that talks about white people making reparations on the local and individual level.

The Times’ Ana Marie Cox said Mr. Dyson suggested donating to the United Negro College Fund or paying “the black person who cuts your grass double what you might ordinarily pay.”

“Look, if it doesn’t cost you anything, you’re not really engaging in change; you’re engaging in convenience,” Mr. Dyson said. “You’re engaged in the overflow. I’m asking you to do stuff you wouldn’t ordinarily do. I’m asking you to think more seriously and strategically about why you possess what you possess.

“That is what I meant by an I.R.A.: an individual reparations account,” he continued. “You ain’t got to ask the government, you don’t have to ask your local politician — this is what you, an individual, conscientious, ‘woke’ citizen can do.

<..snip..>

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jan/10/michael-eric-dyson-says-whites-should-keep-individ/

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Hoodat

Georgetown University professor and author Michael Eric Dyson says white people should keep an “individual reparations account” to make donations to black groups and atone for America’s history of slavery and racism.

I have never bought, sold, or owned slaves.  My Virginia ancestors never bought, sold, or owned slaves either.  Perhaps the professor should direct his instructions at the black African slavers who forced other Africans into bondage and sold them into slavery to begin with, over 80% of whom ended up in the Caribbean and South America.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
If this leftist whiner wants to give his money and property to people he thinks deserve it more than he does, he's free to.  But trying to shame those of us who are laughing at him and making fun of him for his irrationality into doing the same is both a losing proposition and terribly sad to see.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Sounds like he's trying to rebrand what conservatives know as "being a decent human being" as some reparative BS.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink