Author Topic: REVIEW: Why Conservatives Should Support 'Patriots Day'  (Read 1136 times)

Offline mountaineer

REVIEW: Why Conservatives Should Support 'Patriots Day'
« on: January 17, 2017, 02:49:46 pm »
REVIEW: Why Conservatives Should Support 'Patriots Day'
Christian Toto
Jan. 17, 2017
Peter Berg is a conservative movie goer's best friend.

Berg, the director of "Lone Survivor," "Deepwater Horizon" and now "Patriots Day," understands what makes America tick. He appreciates the blue collar workers who keep the nation chugging along. Berg's movies salute them without irony or disdain.

That doesn't mean he's a conservative.

He fought hard against the Romney/Ryan ticket four-plus years ago when it used an inspirational quote from his "Friday Night Lights" TV show. You probably won't see Berg on Inauguration Day wearing a red "Make America Great Again" hat.

Yet conservatives should applaud his vision all the same. There's simply no one else doing what he does in the industry.

Which brings us to "Patriots Day." The story recalls the horror of the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing which killed three people and left dozens severely wounded. Mark Wahlberg, Berg's Everyman muse, stars as a Boston cop on patrol during that horrific Spring day.

It's truly an ensemble film, though, gathering a terrific cast (John Goodman, Kevin Bacon, Michelle Monaghan) to show how a major city responded to the inhumane attack.

Here are five reasons every right-leaning movie goers should see "Patriots Day" ASAP.

1. It's Not Propaganda: Critics love to smear any film with pro-American themes with this ugly word. "Patriots Day" doesn't fit the description. The story lacks pointless sloganeering, the kind meant for an easy audience cheer. The questionable tactic of shutting Boston down to catch the terrorists is handled in a straightforward fashion. No judgment here. Audiences can make up their own minds. Heroism speaks for itself.

2. The Terrorists Are ... Terrorists: Whenever Hollywood deals with Islamic terrorism there's blowback from select liberals and Muslim groups. See "The Siege" for one early example. That leaves Hollywood scribes uneasy with speaking plain truths. The vast majority of terrorists today are radical Muslims. To deny that is silly. "Patriots Day" doesn't ignore that fact.   ...
More at Daily Wire

Mr. M and I hope to see the movie this afternoon and will report on our impressions.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: REVIEW: Why Conservatives Should Support 'Patriots Day'
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 03:50:05 pm »
Let us know what you think. I watched the TV trailer for Deepwater Horizon and found 4 errors in a 15 second trailer. (A hazard of  spending years on oil rigs). I hope he does better with this one.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 12:59:25 pm »
Now that we've seen the movie, I agree with the Daily Wire commentary. It's a good quasi-documentary account of the events from the night before the marathon to the capture of the younger Tsarnaev brother and the questioning of the older one's American widow. It depicts the terrorists as bad guys, which they were. No whitewashing there.

The Mark Wahlberg character, as noted in the article, is a "composite," not a real cop but he serves to exemplify the dedication and determination of law enforcement in catching these weasels. As such, he's conveniently everywhere, from the marathon finish line to the backyard where the younger brother was captured. Just about every other person, from the FBI agent in charge to Mayor Menino and Gov. Patrick, is a real person.

I agree with @Scutter that Deval Patrick may not be quite as manly and decisive as depicted, since in real life he's a sleaze and a hack. Some of the other characterizations of real-life people are a little odd. John Goodman is just goofy as the police commissioner. Admittedly, I was distracted by his eyebrows, which reminded me of the "Seinfeld" where Elaine used a Sharpie to give Uncle Leo giant fake black eyebrows. That, and a strange frowning facial expression he carried throughout the movie.

The carjacking of the Chinese fellow by the brothers and the man's escape was edge-of-the-seat stuff, as was the shootout in Watertown. I kept waiting for Tamerlan to get run over by Dzhokhar, and quietly cheered when it happened.  ^-^ The shooting of the MIT cop was heartbreaking (not sure how much of his story was true to life, though, e.g., his shy crush on a graduate student he planned to take to a Zac Brown concert).

As for the FBI trying not to offend Muslims by prematurely calling it terrorism, I suspect the movie is fairly accurate. It didn't take long, however, for Kevin Bacon (he's everywhere!) as the FBI guy to come to the appropriate conclusion when he saw the evidence scattered on the sidewalk of Boylston St. No doubt, the FBI were familiar with the same Al Qaeda-type training videos - how to stuff a pressure cooker full of shrapnel, in three easy steps! - the Tsarnaev brothers watched.

I only wish I had a dime for every f-bomb in this film. It would have covered the cost of the tickets and our dinner afterwards. The cursing got a little tiresome, actually, but probably was all-too accurate.

All in all, a good movie. Mr. M and I visit Boston almost every Patriots Day and he runs the marathon most years, so we loved the views of the city. One of the few years in the past 20 we didn't go was 2013, as he was injured and couldn't run that year. When he does run, the corner near the finish line where I wait for him to pass is just a few blocks from where the explosions occurred. Never were we so grateful to have missed a marathon.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 03:52:48 pm »
That must have been quite a moment when you saw the news about the bombing and realized you could easily have been one of the victims.
Indeed, although Mr. M would have finished the race by the time the bombs went off (thankfully), and we would have been walking back to the hotel by then, most likely.

Post-2013, the security precautions at the marathon are incredible. This past April, I must have passed through five checkpoints, each with a  very long line, just to get from our hotel near Fanueil Hall to a vantage point on the race route. We'll go again this April.