Author Topic: Could new investigation clear Buddy Holly pilot?  (Read 619 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Could new investigation clear Buddy Holly pilot?
« on: January 17, 2017, 01:43:42 am »
Could new investigation clear Buddy Holly pilot?
Monday, January 16, 2017
By DANA LARSEN / Pilot-Tribune Editor
A flight expert hopes to clear the name of pilot Roger Peterson of Alta.

A flight expert hopes to clear the name of pilot Roger Peterson of Alta.

A flight expert is appealing to the National Transportation Safety Board for a new investigation into the Iowa crash that killed rock and roll pioneer Buddy Holly - an investigation that could clear the name of the 21-year-old pilot from Alta who flew the Beechcraft Bonanza on February 3, 1959, dubbed "The Day the Music Died."

L.J. Coon, a pilot and aircraft dispatcher who has worked with the Transportation Safety Administration, has been campaigning for over two years to convince the NTSB to re-open the case.

His bid to erase the original determination of "pilot error" as the cause for the fatal crash was denied in March, 2015, but this month, the General Counsel for the NTSB suddenly reversed its stance and agreed to consider his request to re-open the case.

Continued: http://www.stormlakepilottribune.com/story/2377475.html

Lengthy article.

I always thought the pilot was way too young but the article does indicate he had quite a bit of experience.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 01:56:46 am by TomSea »

Wingnut

Re: Could new investigation clear Buddy Holly pilot?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 02:00:47 am »
When I was doing my ground school courses to get my instrument rating our instructor always said the Bonanza was a bitch to fly.  He called it the "Auger in" aircraft.