Author Topic: Cal Thomas: Why I am watching "Black America since MLK" (and you should, too)  (Read 438 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Cal Thomas: Why I am watching "Black America since MLK" (and you should, too)
By Cal Thomas Published November 23, 2016 FoxNews.com

That race continues to be a major source of anxiety and division in America is an undeniable fact. While some politicians continue to use race to divide, Harvard Professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. is trying again to bridge the gap in his latest PBS documentary series “Black America Since MLK.”

As a conservative white person, what I like about this program and Gates’ previous programs is that he doesn’t judge or preach. He lets facts and people speak for themselves. Many whites do not understand the African-American struggle, because they have not lived it. They should listen to the stories.

Oprah Winfrey quotes Jesse Jackson as saying, “Excellence is the best deterrent to racism.” Who could disagree with that?

The story that gripped my heart most is told by Ronald Day, a man who grew up in the projects and dropped out of high school because he saw no future for himself. Day turned to selling drugs and made a lot of money before he was eventually caught. He served 15 years in prison. A legitimate point is made that blacks go to prison more often than whites for selling basically the same drug — crack cocaine in mostly urban areas, powdered cocaine in middle- and upper-class neighborhoods.

Continued: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/11/23/cal-thomas-why-am-watching-black-america-since-mlk-and-should-too.html

Offline goatprairie

I don't know...in my neck of the woods many whites are caught making and selling meth and end up getting sent to prison. Nobody I know, all white people, feels sorry for idiots manufacturing, selling, or using meth or other drugs.  Why should people keep apologizing for blacks who get caught doing the same thing?
If Thomas is somehow trying to make a point that Evil Whitey is still holding back blacks, he's full of beans.  If I knew people who looked like me were more likely to be arrested for a certain crime, I'd certainly try not to commit that crime. That "blacks arrested more for the same crime than whites" story is mostly bogus. Blacks are far more likely to use illegal drugs, and as one study has shown, lie about their use of illegal drugs.
The study asked a group of whites and the a group of blacks if they used illegal drugs.  Both groups had about the same numbers who said they used illegal drugs. Then they did a drug test on the groups. They found the black group members has six times the amount of drugs in their system as the white members.