Author Topic: Church Bans Donald Trump’s Name Because It’s A ‘Trauma Trigger’  (Read 4066 times)

rangerrebew

Church Bans Donald Trump’s Name Because It’s A ‘Trauma Trigger’

January 16, 2017| by Brian Anderson

For the longest time Obama refused to use Donald Trump’s name, perhaps fearing it was some sort of evil incantation. A Church in California has picked up on this idea and will not allow Trump’s name to be used in any prayers. Their reasoning is that the President-elect’s name is a “trauma trigger” (whatever the hell that is) and is damaging to the congregation.

The rector for the All Saints Church in Pasadena, CA issued new guidelines for prayer in a blog post. While in the past the church has prayed for Barack Obama by name, from this point forward any prayers for the leader of the country will be for the title only. Instead of praying for Donald Trump specifically and by name, the prayer will henceforth be simply for “the president.”

The reason for this is particularly insane:

http://downtrend.com/71superb/church-bans-trumps-name-because-its-a-trauma-trigger
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 02:56:01 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Re: Church Bans Donald Trump’s Name Because It’s A ‘Trauma Trigger’
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 02:57:28 pm »
The rector of the church is proving why the word Christianity has become a "trigger" for so many people.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 03:00:42 pm »
So what's the denomination?  Episcopal, or Presbyterian?  Whichever, they're certainly no longer Christian.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 03:01:48 pm »
This church sounds more like a university faculty lounge than a house of worship.

Is there any place the left hasn't corrupted?

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 03:10:44 pm »
Tax the Hell out of this "Church".

Silver Pines

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 04:02:20 pm »
Erick Erickson ‏@EWErickson  2h2 hours ago
Geez.  If Trump is a “trauma trigger,” I bet this church never mentions hell and Satan.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 04:08:38 pm »
So what's the denomination?  Episcopal, or Presbyterian?  Whichever, they're certainly no longer Christian.
Episcopal.
Following our prophetic call, we seek to embody the inclusive love of God in Christ through Spirituality, Community, and Peace & Justice.

All Saints Church is committed to excellence in its many ministries, building on these foundational values:

We are worship centered.
Our pastoral, educational and discernment ministries are strengthened and transformed by gathering for Word, sacrament and corporate prayer.

We are pastorally connected.
We all give and receive pastoral care in our individual relationships and through the various groups that minister here.

We are education minded.
We prize learning, seeking to know the mind and will of God through Scripture, reason, tradition and human experience.

We are world focused.
Our personal journeys of faith are informed by and made accountable to the world’s deep needs when we are dispersed throughout this multicultural region for courageous and risk-filled work of peace and justice.

We are growth oriented.
In the service of this maturing, relevant, action-oriented faith, we seek to grow in membership as well as in resourceful, prayerful and collaborative service.
They seem to be centered, connected, minded, focused and oriented on a whole lot of stuff that has little to do with Jesus Christ.  Tradition and human experience on a par with Scripture? :shrug:

Their website.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 04:11:16 pm »
This shouldn't surprise anyone.
WEDDINGS
At All Saints Church we understand Holy Matrimony to be a physical and spiritual union, entered into within the community of faith, by mutual consent of heart, mind and will, and with intent that it be life-long.  We are committed to treating equally all couples presenting themselves for the rite of Marriage. Our commitment to the sacrament of marriage being celebrated within the community of faith informs our policy of offering weddings for members of the parish.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 04:12:28 pm »
They must mean the same kind of stupid "trauma trigger" as 'butt hurt' was declared here?   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 04:29:26 pm »
Episcopal.They seem to be centered, connected, minded, focused and oriented on a whole lot of stuff that has little to do with Jesus Christ.  Tradition and human experience on a par with Scripture? :shrug:

Their website.

Yeah, that reads like Episcopalian gibberish.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 04:31:07 pm »
They must mean the same kind of stupid "trauma trigger" as 'butt hurt' was declared here?   :laugh:

Yes, but you seem to have found all sorts of creative ways to be equally or more crude.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 04:55:41 pm »
Episcopal.They seem to be centered, connected, minded, focused and oriented on a whole lot of stuff that has little to do with Jesus Christ.  Tradition and human experience on a par with Scripture? :shrug:

Their website.

Figures.  The Episcopal Church hasn't been Christian for quite some time.  That's the reason they were read out of the Anglican Communion, as I recall.
My political philosophy:

3) Leave me alone!

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 05:02:46 pm »
If something is a 'trauma trigger' to members of their church, they probably are focusing on the wrong things in their teachings.

Wingnut

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 05:06:01 pm »
That church is gay.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 05:15:24 pm »
Yes, but you seem to have found all sorts of creative ways to be equally or more crude.

That's a personal attack, @Sanguine

....or should I call you "MOD 2"??   :whistle:

Be fair...or be square.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 05:27:01 pm »

Be fair...or be square.

Didn't mean to trigger you.  Call whomever you like if you feel you need backup.

Just making a comment.   
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 05:32:18 pm by Sanguine »

Offline r9etb

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 05:31:57 pm »

Um... this is the so-called "three-legged stool" of Anglican theology: "Scripture, Tradition, and Reason."

Every church and denomination has these things.  The Anglican Tradition just states it clearly.

Fair disclosure: I'm an enthusiastic Episcopalian despite the political trends of the larger church.  The liturgy and traditions feed my soul.  That said, the parish in question looks like one of those places where people are angry all the time, about everything -- it makes me grind my teeth in frustration. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 05:34:15 pm »
Um... this is the so-called "three-legged stool" of Anglican theology: "Scripture, Tradition, and Reason."

Every church and denomination has these things.  The Anglican Tradition just states it clearly.

Fair disclosure: I'm an enthusiastic Episcopalian despite the political trends of the larger church.  The liturgy and traditions feed my soul.  That said, the parish in question looks like one of those places where people are angry all the time, about everything -- it makes me grind my teeth in frustration.

I'm an ex-Episcopalian, and I hate that I had to leave.  We got a priest in the mold of the national church, and I just couldn't support it.  I love the Church, but just can't support what it has become.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2017, 05:46:25 pm »
I'm an ex-Episcopalian, and I hate that I had to leave.  We got a priest in the mold of the national church, and I just couldn't support it.  I love the Church, but just can't support what it has become.

Sorry to hear that.  It's a pretty delicate balancing act these days.  My parish survived a very ugly split, which I'm convinced that God used to show us what was important.  For now we seem to deal pretty well with the rather wide political spectrum among the congregation.  It's all about keeping our eyes on what's important; politics doesn't actually seem to matter much on a Sunday morning or in Vestry meetings or in our ministries, and we try very hard to keep that in mind.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2017, 07:07:35 pm »
Well, I'm Orthodox (Russian).  We've seen Christians who have left the Episcopal Church due to its apostasy come to us in search of a spiritual home.  They're always welcomed to learn about Orthodoxy and to join us if they find us to be the home they've been looking for.
My political philosophy:

3) Leave me alone!

Offline endicom

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 07:47:43 pm »
A Church in California...

That triggered my funny bone. I suppose I should be ashamed of that.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2017, 07:54:19 pm »
I didn't get a chance earlier to comment - but will now - that this Pasadena church doesn't seem to have much in common with the Episcopal church in my town, which truly does appear to respect what the Bible says. I'm not a member of that church but know a few, and I have every confidence that the congregation focuses on Biblical truth, not so-called social justice. We really shouldn't generalize. There are good Episcopalian pastors and many good churches - just not the one in Pasadena of which we speak.

As a Presbyterian, I can attest that there are a few PCUSA congregations left that haven't gone off the (theological and doctrinal) rails, as well!

Oceander

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2017, 07:55:14 pm »

Be fair...or be square.

I thought I was MOD 2?  Maybe I could apply to be MOD 007?

Offline Mod2

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2017, 07:57:31 pm »
I am Mod2, the Great and Powerful!