Author Topic: LCS Minehunting Package Near Completion  (Read 243 times)

rangerrebew

LCS Minehunting Package Near Completion
« on: January 13, 2017, 11:41:45 am »
LCS Minehunting Package Near Completion

One of Helicopter Combatant Squadron 23’s MQ-8B Fire Scouts prepares to land aboard littoral combat ship USS Coronado (LCS 4) Oct. 6, 2016, in the Pacific Ocean. Currently on a rotational deployment in support of the Asia-Pacific Rebalance, Coronado is a fast and agile warship tailor-made to patrol the region’s littorals and work hull-to-hull with partner navies, providing 7th Fleet with the flexible capabilities it needs now and in the future. (U.S. Navy photo/Michaela Garrison)One of Helicopter Combatant Squadron 23’s MQ-8B Fire Scouts prepares to land aboard littoral combat ship USS Coronado (LCS 4) Oct. 6, 2016, in the Pacific Ocean. Currently on a rotational deployment in support of the Asia-Pacific Rebalance, Coronado is a fast and agile warship tailor-made to patrol the region’s littorals and work hull-to-hull with partner navies, providing 7th Fleet with the flexible capabilities it needs now and in the future. (U.S. Navy photo/Michaela Garrison)

Posted By: Hope Hodge Seck January 12, 2017

The first littoral combat ships are set to deploy with mine countermeasures packages, including airborne systems and unmanned technology, by the end of the decade, Navy and Marine Corps officials said Wednesday.

One of the three missions the small surface ships are set to take on is mine countermeasures, replacing the Navy’s aging fleet of Avenger-class mine countermeasures [MCM] ships. But they’ll do the job using a new range of technologies, many of which are unmanned. This, officials said, will allow the Navy to “take the sailor out of the minefield” and complete longer missions with fewer resources.

http://www.dodbuzz.com/2017/01/12/lcs-minehunting-package-near-completion/
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 11:42:38 am by rangerrebew »