Author Topic: Mattis Hearings  (Read 766 times)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Mattis Hearings
« on: January 12, 2017, 05:53:40 pm »
Mattis backs women in combat, NATO alliance

WASHINGTON — Marine Corps Gen. James Mattis told the Senate on Thursday that he has no plans to review policies allowing women to serve in combat roles if he is confirmed as defense secretary.

Mattis, 66, was grilled by members of the Senate Armed Services Committee during a confirmation hearing about his past comments that questioned whether integrated military service could be successful. The retired general said Thursday that he would follow the Pentagon policy changes made in December 2015 that allow women into combat occupational specialties, after years of front-line duty in other positions.

“I have no plan to oppose women in any aspect of our military,” Mattis said.

President-elect Donald Trump, who picked Mattis last month as his defense secretary, has suggested he might press the Pentagon to abandon combat integration after his repeated criticism of “political correctness” harming the military....

So I read this and got pissed, then read a bit further....

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., questioned Mattis about his 2015 comment that mixing men and women in combat could create sexual desires and has not been successful at any time in history.

Have you changed your view on this issue?” said Gillibrand, who has threatened to oppose a needed waiver that will allow Mattis to be confirmed.

Mattis said he was retired and not planning to return to government service when he made the comments, and that he would follow policy changes that have been made if confirmed.
“If someone brings me a problem, I will look at it but I am not coming in looking for problems,” he said.

Heh.

He didn't actually answer the bolded question, and she apparently was content to hear what she wanted to hear.  All he really promised was that he wouldn't be the one to raise the issue, but he never indicated that his actual position on the issue has changed.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Mattis Hearings
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 06:03:40 pm »
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,243633.0.html
Mattis Shuts Gillibrand Down On LGBT Military: I Don’t Care Who People ‘Go To Bed With’ [VIDEO]

fixed
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 06:50:33 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 06:34:45 pm »
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,243631.msg1188574/topicseen.html#msg1188574
Mattis Shuts Gillibrand Down On LGBT Military: I Don’t Care Who People ‘Go To Bed With’ [VIDEO]
@mystery-ak
wrong link.  you are looping us! :beer:

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 06:40:38 pm »
@mystery-ak
wrong link.  you are looping us! :beer:

"You have entered..."
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 06:52:49 pm »
fixed the link...that's what happens when I have too many tabs open...

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34