Author Topic: Rubio, Tillerson spar over Russia  (Read 2434 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rubio, Tillerson spar over Russia
« on: January 11, 2017, 04:29:40 pm »
Rubio, Tillerson spar over Russia
By Ben Kamisar and Devin Henry - 01/11/17 11:21 AM EST

Florida Republican Sen. Marco Rubio laid into Secretary of State nominee Rex Tillerson for failing to take a hard line on repercussions for Russia's conduct in the Syrian civil war and Russian cyberattacks.

Tillerson resisted Rubio’s contention that Russian President Vladimir Putin is a war criminal because of Moscow's role in Syria and his support for Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad's regime.

“Those are very, very serious charges to make and I would want to have much more information before reaching that conclusion,” he said. “I am sure there is a body of record in the classified realm. I would want to be fully informed before advising the president.”

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/313757-rubio-tillerson-spar-over-russia
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline dfwgator

Re: Rubio, Tillerson spar over Russia
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 04:33:36 pm »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 04:39:52 pm »
Rubio is a dope. Assad was the only one keeping Christians alive in that country. Without him it would be a muslim takeover. Rubio and his pal Obama are the ones who destabilized the country and allowed ISIS to start taking over with their interventionist garbage.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 04:52:13 pm »
Rubio is a dope. Assad was the only one keeping Christians alive in that country. Without him it would be a muslim takeover. Rubio and his pal Obama are the ones who destabilized the country and allowed ISIS to start taking over with their interventionist garbage.

I liked Rubio, but he was basically the GOP version of Hillary Clinton when it came to foreign policy.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 04:52:37 pm »
Daddy Assad helped kill 250 Marines in the Beirut barracks bombing, Lebanon, Bashar let Jihadists attack our troops and coalition troops in Iraq from Syrian soil to where the Bush administration almost expanded the war, Syria is largely run by Iran whose General Soleimani helped kill 500 US soldiers in Iraq. Screw Assad, Syria and Iran. Christians are also among the opposition in Syria. Except, maybe we shouldn't have gotten involved in the first place.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 04:53:15 pm by TomSea »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 04:59:48 pm »
Two thoughts here; Rubio is still disgruntled that he lost Florida during the presidential campaigns and is going to be a thorn in Trump's side in the Senate, but I am glad to see Tillerson being challenged and I hope others question his qualifications as well.  I believe Tillerson is a huge mistake; he is a businessman.  He is the CEO of Exxon Mobile.  Where is his experience to qualify him for such an extremely important position in our government dealing with foreign policy?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 05:06:44 pm »
  I believe Tillerson is a huge mistake; he is a businessman.  He is the CEO of Exxon Mobile.  Where is his experience to qualify him for such an extremely important position in our government dealing with foreign policy?

Yeah, because all the Ivy League educated lifetime govt' bureaucrats we have had over the last 30 years have been so awesome. The last decent one we had was George Shultz. 

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 06:35:24 pm »
Yeah, because all the Ivy League educated lifetime govt' bureaucrats we have had over the last 30 years have been so awesome. The last decent one we had was George Shultz.

Point made.  The experience of the last two hasn't exactly been an asset that's for sure.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 07:39:41 pm »
Daddy Assad helped kill 250 Marines in the Beirut barracks bombing, Lebanon, Bashar let Jihadists attack our troops and coalition troops in Iraq from Syrian soil to where the Bush administration almost expanded the war, Syria is largely run by Iran whose General Soleimani helped kill 500 US soldiers in Iraq. Screw Assad, Syria and Iran. Christians are also among the opposition in Syria. Except, maybe we shouldn't have gotten involved in the first place.

I don't think it is as bad of an idea as you do.

Think of it this way:

We've tried piece through a variety of means over the years (strength, meddling, isolation, sanctions, etc.....)
Why not try peace through trade?

Two parties that have mutually beneficial co-existence would be less likely to harm one another, and help moderate the more radical elements in their own countries.

I may not work any better than the other methods have, but we cannot say we've had these brilliant foreign policy wins lately.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 07:41:43 pm »
Sorry @TomSea

This was supposed to be and answer to @libertybele for this:

"  I believe Tillerson is a huge mistake; he is a businessman.  He is the CEO of Exxon Mobile.  Where is his experience to qualify him for such an extremely important position in our government dealing with foreign policy?"

Offline skeeter

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 07:57:49 pm »

Think of it this way:

We've tried piece through a variety of means over the years (strength, meddling, isolation, sanctions, etc.....)

Two parties that have mutually beneficial co-existence would be less likely to harm one another, and help moderate the more radical elements in their own countries.

I may not work any better than the other methods have, but we cannot say we've had these brilliant foreign policy wins lately.
After the misadventures of the past several decades it would be nice to have a few years of national introspection before we set off once again to change the world. Give us some time to remember what we as a nation stand for, and what a foreign policy goal would have to be worth before we shed more American blood.

But I do not believe the Russians and Chinese will afford us that luxury.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 08:03:43 pm »
Tillerson answered questions on Ukraine like a hawk; said the takeover of Crimea should have been met with equal force, says we should have armed Ukraine better.  Assuming he isn't lying and perhaps with a bit more questioning,  I think he did well.

http://www.voanews.com/a/tillerson-to-address-russia-nato-in-opening-statement-to-senate/3671630.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/tillerson-i-would-have-responded-to-russia-taking-crimea-with-equal-force/

Offline TomSea

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 08:07:33 pm »
Sorry @TomSea

This was supposed to be and answer to @libertybele for this:

"  I believe Tillerson is a huge mistake; he is a businessman.  He is the CEO of Exxon Mobile.  Where is his experience to qualify him for such an extremely important position in our government dealing with foreign policy?"

That's a good point. I thought he did field his questions well this morning. But as to dealing with Iran, we will see, I saw a list of Republican Senators questioning if he is qualified, it's beyond McCain and Graham, it was Senator Inhofe, OK and about 3 or 4 more.

http://www.voanews.com/a/tillerson-to-address-russia-nato-in-opening-statement-to-senate/3671630.html

I guess this is why he is being interrogated heavily.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 08:09:52 pm »

Think of it this way:

We had too much regime change under Obama; and perhaps including Bush too.

I can see wanting to get the occasional bad apple dictator out of the way but it seems we have done this too much.

When a real threat comes along, then it's harder to act.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 08:20:05 pm »
I believe Tillerson is a huge mistake; he is a businessman.  He is the CEO of Exxon Mobile.  Where is his experience to qualify him for such an extremely important position in our government dealing with foreign policy?

He may or may not be any good. 

On the upside, he has extensive experience dealing and negotiating with people and governments at a very high level (a plus); and a necessary knowledge of conditions within various important countries in ways (commercial/business) that probably brings a valuable and long-missing component to the worldview of the SoS. 

On the downside, he probably doesn't readily understand the national security and military aspects of the job.  This isn't insurmountable, but it could lead to rookie mistakes.  Also, he will no doubt be actively hampered by the careerists in the State Dept., although that's probably a given regardless of who is SoS.

It's highly likely that he will be motivated to act in the national interest -- the difficulty there being, it's up to Trump to define what that means, and we don't really have a good sense of how Trump would assess such things.

HonestJohn

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 10:12:15 pm »
Point made.  The experience of the last two hasn't exactly been an asset that's for sure.

What people forget is that the Secretary of State is not a free agent that can do anything they please.

They get their marching orders from the President.

And if the President is hell-bent on doing stupid (bleep)... the the Secretary of State must do their level best to make it happen. 

If a lot of stupid (bleep) gets done... then the Secretary was very competent at translating the President's orders into reality.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2017, 10:14:14 pm »
He may or may not be any good. 

On the upside, he has extensive experience dealing and negotiating with people and governments at a very high level (a plus); and a necessary knowledge of conditions within various important countries in ways (commercial/business) that probably brings a valuable and long-missing component to the worldview of the SoS. 

On the downside, he probably doesn't readily understand the national security and military aspects of the job.  This isn't insurmountable, but it could lead to rookie mistakes.  Also, he will no doubt be actively hampered by the careerists in the State Dept., although that's probably a given regardless of who is SoS.

It's highly likely that he will be motivated to act in the national interest -- the difficulty there being, it's up to Trump to define what that means, and we don't really have a good sense of how Trump would assess such things.

Energy Policy is a huge part of our National Security and I think Tillerson understands this fact more than his predecessors.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 10:37:31 pm »
Granted the past two SOS have been catastrophic. My concern is Tillerson not knowing the ins and outs of government procedures and no dealing whatsoever with our national security. As far as taking order from POTUS, I thought that the SOS advises and communicates to the POTUS and Congress about matters dealing with foreign policy, and also negotiates treaties and agreements with other countries; again someone who knows absolutely nothing about national security this is a concern. This is a very high level position and the lack of Tillerson's experience could be equally as detrimental to our country.

Trump is nominating some people with tremendous business experiences; but running a country isn't the same as running a business.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:38:29 pm by libertybele »

Offline beandog

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 10:42:45 pm »
Granted the past two SOS have been catastrophic. My concern is Tillerson not knowing the ins and outs of government procedures and no dealing whatsoever with our national security. As far as taking order from POTUS, I thought that the SOS advises and communicates to the POTUS and Congress about matters dealing with foreign policy, and also negotiates treaties and agreements with other countries; again someone who knows absolutely nothing about national security this is a concern. This is a very high level position and the lack of Tillerson's experience could be equally as detrimental to our country.

Trump is nominating some people with tremendous business experiences; but running a country isn't the same as running a business.
It can't hurt to try and run the country like a business.  We've done it the other way for a long time and things aren't working out so great lately. 

Offline r9etb

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 10:56:45 pm »

This doesn't worry me as much as it does you.

Tillerson's ability to deal with things like national security and governmental procedures can effectively handled by selection of the proper staff; Tillerson himself is undoubtedly intelligent and able enough to incorporate their recommendations into his decision-making process.  And his present experience is probably not devoid of those sorts of things in any case.

On the other hand, his experience as chief executive of a large, multinational/global corporation seems in many respects directly transferable to the main functions of the SoS.

If there is a concern, it's in his ability to deal with subtleties.  Diplomacy -- especially if you're a superpower -- has to deal with subtleties a lot.  Syria is a good example.  From a "stability of the region" standpoint, there's clearly a US interest in what happens there, but exactly what our position should be isn't particularly well-defined: there's no "good" solution; American foreign policy must therefore focus on the "least bad" solution, and then making sense of it to the world at large.

Tillerson's success or failure as SoS will lie in dealing with such things.  HRC and JF'nK had no clue what to do about subtleties, and regional disaster was the result.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:59:07 pm by r9etb »

Offline corbe

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2017, 11:32:33 pm »
Rubio: No decision yet on Tillerson

By Timothy Cama - 01/11/17 06:02 PM EST   5comments

(R-Fla.) hasn’t decided yet whether or not he will support Rex Tillerson, the nominee to be secretary of State.

Through three rounds of questioning that frequently became tense, Rubio tore into President-elect Donald Trump pick to lead the State Department for not clearly declaring countries as human rights violators, standing up for human rights and sufficiently criticizing Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Speaking with reporters after his third round of questions, Rubio said he had not been swayed one way or another on Tillerson.

“It’s clear that I’m concerned about some of his answers, and I’m encouraged by a few others. But obviously, I want to go back and think through this a little bit,” Rubio said, adding that he will submit some follow-up questions in writing to Tillerson.
Rubio would nearly certainly be the swing vote in the Senate Foreign Relations Committee if he votes against Tillerson, which would kill Tillerson’s nomination and prevent it from going to the full Senate for a vote.

Asked if he was leaning one way or the other on the former Exxon Mobil Corp. CEO, Rubio said “I wouldn’t characterize it that way quite yet.”

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/policy/international/313887-rubio-no-decision-yet-on-tillerson

He'll come around, McConnell owns him.  This is Rubio trying to stay relevant.  I wasn't to enthused with Tillerson either, but he's holding his own today and he is a Texan, so I'm coming around.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2017, 11:35:01 pm »

Trump and Tillerson have 40-50 years of management experience. Top management  guides, they don't "run."

During my corporate career, I worked with senior executives. We had board members, that included a former Sec. of Defense, and a former Deputy Sec. of Defense.

Government is highly screwed up. Workers create unnecessary complication, partly to make themselves important and necessary.

Private industry people can cut through a lot of government BS. I hope they do so.

Our corporate senior vice resident, that served as project manager for the Alaska Pipeline had a philosophy of management:

"What are we doing, why are we doing it, when are we going to stop?"

If it turns out that Trump and Tillerson cut some dead weight and overhead from our bloated bureaucracies, it will be fabulous.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 05:25:19 am »
Saddam Hussein and Bashar al Assad both Baathist.  I remember when they thought that Saddam' WMD's were shipped to Syria.  I still think they were.  If there weren't WMD's why did the Clintons keep a no fly zone and the UN weapons inspections?  Why was there Oil For Food and the sanctions that killed half a million children?  It is well known Assad has chemical weapons and has used them.  Saddam had them and used them also.  He is a bad guy who possibly worked with ISIS against Syrian Rebels.  And if you asked me I would also tell you I don't think Obama's Arab Spring was a good idea.  That to me is what started ISIS.  Don't count me in on any Assad/Putin love fest though.

http://townhall.com/columnists/johnhawkins/2016/02/21/show-this-column-to-anyone-who-claims-bush-lied-about-wmds-in-iraq-n2122278
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline DB

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 07:18:02 am »
It can't hurt to try and run the country like a business.  We've done it the other way for a long time and things aren't working out so great lately.

Fascism is running a country like a business where the "business" is what the boss says it is. Running a business is not about individual liberty or justice.

You are greatly mistaken.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2017, 07:27:51 am »

And Mussolini made the trains run on time too.

Just sayin...
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!