Author Topic: Monument to WWII Massacre of Poles Ransacked in Ukraine  (Read 554 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Monument to WWII Massacre of Poles Ransacked in Ukraine
« on: January 10, 2017, 09:47:15 pm »
Monument to WWII Massacre of Poles Ransacked in Ukraine
A monument to the victims of a World War II massacre in a western Ukrainian village has been destroyed by vandals, local police said on Tuesday.

National Police in the Lviv region said in a statement that vandals destroyed a stone cross in Huta Pieniacka that commemorated Polish villagers who were massacred in 1944 by a Nazi unit mostly composed of Ukrainian volunteers. Up to 900 people are believed to have been killed in the village, according to the Polish Institute of National Remembrance.

The monument was erected in 2005.

Footage on Ukrainian media showed the toppled cross and two stone slabs bearing the names of the victims painted over with the colors of the Ukrainian flag and the colors of Ukrainian nationalists.

Continued: http://www.voanews.com/a/ukraine-poland-monument-ransacked/3670514.html

http://joinfo.com/world/1021063_poland-urges-ukraine-to-investigate-wwii-massacre-monument-destruction.html

Twitter:
Tom Parfitt @parfitt_tom
Monument to Poles massacred by Nazi unit mostly composed of Ukrainian volunteers in 1944 desecrated in Lviv region:
http://www.rferl.org/a/ukraine-live-blog-events/28023694.html

Offline dfwgator

Re: Monument to WWII Massacre of Poles Ransacked in Ukraine
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 09:49:29 pm »
The one thing Poles and Russians have in common is hatred for Ukrainians, especially the Bandera-worshippers.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 09:57:49 pm »
Disturbing story, most Ukrainians seem decent. Of course, I've seen those equally disturbing photos from back then of when the Nazis were in power. I thought no country over there was standing by Ukraine as much as Poland.

The bogeyman of Neo-Nazis is often brought up by the Pro-Russian side. So, bad news. Neo-Nazis probably did this; but we will see if anyone is brought up on charges, one never knows. Things could be done to turn one against another.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 09:59:17 pm »
Disturbing story, most Ukrainians seem decent. Of course, I've seen those equally disturbing photos from back then of when the Nazis were in power. I thought no country over there was standing by Ukraine as much as Poland.

The bogeyman of Neo-Nazis is often brought up by the Pro-Russian side. So, bad news. Neo-Nazis probably did this; but we will see if anyone is brought up on charges, one never knows. Things could be done to turn one against another.

Massacres of Poles in Volhynia and Eastern Galicia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacres_of_Poles_in_Volhynia_and_Eastern_Galicia

Offline TomSea

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 10:32:13 pm »
I've searched the figures out before, there were also many Ukrainians in the Soviet Red Army, a significant portion and who gave their lives. We should not forget this.

The Slovaks were aligned with the Nazis of course, the Czechs against them but those two became one nation after WWI.

There is a lot of history I don't know, but I do know this little bit.

And obviously, after the 1930s, the Ukrainians were likely not a fan of the Kremlin.

I'm glad those events are long past and I hope they never happen again.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 10:34:22 pm by TomSea »