Author Topic: Carl Edwards to retire from NASCAR racing, effective immediately  (Read 1426 times)

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Carl Edwards is walking away from NASCAR competition.

An announcement is scheduled for Wednesday at Joe Gibbs Racing.

Sources told Motorsport.com Edwards made the decision three weeks ago and that Daniel Suarez will pilot the No. 19 Toyota in 2017.

Suarez, who turned 25 on Saturday, is the defending Xfinity Series champion. The Monterrey, Mexico native won three races on way to his first NASCAR title. Suarez cut his teeth in the NASCAR Mexico Series and the K&N Pro Series East tour before graduating to the Camping World Truck Series and then NXS.

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/carl-edwards-to-retire-from-nascar-racing-effective-immediately-864387/

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Re: Carl Edwards to retire from NASCAR racing, effective immediately
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 04:22:56 pm »
Carl Edwards is still driving?
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 04:42:54 pm »
Carl Edwards is still driving?

Well he finished 4th in driver standings last season so yeah he was still driving very competitively. (6 poles and 3 wins in 2016)

Something is going on in NASCAR that is pushing drivers out at the top of their game. Guys like Edwards and Stewart still have the skills for championships. Older drivers who have retired like Mark Martin and Kenny Wallace both simply say it stopped being fun.
Without badmouthing anyone Martin makes it clear that he has zero interest in NASCAR aside from paying attention to how his friends are doing. Kenny Wallace races an even fuller dirt schedule and does the race shows but also makes it clear that he has zero interest in getting into a stock car ever again.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 04:50:34 pm by Cripplecreek »

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 05:46:27 pm »
Well he finished 4th in driver standings last season so yeah he was still driving very competitively. (6 poles and 3 wins in 2016)

Something is going on in NASCAR that is pushing drivers out at the top of their game. Guys like Edwards and Stewart still have the skills for championships. Older drivers who have retired like Mark Martin and Kenny Wallace both simply say it stopped being fun.
Without badmouthing anyone Martin makes it clear that he has zero interest in NASCAR aside from paying attention to how his friends are doing. Kenny Wallace races an even fuller dirt schedule and does the race shows but also makes it clear that he has zero interest in getting into a stock car ever again.

I think NASCAR stopped being fun for alot of drivers sometime ago.  Can't pinpoint a one off but more of a series of bullshit from the France toadies.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 06:26:41 pm »
I think NASCAR stopped being fun for alot of drivers sometime ago.  Can't pinpoint a one off but more of a series of bullshit from the France toadies.

Like bicycle racing?

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 06:37:52 pm »
Like bicycle racing?

You better watch it now sister.    *look*

^-^

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 07:00:17 pm »

I stopped watching a few years ago (OK, maybe about 10) because it seemed to start becoming like the WWE with storylines for everything. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some behind the scenes manipulations on leaders and winners to draw the best ratings. (things like favored drivers get penalties overlooked, allowed better engine tweaks, etc). It has become yet another sport based soap opera.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 07:45:17 pm »

I think enough drivers are going to return to dirt track racing that it will drive it to a higher level of national viewership. Kenny Wallace has stated that its what he would like to see happen as long as it can be driver controlled and fan oriented while keeping the corporate side at bay.

I love the speed of NASCAR but something has to change. I personally prefer the Saturday night heat race format. I live about 6 miles from the fastest Track in NASCAR these days and used to go there for a Saturday race only to head down the road to Quincy and Butler motor speedway. Besides, sprint cars are wild animals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHmivSvW2T4
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 07:45:33 pm by Cripplecreek »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 09:24:22 pm »
I think enough drivers are going to return to dirt track racing that it will drive it to a higher level of national viewership. Kenny Wallace has stated that its what he would like to see happen as long as it can be driver controlled and fan oriented while keeping the corporate side at bay.

I quit watching about when Stewart left Gibbs... Couldn't take it any more - all the bouncy jangly bits on the screen, stupid, useless rules... phoney-baloney, plastic banana, whiney ass crybaby bull crap.

Watching off-road, mud, and dragstrip anymore.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 09:24:56 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 09:49:43 pm »

I gave up on NASCAR when the two door Taurus, a car I could not buy at the dealer, was cobbled together after the T-Birds were discontinued. It isn't stock car racing if it is not only not a stock car, but a car that doesn't even exist.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 10:33:39 pm »
I stopped watching a few years ago (OK, maybe about 10) because it seemed to start becoming like the WWE with storylines for everything. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some behind the scenes manipulations on leaders and winners to draw the best ratings. (things like favored drivers get penalties overlooked, allowed better engine tweaks, etc). It has become yet another sport based soap opera.
I can see just wanting to race and not play drama games for teevee.
Racing can be reality enough.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 10:55:01 pm »
I can see just wanting to race and not play drama games for teevee.
Racing can be reality enough.

20 years ago going to a NASCAR race was a whole different experience. Drivers were much more approachable, it didn't cost an arm and a leg to get into the garage area, plus you had to make trips to the car to drop off all the swag people were handing to you. I was walking out of there with 5 or 6 free cartons of smokes when it was Winston Cup.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 11:16:27 pm »
20 years ago going to a NASCAR race was a whole different experience. Drivers were much more approachable, it didn't cost an arm and a leg to get into the garage area, plus you had to make trips to the car to drop off all the swag people were handing to you. I was walking out of there with 5 or 6 free cartons of smokes when it was Winston Cup.
A lot like Sturgis before/after 1990 (50th anniversary, Harley on the NYSE, suddenly the IN thing to do), before that freebies, do Bike Week for under a c-note and go home with the saddlebags full and change in your pocket. After that, last year's shirt wasn't half-price clearance stock any more, it was a "collector's item", and camping fees went through the roof. Then you had to deal with the people who had never pulled a wrench looking down their noses at older hardtail riders... It changed, and not for the better.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 11:30:01 pm »
A lot like Sturgis before/after 1990 [...] It changed, and not for the better.

That's sad to hear... Seems I was there after the 90's, or at least later 90's, but maybe it was early enough in the change that it wasn't so apparent... though I do remember being pretty pissed at the cost at the campground... I was never much for swag, so I wouldn't have seen that.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 11:30:38 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 11:39:09 pm »
That's sad to hear... Seems I was there after the 90's, or at least later 90's, but maybe it was early enough in the change that it wasn't so apparent... though I do remember being pretty pissed at the cost at the campground... I was never much for swag, so I wouldn't have seen that.
The most noticeable change was in the AMA run patch (aside from things on Main Street and traffic). Before the 50th, it was one guy on a chopper riding past the faces (Mt. Rushmore) with the color of the background varying from year to year. The 50th patch was black. After that, it was a couple on a pacific coast goldwing looking bike riding past the faces, and back to a color background. Hmmm. Before the Rubbies got into it, hardly anyone stayed in a motel, and there was room at the campgrounds. That changed, too, and the rates went waaay up. About the same time Easyriders started their "Bros Club", where you could be a "Bro" for a mere $29.95 a year...'designer' leathers...and a police officer on every corner (and four more in between).
Oh, I still saw a lot of old friends, and the riding was good, even if the traffic was nuts. It just wasn't as much fun.
All that money flying around didn't change things for the better.

C S Lewis

Offline CSM

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 05:04:58 pm »

Ah, the good ole days!

I blame the negative changes on Toyota!   88888cool